I'm sorry, but I think we took a big step back

Virgil

Also pigeon holding yourself to a offensive or defensive coach based on whichever side you were weaker at that season is pure idocy. You go get the best leader you can find and if he coaches the side of the ball you are good at, so be it.

The logic that if you just hire an "offensive guy" and he will fix the offense is pretty much the worst logic there is.

I think this misrepresents some of the arguments - it certainly misrepresents mine. I agree that what you want from a Head Coach is a great leader - I also think that what you want is someone who is capable of setting a direction on both sides of the ball and then empowering his coordinators and coaches to deliver that, whilst holding them accountable when they don't.

Jim Schwartz was a great coordinator for the Bills but I agree with the perception of Rex Ryan as arguably the best defensive mind in the NFL today. This defense with the talent we have should continue to be a top 5 defense and anyone who watched the Jets last year wil have seen that there was some 4-3 in their scheme even if they were primarily a 3-4 base. I would expect Rex is bright enough to keep a lot of the 4-3 that worked last year whilst I would suspect adding some 3-4 OLB pass rush and disguised blitz packages. I am not worried about us taking any kind of major step back defensively. That is not my problem with this hire.

Nor is my problem with this hire the fact we arguably needed more attention on the offensive side of the ball. If you think a guy is a great Head Coach or a potential great Head Coach you shouldn't worry what he coached before. I personally believe that John Harbaugh is second only to Belichick as the best Head Coach in the NFL today and he coached special teams. The skillset of being a coordinator and Head Coach are not the same so their coaching background is not that important.

But that point about the skillset not being the same..... that is where my issues with the Rex Ryan hire are. I do not believe he has proven himself to be an excellent Head Coach. He is an excellent defensive coordinator and that is how he ran the Jets - as a Defensive Coordinator in Chief. He called the plays 5 out of his 6 years there - and part of the reason Pettine walked was that Rex wanted to re-take play calling duties from him. Meanwhile his in game management, his clock management, his use of time outs, his knowledge even of what players and one formation groupings were on the field on offense is questionable. In an echo of Marrone in Denver he was once unaware that Schottenheimer Jnr had benched his best receiver for half a game.

There is no question that Idzik was a reason behind the slump in New York. But Rex's inability to set a direction on offense and his unwillignness to give up any control over the defense to allow himself to oversee what was going on in all phases definitely hamstrung him. It is ok pointing to when his offense was being at least semi functional with ground and pound and allowing his defense to carry the team to two AFC title games, but you can't ignore his gross failure to get the offense back on track since then. There have been Quarterback controversies each of the last 3 years, sub packags here and trcik plays there and no direction. Can you absolve him of that blame? If you accept that he was Defensive Coordinator in Chief then sure you can..... if you are talking about Rex Ryan the Head Coach? Then no you cannot.

The succcess or failure of this coming Bills season will now be placed on the shoulders of Greg Roman - because Rex will be calling the defense and that will be good so he will get a pass regardless. That is not the Head Coach that I believe the Buffalo Bills needed.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rex and Roman or Marrone and Schwartz -- which do you prefer?

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Neither actually. I would have liked to have seen a team president hired for the football side, and then let him make the decision.

Now we are caught up in the very same situation that has plagued the team for 50+ years with the owner making decisions (or in the loop with Whaley, Brandon). Considering the interview was at the owners house in Boca...Same Stuff, different city.

If Bill Polian had been hired he stated he would have needed to make changes to the scouting dept, and probably brought in ex Charger GM AJ Smith who is a senior executive with the Washington Redskins. What does that tell you about the current situation with the Bills FO?

I don't see how a man (Ryan) who is literally clueless about the offense / QB's helps in any way with the area of the team desperately needing help. Greg Roman had arguably the very best O line in the game in San Fran, and those players we all very good run blockers. Now fast forward to the Buffalo Bills with arguably the very worst O line in the NFL that has great difficulty in run blocking. Exactly how does the line get improved when the man in charge only made things worse for two years now.

This entire scenario is exceedingly frustrating to me.

I think this misrepresents some of the arguments - it certainly misrepresents mine. I agree that what you want from a Head Coach is a great leader - I also think that what you want is someone who is capable of setting a direction on both sides of the ball and then empowering his coordinators and coaches to deliver that, whilst holding them accountable when they don't.

