I'm sorry, but I think we took a big step back

Virgil

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I would've preferred a Schwartz promotion over hiring Rex. Rex is as clueless as Marrone on O.

I don't have a problem at all with Rex as HC and having his hands all over the D. As for Rex being as clueless as Doug regarding the offense, I would probably agree with you there. The difference as I see it is that I believe Rex understands his limitations on the offensive side of the ball, as opposed to Doug, who thought he was a much better offensive mind than he is. Rex has been known for allowing his coaches to coach (and I don't believe that was the case for Doug on the offensive side of the ball), he just didn't hire good offensive coordinators.

I do believe that Greg Roman is a good offensive coordinator and I don't know if his hire was a "collective" decision or solely Ryan's - but I think it is a much better hire than his previous offensive coordinators. So, for me, the real question is how good will Roman be as an OC with the Bills. I think Rex will let him coach. If Roman does well, this team will be much better.

I think what I like about a Ryan/Roman combination is the sense that the bills, collectively, have the potential establish an identity similar to what we have come to see with the Ravens and the Steelers over the years: Tough, physical football on both sides of the ball.

I hope anyway

Go Bills!

Edited by billsfan1959

Outstanding summary!

Are you from Syracuse, New York? Because I am. And we Syracuse Bills fans are the most sensible Bills fans there are. And there are a lot of Bills fans here in Syracuse giving a big thumbs down to the new coaches. Not because former SU coaches left the Bills but because we don't like Ryan, et al.

Funny because I would say the opposite. All the Bills fans I know are happy with the hire. Myself included

I don't have a problem at all with Rex as HC and having his hands all over the D. As for Rex being as clueless as Doug regarding the offense, I would probably agree with you there. The difference as I see it is that I believe Rex understands his limitations on the offensive side of the ball, as opposed to Doug, who thought he was a much better offensive mind than he is. Rex has been known for allowing his coaches to coach (and I don't believe that was the case for Doug on the offensive side of the ball), he just didn't hire good offensive coordinators.

I do believe that Greg Roman is a good offensive coordinator and I don't know if his hire was a "collective" decision or solely Ryan's - but I think it is a much better hire than his previous offensive coordinators. So, for me, the real question is how good will Roman be as an OC with the Bills. I think Rex will let him coach. If Roman does well, this team will be much better.

I think what I like about a Ryan/Roman combination is the sense that the bills, collectively, have the potential establish an identity similar to what we have come to see with the Ravens and the Steelers over the years: Tough, physical football on both sides of the ball.

I hope anyway

Go Bills!

Very true. Better a self-aware clueless than a delusional clueless.

Just to clarify, the Jest run defense was actually better than ours this year.

GO BILLS!!!

I think part of this is because when your pass defense is bad enough everyone gameplans against it, your run defense is not challenged. You saw the Bills had very effective passing offense against the Jets this year, in fact our best two passing days I believe.

Hope springs eternal for this Bills fan but Ryan would not have been my choice.

Funny because I would say the opposite. All the Bills fans I know are happy with the hire. Myself included

It really is amazing to me that so many, many Bills fans absolutely love this hire.

They don't see the man that just went 4-12 with a worse QB situation then the Bills coming into Buffalo. A team that has no 2015 first or fourth round pick, no veteran QB along with arguably the worst offensive line in the league.

An OC in Greg Roman with arguably the very best O line in the league, and with one of the supposed best young QB's. A top TE in Vernon Davis, a good WR corps with Anquan Bolden, Michael Crabtree, Brandon Lloyd, Stevie Johnson. A bruiser in Frank Gore at RB. The 49ers were 20th in the league on offense in 2014. Buffalo was 28th.

The 49ers were 30th in passing. Buffalo was 18th. The 49ers were 4th in rushing, Buffalo 25th.

Man, i don't know what to expect from that Buffalo offense this year, and all I can hope is the Bills bring in some quality offensive talent to help Roman. What I do know is I'm so very glad Nathaniel Hackett is gone :D

We already ran the Rex Ryan scheme 2 years ago with Pettine and didn't seem to have a problem with fitting our players to it.

1 thing people fail to mention is during the 2013 season our offense ran the no huddle which put our D in bad predicaments. This past season Schwartz and the Defense had a lot more time to catch a break. I think with Rex coming in and building up our oline plus the fact that Greg Roman runs a full complement of running formations and plays our offense will be night & day better then the previous regime.

I say Bills win 11gms easy next yr

Also, how can the Jets defense be terrible against the run but finish 5th best in the league at stopping it? #thingsthatmakeyougohmmm

This doesn't look like a step back from Marrone.

I agree he is a much better option then Doug Marrone, no question about it.

