FA QB Chase Daniel

5 years veteran who backed up Drew Brees and Alex Smith. Got to learn the ins and outs of both Sean Payton and Andy Reids offenses. Limited in game experience.

Played week 17 verses the chargers and went 16/27 for 157 in a win. In 2013 started 1 game going 20/30 for 200 yds 1 TD.

Good mobility. Limited arm talent, more of a game manager type. Never has been given the starting job and should be looking for one on the open market if he takes himeslf seriously (What competitor doesnt want a shot after 5 years). Could come as a cheap option for competition for EJ. Thoughts?

Edited by TallskiWallski83

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 years veteran who backed up Drew Brees and Alex Smith. Got to learn the ins and outs of both Sean Payton and Andy Reids offenses. Limited in game experience.

Played week 17 verses the chargers and went 16/27 for 157 in a win. In 2013 started 1 game going 20/30 for 200 yds 1 TD.

Good mobility. Limited arm talent, more of a game manager type. Never has been given the starting job and should be looking for one on the open market if he takes himeslf seriously (What competitor doesnt want a shot after 5 years). Could come as a cheap option for competition for EJ. Thoughts?

eh

Game manager? Can we get rid of that description? Don't all QBs manage the game?

I get the distinction. Basically, there are QBs who can take over a game with their arms and put the team on their backs to win, regardless of what happens in the other phases. You know who those guys are. Then there are QBs who can lead a team to victory if the other phases are all doing their jobs by not turning the ball over, relying on a strong run game, play action passes, and capable of making a clutch play when needed.Alex Smith types.

Not another Rob Johnson....

? Edited by YoloinOhio

I like Chase quite a bit as a guy that has potential to be an Alex Smith type. He was Brees' shadow in New Orleans. They were ultra competitive and Chase followed him everywhere. He showed well in his limited action and has learned under some great teachers. I could see him turning into like a Nick Foles or a Alex Smith. His talent keeps his ceiling lower than the elite guys but he is certainly worth kicking the tires on.

I like Chase quite a bit as a guy that has potential to be an Alex Smith type. He was Brees' shadow in New Orleans. They were ultra competitive and Chase followed him everywhere. He showed well in his limited action and has learned under some great teachers. I could see him turning into like a Nick Foles or a Alex Smith. His talent keeps his ceiling lower than the elite guys but he is certainly worth kicking the tires on.

If he is an accurate short to mid-range passer then he is better than what we have. If he can go through his reads quickly and know where to go with the ball then he is an upgrade.

As you noted he has limitations. If he didn't have some limitations he would be an entrenched starter somewhere else. Looking back at last season if the Bills had competent play at the qb position the complexion of the season would have been much different. Does anyone have any doubt that even with average qb play the Bills would have had at least another win or possibly two games? If that would have been the case the complexion of the past season would have been seen in a much more positive light.

Without a doubt there are no great options in the free agent qb market or trade market. But that doesn't mean that a solid option can't be added to the roster that will make this team more competitive. Whaley made last year's trade up for Watkins with the expectation that it would have been a difference maker for this franchise. It didn't work out the way he expected because of the void at qb. If he wants to get a better return on that Watkins deal he needs to have someone capable of getting him the ball.

Edited by JohnC

I could see him turning into another Chase Daniel. One word. Journeyman. We don't need another journeyman at the helm of this team. We've tried it too many damned times in the last 15 years and it has consistently FAILED.