Jim Schwartz was a great coordinator for the Bills but I agree with the perception of Rex Ryan as arguably the best defensive mind in the NFL today. This defense with the talent we have should continue to be a top 5 defense and anyone who watched the Jets last year wil have seen that there was some 4-3 in their scheme even if they were primarily a 3-4 base. I would expect Rex is bright enough to keep a lot of the 4-3 that worked last year whilst I would suspect adding some 3-4 OLB pass rush and disguised blitz packages. I am not worried about us taking any kind of major step back defensively. That is not my problem with this hire.

Nor is my problem with this hire the fact we arguably needed more attention on the offensive side of the ball. If you think a guy is a great Head Coach or a potential great Head Coach you shouldn't worry what he coached before. I personally believe that John Harbaugh is second only to Belichick as the best Head Coach in the NFL today and he coached special teams. The skill set of being a coordinator and Head Coach are not the same so their coaching background is not that important.

But that point about the skillset not being the same..... that is where my issues with the Rex Ryan hire are. I do not believe he has proven himself to be an excellent Head Coach. He is an excellent defensive coordinator and that is how he ran the Jets - as a Defensive Coordinator in Chief. He called the plays 5 out of his 6 years there - and part of the reason Pettine walked was that Rex wanted to re-take play calling duties from him. Meanwhile his in game management, his clock management, his use of time outs, his knowledge even of what players and one formation groupings were on the field on offense is questionable. In an echo of Marrone in Denver he was once unaware that Schottenheimer Jnr had benched his best receiver for half a game.

There is no question that Idzik was a reason behind the slump in New York. But Rex's inability to set a direction on offense and his unwillingness to give up any control over the defense to allow himself to oversee what was going on in all phases definitely hamstrung him. It is ok pointing to when his offense was being at least semi functional with ground and pound and allowing his defense to carry the team to two AFC title games, but you can't ignore his gross failure to get the offense back on track since then. There have been Quarterback controversies each of the last 3 years, sub packages here and trick plays there and no direction. Can you absolve him of that blame? If you accept that he was Defensive Coordinator in Chief then sure you can..... if you are talking about Rex Ryan the Head Coach? Then no you cannot.

The success or failure of this coming Bills season will now be placed on the shoulders of Greg Roman - because Rex will be calling the defense and that will be good so he will get a pass regardless. That is not the Head Coach that I believe the Buffalo Bills needed.

Great post :thumbsup: and it certainly misrepresents mine too. Now the entire job of producing a decent offense will be on the new OC's shoulders. I only hope he is up to the task.

Neither actually. I would have liked to have seen a team president hired for the football side, and then let him make the decision.

Now we are caught up in the very same situation that has plagued the team for 50+ years with the owner making decisions (or in the loop with Whaley, Brandon). Considering the interview was at the owners house in Boca...Same Stuff, different city.

If Bill Polian had been hired he stated he would have needed to make changes to the scouting dept, and probably brought in ex Charger GM AJ Smith who is a senior executive with the Washington Redskins. What does that tell you about the current situation with the Bills FO?

I don't see how a man (Ryan) who is literally clueless about the offense / QB's helps in any way with the area of the team desperately needing help. Greg Roman had arguably the very best O line in the game in San Fran, and those players we all very good run blockers. Now fast forward to the Buffalo Bills with arguably the very worst O line in the NFL that has great difficulty in run blocking. Exactly how does the line get improved when the man in charge only made things worse for two years now.

What if a football czar or Bill Pollian come in, after Marrone leaves and says Rex is the guy? Is it ok then? Or are they wrong?

That is the last I am saying on it. I'm now going to drink the koolaid watch tomorrow's press conference and throw my weight (which is not as signifciant as his weight) behind Rex Ryan - the Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills. I don't care about being proven right - indeed I want to be proven wrong. But my post above is my honest reaction to the hire.

I'm hopeful, but I see much of the same problems that plagued this team last year. Good defense, and mediocre/bad offense.

It really will depend on who we pick up in FA/draft on the offensive side, and if we maintain defensive quality by holding on to key players.

At this point, it's really on the GM, if we're going to improve or not.

Time will tell on how good or bad this hire is. From my standpoint, every "offensive minded" coaching canidate out there usually has a top flight QB at the helm. So from my stand point, is the player making the coach or is the coach making the player. For example - Adam Gase is a hot name right now. After what I saw Sunday, it appears to me that it's more Manning than Gase making that offense go.

Maybe Gase or Riech would come in and make the offense better. But would they make the overall team better? I'm not so sure - see Chan Gailey (who I have tremendous respect for) but let's face it he did a good job with the offense, but overall coaching of the squad was not what it needed to be.