Just not what I envisioned as a great Buffalo Bills coach. He is the anti-Marv Levy from what I see.

Should the Bills beat the Patriots 2x, and gain a playoff berth this year... then I'll change my tune.

I see all of this excitement and optimism but I just can't join in. And for the most part, I agree with most of the ESPN commentators when they talk about this change. I think we made a poor decision based upon our situation and are essentially throwing away any progress we made last year.

When I think about how the season ended and where we were at in terms of progression:

• Best record in over a decade
  • Best defense in over a decade
  • Year two of consistency
  • Declining Offense with no answer at QB

Based off of that, what did we improve?

• We brought in a defensive minded coach who runs a completely different scheme. A coach that ran a defense that made Kyle Orton look like Aaron Rodgers. I mean, we shredded them TWICE. A defense that was terrible against the run. Also, in making this change, we are going back to playing people out of position and reducing players like Hughes to situational pass rushers
    • This is speculation, but I'm also afraid that we are going to have to waste FA money and draft picks to bring in people to fit this scheme.
  • Offensively, we brought in an offensive coordinator who had Kaep regress under his watch. And sorry, but Kaep is better than EJ. They were terrible in the passing game with legit receivers and a Pro-Bowl TE. I get that they played elite defenses, but this is the NFL and no one is a cake walk. He produces a running game, but is based upon an offensive line that probably won't be able to be reproduced here with our talent for a little while.

End of the day, while personnel is a big factor, scheme and coaching is too. When the season ended, would you have wanted the San Fran offense and the Jets defense to replace our team? I would say no 10 times out of 10.

I get it. Fresh start, new players to them. But these are big leaps of faith that we can have the running game being promised and that the final 3 years of Rex's coaching career were the anomaly compared to his first 3 years as a head coach.

Again, I want to be optimistic but we basically gutted our strength and reinforced our weakness.

I'm with you on this. Bad decision choosing Rex. It will come back to bite them in the ass. The Bills destroyed his perfect defense with a subpar QB in Orton. The Bills ran through them and now we are going to put our trust in Rex, while letting Schwartz walk the plank. Rex is another screw-up with a famous father but can't produce the same results as his old man. No winning record, no ability to control his QBs and now wants to ruin a top 10 defense.

Personally I think Ryan is a huge improvement, but even a pessimist should see it as a wash.

But on offense, how do you not see Roman as an improvement? A huge improvement at that?

I see it as quite the opposite, how do you think he's supposed to be an improvement? What has he done that gives you any confidence? I see the Niners as having a dominant defense who's offense time after time held them back.

My friend is a Patriots fan and he said he was really hoping Rex would leave the division. He always gameplanned really well for them, but his players couldn't execute. I didn't catch all their games, but that was my impression too. Idzik was a terrible GM and Rex did his best to overcome that. I couldn't believe they won 8 games last year.

glad to see not all Bills fans are not drinking the kool-aid, Ryan hire is a PR stunt at best , the biggest name hire isn't always a guarantee of success

What Kool-aid? Do you think Terry Pegula is trying to pull one over on the fans? He doesn't have any intention of winning so he just hired Rex Ryan for $27.5 million as a publicity stunt so the kool-aid goes down easier? Please people need to just stop. So much wrong with this thread.

If you're going to blame the OC for Kaep's regression, how can you also not credit him for two years of meteoric ascension, as well as three years in total? It would be a lot different if he was supposed to be a star, and was great under a different coach, and then Roman got ahold of him. But that's not what happened at all. Roman was partly responsible for Alex Smith going from awful to good, then a raw 2nd rounder from nobody to good to great in two seasons before crashing. Either he's responsible, partly responsible or not responsible... but it's for both the huge success and the big fall, not just the big fall.

If Kaep's as bad a passer and QB as people are making him out to be, Roman should start calling himself Saint Roman.

This is so true. Let's blame Roman for Kaep having a bad year this year and ignore the fact that the offense was good enough the last 3 years to get to the conference championship each year and 1 Super Bowl. Let's also criticize Rex on is defense this season with poor personell and ignore all the years the Jets defense has been great and used that as a measuring stick. Like I said, so much wrong with this thread and so many people feeding it that really have no clue.

I think part of this is because when your pass defense is bad enough everyone gameplans against it, your run defense is not challenged. You saw the Bills had very effective passing offense against the Jets this year, in fact our best two passing days I believe.

Hope springs eternal for this Bills fan but Ryan would not have been my choice.

There may have been less running attempts, but I'd doubt it's a very big number. The TRUE barometer is the YPC and the Jest held opponents to 3.8 yards per carry. We were over 4. Not that it's a huge difference as I think our run D was fine, but it's a stretch to say the Jest had a bad run defense. They didn't.

GO BILLS!!!