OSU's Cardale Jones considering NFL jump

Punch

Before the season, many thought Tannehill was a BUST!

and many were wrong

I don't believe he will declare, but if he does I could see Arians taking him in the 1st 3 rounds. He would love to work with that kind of player and they probably have Palmer in the short term

He took a chance on Logan Thomas last year and he's as much of a project as it gets at the nfl level.

BIG PROJECT

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's actually a pretty good point. If there is a QB starved team ahead of us willing to pull the trigger on Jones (if he enters), that may leave someone we want to be available later in the draft.

Yeah but it could also potentially make someone available that we will later lament having passed on. :thumbdown:

If his information is telling him he's gonna be a 2nd rounder, he should go. I would.

The only problem is, he has to make that decision by Jan. 15, then he will have to be dissected by the media and by scouts for five months. His stock might never be higher than it is right now, but the draft isn't right now.

I expect that for whatever round he's being told he'll go in, he has a chance to slip at least a round from there. His measurables will keep that stock relatively high.

But if you were being told you might be a third rounder, would you go?

The only problem is, he has to make that decision by Jan. 15, then he will have to be dissected by the media and by scouts for five months. His stock might never be higher than it is right now, but the draft isn't right now.

I expect that for whatever round he's being told he'll go in, he has a chance to slip at least a round from there. His measurables will keep that stock relatively high.

But if you were being told you might be a third rounder, would you go?

You're right.

But yes. If 4 QB's go this year, next year may be like 2013. A bunch of very late prospects, and all the QB needy teams with a guy or two. As a business decision, I'd go. From what I've heard, Cardale's tape is impressive. There's injuries, not starting etc to worry about next year in college. If he transfers, he has to wait two years. Go. Get paid. I haven't seen going back for one year be very beneficial. Risk/reward.

People are so worried about experience. You can either play football or you can't. It's not like he's sitting on the bench in the spring or during practice. He's still taking all those reps, competing for a spot. Anyone coming into the NFL has zero NFL experience. College and the NFL are not the same thing. So why should Jones stay? Newton had what, 1 season at Auburn? Beat the Ducks?

Situations are very similar except Newton had 7 more games than Jones and he went number 1 overall. Russell Wilson had 4 full seasons and went in the third. So are front offices more worried about experience or athleticism? Bottom line is, he's got the ability and he certainly has some serious mental fortitude to be dropped into the Big 10 Championship, Semi Final and National Championship and win all 3.

He's worth a look.

People are so worried about experience. You can either play football or you can't. It's not like he's sitting on the bench in the spring or during practice. He's still taking all those reps, competing for a spot. Anyone coming into the NFL has zero NFL experience. College and the NFL are not the same thing. So why should Jones stay? Newton had what, 1 season at Auburn? Beat the Ducks?

Situations are very similar except Newton had 7 more games than Jones and he went number 1 overall. Russell Wilson had 4 full seasons and went in the third. So are front offices more worried about experience or athleticism? Bottom line is, he's got the ability and he certainly has some serious mental fortitude to be dropped into the Big 10 Championship, Semi Final and National Championship and win all 3.

He's worth a look.

He's really not.

So Jones is ready for the NFL after three games and Manuel is a bust after fourteen, got it.

You lost me. What does the first statement have to do with the second? Couldn't they both be true, or neither? Or only one of them? I'm confused.

Besides for just having 3 starts what about his game don't you like?

He's probably never seen him play. I've seen guys with way less talent get drafted pretty high. As a mid round pick you've got nothing to lose. If he starts and plays even remotely well, you look like a genius. If he ends up being terrible well, 3rd round pick, no big deal. We've drafted worse in the third.