I also believe that brining in a 1st time head coach is a bigger step backwards. I'd rather have a guy that's been there before, that has won in the league.

For those who don't like the hire, the only point i beleive make sense is that the consistancy is now gone. There is something to be said for this as it takes time to build trust with your team. That argument is valid.

The other arguements about Rex being a defensive guy an not knowing anything about offense, to me, don't have merit. Out of all the canidates Ryan has the most experience, has proven he can actually get a team to the playoffs with a subpar offense and a super defense (which is exactly what we have at the moment). Rex is ten times the leader that any other canidate is. Players want to play for him, that's a fact and players respond to him.

His 1st 2 years he split with the Patriots each season and had a playoff win against them in 2010. Yes he did tail off recently, but He has proven that he can beat the Pats - and can stay competive with washed up talent. He's not afraid of Belichick and Brady.

Hes a tough minded head coach. His players will play physical and be mentally tough.

There are plenty of reasons to get behind this hire.

Time will tell on how good or bad this hire is. From my standpoint, every "offensive minded" coaching canidate out there usually has a top flight QB at the helm. So from my stand point, is the player making the coach or is the coach making the player. For example - Adam Gase is a hot name right now. After what I saw Sunday, it appears to me that it's more Manning than Gase making that offense go.

Maybe Gase or Riech would come in and make the offense better. But would they make the overall team better? I'm not so sure - see Chan Gailey (who I have tremendous respect for) but let's face it he did a good job with the offense, but overall coaching of the squad was not what it needed to be.

I also believe that brining in a 1st time head coach is a bigger step backwards. I'd rather have a guy that's been there before, that has won in the league.

For those who don't like the hire, the only point i beleive make sense is that the consistancy is now gone. There is something to be said for this as it takes time to build trust with your team. That argument is valid.

The other arguements about Rex being a defensive guy an not knowing anything about offense, to me, don't have merit. Out of all the canidates Ryan has the most experience, has proven he can actually get a team to the playoffs with a subpar offense and a super defense (which is exactly what we have at the moment). Rex is ten times the leader that any other canidate is. Players want to play for him, that's a fact and players respond to him.

His 1st 2 years he split with the Patriots each season and had a playoff win against them in 2010. Yes he did tail off recently, but He has proven that he can beat the Pats - and can stay competive with washed up talent. He's not afraid of Belichick and Brady.

Hes a tough minded head coach. His players will play physical and be mentally tough.

There are plenty of reasons to get behind this hire.

Well said.

Also lost in all of this, Marrone was an offensive minded coach. Bringing him in didn't improve the offense.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Ugh -- Polian and Smith? Can't bring back the 90s, man...

I see all of this excitement and optimism but I just can't join in. And for the most part, I agree with most of the ESPN commentators when they talk about this change. I think we made a poor decision based upon our situation and are essentially throwing away any progress we made last year.

When I think about how the season ended and where we were at in terms of progression:

• Best record in over a decade
  • Best defense in over a decade
  • Year two of consistency
  • Declining Offense with no answer at QB

Based off of that, what did we improve?

• We brought in a defensive minded coach who runs a completely different scheme. A coach that ran a defense that made Kyle Orton look like Aaron Rodgers. I mean, we shredded them TWICE. A defense that was terrible against the run. Also, in making this change, we are going back to playing people out of position and reducing players like Hughes to situational pass rushers
    • This is speculation, but I'm also afraid that we are going to have to waste FA money and draft picks to bring in people to fit this scheme.
  • Offensively, we brought in an offensive coordinator who had Kaep regress under his watch. And sorry, but Kaep is better than EJ. They were terrible in the passing game with legit receivers and a Pro-Bowl TE. I get that they played elite defenses, but this is the NFL and no one is a cake walk. He produces a running game, but is based upon an offensive line that probably won't be able to be reproduced here with our talent for a little while.
End of the day, while personnel is a big factor, scheme and coaching is too. When the season ended, would you have wanted the San Fran offense and the Jets defense to replace our team? I would say no 10 times out of 10.

I get it. Fresh start, new players to them. But these are big leaps of faith that we can have the running game being promised and that the final 3 years of Rex's coaching career were the anomaly compared to his first 3 years as a head coach.

Again, I want to be optimistic but we basically gutted our strength and reinforced our weakness.

I share the aame sentiment. I a few years we will blow it up again. I dont think I will be as invested thia time around. Why jump on the bandwagon if it is on fire?

Bills =Sabres?

