Bills want Hackett back

The Big Cat

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at your source. Believe it when someone credible reports it.

Exactly...does he ever get Bills news right?

This is same guy who incorrectly reported Bills were on the hook for 5.5mil next year to Mike Williams regardless if they cut him and of course all the Polian stuff he kept putting out there.

All we need to do is look back at Fred's comments after the season...he basically came out and said the playcalling wasn't Nate's.

I remember that, and wonder how he would know one way or the other. He doesn't have a headset, or a receiver in his helmet, ever.

He should go back to being a video assistant, where he woudl be if not for his last name. The fact that he was both our OC and QB coach for EJ's rookie year was a joke. It's not his fault but he was not qualified. Hopefully, he is forced to climb the ladder legitmately, which will make him a better coach IMO.

Pretty sure LaCanfora is misinformed about this, as he's been known to be when it comes to Bills news.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind this. Hackett got shafted here by Marrone.

The entire staff got shafted by Marrone. If he ever gets another shot as HC that will come back to bite him.

This is same guy who incorrectly reported Bills were on the hook for 5.5mil next year to Mike Williams regardless if they cut him and of course all the Polian stuff he kept putting out there.

Didn't the Polian stuff end up being true?

sure, we will take Hackett back. why not? those water bottles aren't going to fill themselves

LOL. This in a nutshell, took the words right out of my mouth. Honestly, happy to see that he's interviewing elsewhere for an OC position. I get that Fred Jackson is saying that "Hackett really wasn't calling the plays", but am not sold that that is the complete truth. Are people really buying that all Hackett did is hold a clip board and say "yes boss" every time Marrone told him to run something? The best business case that can be made for Hackett is that he was complicit in what Marrone wanted to do offensively. Together, they decided for example, that they would be conservative in the red zone such as to not turn the ball over. Together, they managed to field the 25th best offense in the NFL and the 30th best offense in the red zone. So that being the BEST case scenario for making an argument for Hackett, here are my issues with even considering this:

1. The offense was terrible. If there's even a remote chance that Hackett was calling the plays, I wouldn't want him back doing it again next year.
  2. If Marrone was calling the plays, Hackett didn't say a word ALL YEAR (that we know of) to anyone. That suggests that he either doesn't care or doesn't have a spine.
  3. If the latter part of #2 is right, do we really want to see him under Rex Ryan? Marrone was a strong personality, but Ryan makes him look downright docile.
  4. How do we possibly ignore the fact that this team went from one of the most potent rushing attacks in the NFL in 2013 to one of the worst in 2014? The Bills rushing attack yielded 36% less yards in 2014 than 2013 or a decline of 825 yards. The passing game only improved by 14% or 483 yards.
  5. Overall, the offense ranked 25th. Look at the playoff teams folks, of which there are 12. Only two teams had offenses there were NOT in the top half (16) of the NFL and that was Detroit and Arizona. They both lost in the wildcard round.

In a nutshell, I don't have a personal issue with Hackett. I just think this team needs a completely new identity under Rex Ryan, such that we're not sitting here next January saying "see.....they should not have brought Hackett back".

Two things.

The fact that it is getting leaked that Hackett is being interviewed does send the message that the Bills know Marrone was the problem. A little salt in Marrone's wound.

IF Hackett does have a good relationship with EJ and can help work with the O then why not?

I trust Whaley and Roman to figure this out.

and that Marrone was offered a lucrative extension by Pegs and still chose to leave.

Isn't this the same guy who reported "all signs point to Marrone as the next Jets coach" then he was the top candidate for I don't even remember?

Grain of salt, peops, grain of salt.

Isn't this the same guy who reported "all signs point to Marrone as the next Jets coach" then he was the top candidate for I don't even remember?

Grain of salt, peops, grain of salt.

All signs did point to Marrone as the Jets next head coach. And from what I know and can piece together they wanted to sign him and were going to, until the Mehta pieces and assistant coach Casullo bashing him came out in the press. Then I think during the interview, Woody Johnson got cold feet and probably didnt like Marrone's answers to those questions they posed. I don't think that was bad reporting at all. Most of the reporting after was they were going to sign him, Casserly their consultant was pushing for it, and Johnson got spooked so he said no.

and that Marrone was offered a lucrative extension by Pegs and still chose to leave.

And La Canfora's continued assurances that the Bills moving to Toronto was a "done deal." in fact, the guy loves the "done deal" phrase - I think every time he's used it, he blows it.

Edited by TheLynchTrain

So EJ wasn't ready to be a starting QB, but after sitting and watching for a while, just like Aaron Rodgers did, maybe now he's ready to step in.

Same with Hackett, maybe. He wasn't ready to be an OC but maybe if he steps back and coaches QBs for a year or so, he'll have a better idea what he's doing when he gets his next chance as an OC.