The other arguements about Rex being a defensive guy an not knowing anything about offense, to me, don't have merit.

Again - miss the point. It isn't that he doesn't know anything about offense. It is that he doesn't seem to care. He just churned through coordinators and churned through Quarterbacks as though there was a silver bullet magic answer instead of doing something fundamental to set a proper direction or follow through a vision and part of that is, in my opinion based on what I have read and heard, that he won't dedicate the time to it. He has admitted his love and passion for putting together defensive gameplans.... that is where given a choice he would rather spend his time.

I share the aame sentiment. I a few years we will blow it up again. I dont think I will be as invested thia time around. Why jump on the bandwagon if it is on fire?

Bills =Sabres?

Marrone opted out - we needed to hire a new a coach - I don't think anyone blew this up - it's jus thte circumstances.

If you wanted an offensive minded head coach that's fine, but that won't change the personnell. We still have the same talent - regardless of the who coach is.

People complain that we need someone to develop EJ - I've watched the kid for years, he's been the same player since he started at FSU - great physical talent, but inaccurate. Adam Gase or Darrell Beavell is going to change that. What helps EJ is having a solid running game and using play action to give him easy reads and easy throws. Maybe even a little read option. Point being that an offensive guy is not going to come in here and totally turn around the offense into a downfield passing attack, not with this personnel.

So let's say we draft a qb or sign a free agent. I get the point that maybe Rex can't develop a young guy. But honestly, there are 10-15 QB's in the league right now that I would consider above average in the league, maybe fewer if you think Manning and Brees are on their way out. From my perspective, at that position, the guy either has it or he doesn't. See Jon Gruden, Chris Palmer and Mark Trestmen who considered themselves QB guru's. At the position, I believe it's more about the player than coaching. Yes, there is some coaching that is needed to understand schemes and reads (which I think Rex can help with better than anyone else). But aside from that you need to be able to be accurate and throw the football. Dan Marino and Kelly probably didn't have the best foot work in the pocket (from a technical standpoint), yet they were accurate with the football. And were successful in any system they played. If Bill Belichick was available, yea you go hire him. But with what was out there, I'd rather go with a guy whose done it before than take a chance on a coordinator that has had success with talanted teams. Aside from Todd Bowles who I belive is the best available guy out side of Rex, each canidate has either had great talent around them. Obviously, if we hired bowles who did more with less last year, we would still be having the same discussion.

Point is if we hit on a QB the offense will be better no matter who is coaching. Defensive guy or offensive guy it won't matter. What will matter is if we have someone who can lead and get his team ready to play. And if we don't hit on a QB, then we have the right guy to get this team to where we want to go (the playoffs) because again he's already done it.

Now as for as the team president thing. I believe in, Whaley he has upgraded the talent on this team. That's undeniable. If we brought ina new front office, wouldn't that now be blowing things up even more? I think you give Whaley a chance. Remeber, he has brought in veteren QB's and drafted one. Since he took over, there hasn't been a qb on the market that was above average, nor has there been a qb drafted that I think is better than what Kyle Orton is.

Time will tell with Bridgewater and Carr - I agree there is potential there, but I think overall its a crap shoot picking that position (again see Brian Billick who rotated QB's for years in Baltimore and couldn't find one. His claim to fame was his offensive mind, but let's not forget it was the defense that won him a superbowl, not the offense. His offense in the super bowl year was terrible. I believe there was a strech where they didn't score a TD on offense for a few games.

It's mind boggling to me how people could be so down on this hire.

There may have been less running attempts, but I'd doubt it's a very big number. The TRUE barometer is the YPC and the Jest held opponents to 3.8 yards per carry. We were over 4. Not that it's a huge difference as I think our run D was fine, but it's a stretch to say the Jest had a bad run defense. They didn't.

GO BILLS!!!

For his 6 years at the Jets their YPC D was ranked 4, 3, 7, 21, 1, 6.

I don't think anyone can reasonably argue that his defenses can't stop the run.

What if a football czar or Bill Pollian come in, after Marrone leaves and says Rex is the guy? Is it ok then? Or are they wrong?

I know I'd feel a whole lot better about the future of the team going forward had the owner hired a czar or Polian first, and then they made the decision on Ryan. Right now it looks to me like Brandon, Whaley helped push the new owner into this decision for obvious reasons.

I get that Ryan will have the Bills defense playing as well or even better then Schwartz / Pettine had them playing. In my view this doesn't equate to beating the Patriots 2x, winning the division or even a winning record. Look at Ryan's record against Belichick, 3-9 over 6 seasons, and 1-7 over the last 4. This was with his Jets defense being in the top ten every year.

Whats mind boggling to me is how many are jumping on the bandwagon for a 4-12 coach. I look at Ryan and see a loud mouthed buffoon who didn't keep his promises to win a super bowl with the Jets. At the end of his time with the Jets he was just a fading soundbite with no credibility.

Again - miss the point. It isn't that he doesn't know anything about offense. It is that he doesn't seem to care. He just churned through coordinators and churned through Quarterbacks as though there was a silver bullet magic answer instead of doing something fundamental to set a proper direction or follow through a vision and part of that is, in my opinion based on what I have read and heard, that he won't dedicate the time to it. He has admitted his love and passion for putting together defensive gameplans.... that is where given a choice he would rather spend his time.

I see your point. But I think that's how a lot of coaches are. Outside of belichick, I think a lot of head coaches focus on one side of the ball and trust their coordinators to run their respective units. But remember Marrone opted out, we needed a new coach. If you bring and offensive guy in, with the current personnel, there's no garrantee that the offense is going to perform any better than what Greg Roman will produce - you have to wait and see.

Personnally, I think Roman will make sure he uses his personnel to play to their strengths, and in turn will get more out of them. But again we have to wait and see.

The point I'm making as that a HEAD COACH needs to motivate, needs to be an alpha male (meaning he's respected, feared and liked all at the same time) and needs to be mentally tough. I think that is exactly what Ryan is. On top of that he already has experience being in the exact situation he's in right now, and he WON!

To your point, if you bring in a current OC, I think you'll have the exact same issue. And as I said the one good thing is that Schwartz is probably sill here to coach the defense s o you remain consistent. I give you that. But, again, these OC do not have a track record of being able win as a head coach - It's a different job no matter what you focus on in terms of game planning.

My point is that there are valid arguements on both sides. No matter who we hired there's going to be pros and cons. I'm just saying lets make sure we look at the whole thing.

I know I'd feel a whole lot better about the future of the team going forward had the owner hired a czar or Polian first, and then they made the decision on Ryan. Right now it looks to me like Brandon, Whaley helped push the new owner into this decision for obvious reasons.

I get that Ryan will have the Bills defense playing as well or even better then Schwartz / Pettine had them playing. In my view this doesn't equate to beating the Patriots 2x, winning the division or even a winning record. Look at Ryan's record against Belichick, 3-9 over 6 seasons, and 1-7 over the last 4. This was with his Jets defense being in the top ten every year.

Whats mind boggling to me is how many are jumping on the bandwagon for a 4-12 coach. I look at Ryan and see a loud mouthed buffoon who didn't keep his promises to win a super bowl with the Jets. At the end of his time with the Jets he was just a fading soundbite with no credibility.

He is the Bills coach. Therefore he gets the support, even from those who thought he sucked when the Bills beat him and his Jets defense twice not long ago. We will see how it plays out.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Oh I agree there are arguments on both sides. I don't agree most Head Coaches are entirely focused on one side and leave the other side just to their coordinator though. I don't think any of the best Head Coaches currently working in the NFL are that way. I think Rex is that way far more than most. I didn't care whether the new Head Coach came from an offensive background, a defensive bacjground or a special teams background. I wanted more than the motivator you discribed... I wanted a guy who can motivate and manage. And it is 4 years since Rex won by the way, he is a below .500 Head Coach.

Go away. Same story with you. We're also jumping on the same bandwagon of the coach that led a terrible offense to the afc championship game 2 years in a row and beat the pats in the playoffs. He's the regarded by many to be the best defensive mind in football. He's hilariously. The players love him. Yeah, that bandwagon.

Jump off, please.

I think part of this is because when your pass defense is bad enough everyone gameplans against it, your run defense is not challenged. You saw the Bills had very effective passing offense against the Jets this year, in fact our best two passing days I believe.

Hope springs eternal for this Bills fan but Ryan would not have been my choice.

The Bills had 414 rushing attempts against them.

The Jets had 396 rushing attempts against them.

I feel as though our run defense has room to improve even though it was decent. The stats may not back it up, but sometimes during those games, it felt like 3rd string running backs were getting chunk yardage that were keeping teams alive in some games.

Please name one solid offensive draft pick the jets have made in the last 5 years. The Jets suffered from a poor GM more than anything.

Edited by What a Tuel

Go away. Same story with you. We're also jumping on the same bandwagon of the coach that led a terrible offense to the afc championship game 2 years in a row and beat the pats in the playoffs. He's the regarded by many to be the best defensive mind in football. He's hilariously. The players love him. Yeah, that bandwagon.

Jump off, please.

:nana: I'm not on the Rex Ryan bandwagon. Why don't you follow the tail to the unicorns and butterflies to gush about Rexy. This thread is for the fans that don't like the hire, and are commenting on it.

The man is a loud mouthed jerk who didn't keep his promises in NY to win a SB. Heck, the guy couldn't even win the division in six years.

glad to see not all Bills fans are not drinking the kool-aid, Ryan hire is a PR stunt at best , the biggest name hire isn't always a guarantee of success

SO instead of "Drinking the Kool-Aid" your going to choose to continue to be negative, spiteful, and un-hopeful

I'll take a big glass of Kool-Aid over what your drinking then. Better to be positive then to stew in stupid negativity no matter what our history is.

But lets face it, it doesn't matter what the Bills did or do, you and the few like you will always look for the negative or a reason to be pessimistic.

:nana: I'm not on the Rex Ryan bandwagon. Why don't you follow the tail to the unicorns and butterflies to gush about Rexy. This thread is for the fans that don't like the hire, and are commenting on it.

The man is a loud mouthed jerk who didn't keep his promises in NY to win a SB. Heck, the guy couldn't even win the division in six years.

This thread is for fans that don't like Rex. Lol. Are you 5?

He's your head coach. You hate him. Sucks to be you. Now we can all read your crying and whining for 5+ years. The guy hasn't coached a game for us and the sky is falling already.

Jump off the Bills bandwagon, not Rex's. save us from reading your posts

Posted in another thread:

All this jazz about Rex's great defensive mind is completely beside the point. The Bills ALREADY HAD a top five defense without Rex's great defensive mind. Do you really expect, with another freakin' change of system for next season, that the defense is going to be better than it was in 2014? So what is Rex bringing to the defense that the defense NEEDED?

Even if you don't care about the prospect of players having to change roles to responsibilities they are not suited for. I will be flabbergasted if they play better defense in 2015 than they played in 2014.

So what is Rex Ryan bringing to this team that IMPROVES their situation for 2015? Well, apparently he's bringing Roman as the new OC, a guy who has shepherded the decline of Colin Kaepernick over the last three seasons and whom they can't wait to be rid of in San Francisco. Even if you like Roman, the Bills could have had him ANYWAY--or any number of other OCs who I think would do a better job with the Bills personnel and as mentors for Manuel, while keeping Schwartz as HC. They have thrown away any chance for continuity on either side of the ball by throwing away Schwartz, and any improvement they have at OC they could have had anyway without hiring Rex.

All this optimism that Rex's presence immediately makes this team more competitive is moonshine. The guy is 26-38 over the last four seasons as a head coach. I expect Whaley will give him a good roster to manage, with upgrades on the o-line, for instance. But Whaley would have done the same for anyone--Schwartz with Bevell, for instance, as OC.

I do not see any convincing way that hiring Rex is going to improve this team for 2015 over what we saw in 2014. Except all of you who are so excited that the national press is paying more attention to the Bills. Enjoy Rex's press conferences, brothers and sisters.

Wrong coach for this team at this time. A step backwards.

SO instead of "Drinking the Kool-Aid" your going to choose to continue to be negative, spiteful, and un-hopeful

I'll take a big glass of Kool-Aid over what your drinking then. Better to be positive then to stew in stupid negativity no matter what our history is.

But lets face it, it doesn't matter what the Bills did or do, you and the few like you will always look for the negative or a reason to be pessimistic.

Exactly.

Shanahan - Retread that ruined RG3

Little Shanahan - Just following his father's footsteps

Reich - too inexperienced

Gase - only good because of Manning

There would have been an excuse for people to complain about no matter who we picked. I hated the Ryan pick at first, but I am coming around and realizing that the only reason I hated him so much was because 1. he is a goofball, and 2. he was a divisional rival on a classless jets team. Neither of those will affect his coaching abilities, and his defenses are always good. It's not a "bad" hire, just a "not what I was expecting" hire.

This board will be really lit up when Rex's D isn't top 4 like Schwartz. Almost a must fail expectation, with the third D coordinator in three years. Anyhow, I don't expect good things from the Ryan administration....I give him three years max and then out of town like the last 6 HC's. Frankly, I hated Rex when he was in NY as a blowhard media darling.....and I still feel that way about him. Going to be hard for me to continue to follow Bills after may decades. This is the second worst hire ever for HC.....(Harvey Johnson was the worst) Most on this board don't even remember Harvey, and thats a good thing.

I totaly agree with ya Sad days in buff coming... Jets West!!

I see all of this excitement and optimism but I just can't join in. And for the most part, I agree with most of the ESPN commentators when they talk about this change. I think we made a poor decision based upon our situation and are essentially throwing away any progress we made last year.

When I think about how the season ended and where we were at in terms of progression:

• Best record in over a decade
  • Best defense in over a decade
  • Year two of consistency
  • Declining Offense with no answer at QB

Based off of that, what did we improve?

• We brought in a defensive minded coach who runs a completely different scheme. A coach that ran a defense that made Kyle Orton look like Aaron Rodgers. I mean, we shredded them TWICE. A defense that was terrible against the run. Also, in making this change, we are going back to playing people out of position and reducing players like Hughes to situational pass rushers
    • This is speculation, but I'm also afraid that we are going to have to waste FA money and draft picks to bring in people to fit this scheme.
  • Offensively, we brought in an offensive coordinator who had Kaep regress under his watch. And sorry, but Kaep is better than EJ. They were terrible in the passing game with legit receivers and a Pro-Bowl TE. I get that they played elite defenses, but this is the NFL and no one is a cake walk. He produces a running game, but is based upon an offensive line that probably won't be able to be reproduced here with our talent for a little while.

End of the day, while personnel is a big factor, scheme and coaching is too. When the season ended, would you have wanted the San Fran offense and the Jets defense to replace our team? I would say no 10 times out of 10.

I get it. Fresh start, new players to them. But these are big leaps of faith that we can have the running game being promised and that the final 3 years of Rex's coaching career were the anomaly compared to his first 3 years as a head coach.

Again, I want to be optimistic but we basically gutted our strength and reinforced our weakness.

This board will be really lit up when Rex's D isn't top 4 like Schwartz. Almost a must fail expectation, with the third D coordinator in three years. Anyhow, I don't expect good things from the Ryan administration....I give him three years max and then out of town like the last 6 HC's. Frankly, I hated Rex when he was in NY as a blowhard media darling.....and I still feel that way about him. Going to be hard for me to continue to follow Bills after may decades. This is the second worst hire ever for HC.....(Harvey Johnson was the worst) Most on this board don't even remember Harvey, and thats a good thing.

Really? :doh:

Posted in another thread:

All this jazz about Rex's great defensive mind is completely beside the point. The Bills ALREADY HAD a top five defense without Rex's great defensive mind. Do you really expect, with another freakin' change of system for next season, that the defense is going to be better than it was in 2014? So what is Rex bringing to the defense that the defense NEEDED?

Even if you don't care about the prospect of players having to change roles to responsibilities they are not suited for. I will be flabbergasted if they play better defense in 2015 than they played in 2014.

So what is Rex Ryan bringing to this team that IMPROVES their situation for 2015? Well, apparently he's bringing Roman as the new OC, a guy who has shepherded the decline of Colin Kaepernick over the last three seasons and whom they can't wait to be rid of in San Francisco. Even if you like Roman, the Bills could have had him ANYWAY--or any number of other OCs who I think would do a better job with the Bills personnel and as mentors for Manuel, while keeping Schwartz as HC. They have thrown away any chance for continuity on either side of the ball by throwing away Schwartz, and any improvement they have at OC they could have had anyway without hiring Rex.

All this optimism that Rex's presence immediately makes this team more competitive is moonshine. The guy is 26-38 over the last four seasons as a head coach. I expect Whaley will give him a good roster to manage, with upgrades on the o-line, for instance. But Whaley would have done the same for anyone--Schwartz with Bevell, for instance, as OC.

I do not see any convincing way that hiring Rex is going to improve this team for 2015 over what we saw in 2014. Except all of you who are so excited that the national press is paying more attention to the Bills. Enjoy Rex's press conferences, brothers and sisters.

Wrong coach for this team at this time. A step backwards.

Yeah, a proven head coach is a step back from an offensive coordinator that has never been a HC on any level? Makes sense to me.

For those that keep re-hashing this "our defense is good, we don't need a defensive guy, we needed an offensive guy" crap.....we need a good head coach. A guy that knows how to be the HC coach of a team that wins playoff games. Jim Schwartz wasn't going to remain our DC forever. With our talent, he'd have gotten a HC offer in a year or 2 (IMO). Then who runs our D? George Edwards? Dave wannstedt? Rex Ryan will be running our defense for years. That makes me happy. Cry all you want. Toughness and an identity. We've had an identity for 15 years. This year, under Marrone and Schwartz, it continued. Beat the raiders and we'd have made the playoffs. But we choked. Lost. Season over. Losers again. I believe Rex will change that identity. You can sit in the corner and pout all you want. No one is listening.

Yeah, a proven head coach is a step back from an offensive coordinator that has never been a HC on any level? Makes sense to me.

For those that keep re-hashing this "our defense is good, we don't need a defensive guy, we needed an offensive guy" crap.....we need a good head coach. A guy that knows how to be the HC coach of a team that wins playoff games. Jim Schwartz wasn't going to remain our DC forever. With our talent, he'd have gotten a HC offer in a year or 2 (IMO). Then who runs our D? George Edwards? Dave wannstedt? Rex Ryan will be running our defense for years. That makes me happy. Cry all you want. Toughness and an identity. We've had an identity for 15 years. This year, under Marrone and Schwartz, it continued. Beat the raiders and we'd have made the playoffs. But we choked. Lost. Season over. Losers again. I believe Rex will change that identity. You can sit in the corner and pout all you want. No one is listening.

Can't you read? I'm saying they should have made Schwartz the HC and brought in a new OC. Then at least you have some continuity, and you're not blowing up the defensive system yet again for the sixth time in the last eight years. You're depending on Rex's new OC to fix the offense. Well, you could have had a new OC anyway, without screwing up the defense, and keeping some continuity on a team that has been dragged in a different direction every other year for a decade or more.

You have not made a rational argument. "Rex will change that identity" is your argument. Rex's teams had no identity on offense--they were a complete joke, getting worse every season. Welcome to your new head coach.

Edited by Dr. K

Yeah, like I asked before. People do know that we have to field defenses after 2015, right? Based on track record, Rex > Schwartz over the next five years.

And if next year's defense runs into injury problems along the line and the coaches have to get creative without the benefit of such dominant talent, I'd bet on Rex next year as well.

The players will thrive; we need to add a DT in FA.

That's what I don't like about this, frankly. And who, exactly, wasn't thriving in last year's D?

Dareus' just had his breakout year and we're going back to a scheme that he can play, but will it be at an All-Pro level or merely above average? Same for Kyle Williams. Same for Mario.

I thought Schwartz's scheme put each of the four DL in the absolute best position to maximize their individual talents. Rex's D is more OLB-centric, with pressure generated by blitzes and stunts...which is good for a big cheer when the unblocked guy gets penetration but flames out when you guess wrong. I like our LBs, but I love our DL even more (the best collection of talent at that position this team has ever had).

Bottom line to me: Why impose a style of play rather than look at the talent you have and structure the scheme around that? The players all said that Schwartz's D was easy to understand, made them comfortable, and allowed them to work as an 11-man unit knowing what each guy was doing. Wow, what a concept.

It will take me a while to get on board with this as I've always had the highest regard for Schwartz's scheme--which when you have the D-line horses, like we do--is unique in the NFL.

Sigh. Climbing down from the soapbox now...

Can't you read? I'm saying they should have made Schwartz the HC and brought in a new OC. Then at least you have some continuity, and you're not blowing up the defensive system yet again for the sixth time in the last eight years. You're depending on Rex's new OC to fix the offense. Well, you could have had a new OC anyway, without screwing up the defense, and keeping some continuity on a team that has been dragged in a different direction every other year for a decade or more.

You have not made a rational argument. "Rex will change that identity" is your argument. Rex's teams had no identity on offense--they were a complete joke, getting worse every season. Welcome to your new head coach.

What did Schwartz do as a head coach that was so much better than Rex Ryan?

Edited to make it easier to see

Schwartz

2-14

6-10

10-6 lost WC

4-12

7-9

Rex

4-12

8-8

6-10

8-8

11-5 lost conf

9-7 lost conf

Total

29-51 Schwartz

46-50 Rex

This isn't to bash Schwartz, I actually like him, but people act like he was a more premier head coach or something. Maybe its because we in Buffalo like Detroit a hell of a lot better then the Jets or something. Ryan was a division rival and all...

Also most people agree that defenses are a hybrid these days and the 4-3, 3-4 nonsense isn't a huge deal and we have the talent which is really what matters. We are not "blowing up the defense again"

Edited by What a Tuel