Could Peyton Manning possibly be available?

Tipster19

I saw a good portion of the 2nd half today and Manning just doesn't look good. He didn't have any zip on the ball and 10 yard passes looked like he labored. I believe that he wasn't healthy and hasn't been for quite some time now. Ever since the St Louis game in Week #11 Manning only had one 300+ yard (31 yds) game and that was against Cincinnati in Week #16. In both games the Broncos lost and had to pass so I take those 2 games' stats with a grain of salt. In the St Louis game he took some hard shots and I'm starting to think that either in that game or in the next week's game against the Dolphins he might of got injured. He hasn't played or looked the same since that time.

Manning is going to be 39 next year and will be owed 19M if he is on the roster. After today's game he was non committal about his future and stated that certain things could have a bearing on what he would want to do. If he is unwilling to restructure I wonder what the Broncos would do. That's an awful lot of money to pay an aging star QB, especially if there's a coaching change and a difference in philosophy.

IF, and that's a big if, he were to become available and isn't injured to where he couldn't perform adequately, I would to see Buffalo wrap him up. He would be perfect for what we would need and I believe that we would be a perfect fit for him. Expecting us to be a power run offense and a top 5 defense under Rex all Manning, with his cerebral ability, would have to do is be a smart field general who wouldn't have to throw the ball all over the place. Fortify our OL and Buffalo would be an ideal team for Manning, barring weather of course but I guess that you can't have everything. Furthermore, if EJ is ever going to make it as a QB then what better mentor to learn from than Manning?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a good portion of the 2nd half today and Manning just doesn't look good. He didn't have any zip on the ball and 10 yard passes looked like he labored. I believe that he wasn't healthy and hasn't been for quite some time now. Ever since the St Louis game in Week #11 Manning only had one 300+ yard (31 yds) game and that was against Cincinnati in Week #16. In both games the Broncos lost and had to pass so I take those 2 games' stats with a grain of salt. In the St Louis game he took some hard shots and I'm starting to think that either in that game or in the next week's game against the Dolphins he might of got injured. He hasn't played or looked the same since that time.

Manning is going to be 39 next year and will be owed 19M if he is on the roster. After today's game he was non committal about his future and stated that certain things could have a bearing on what he would want to do. If he is unwilling to restructure I wonder what the Broncos would do. That's an awful lot of money to pay an aging star QB, especially if there's a coaching change and a difference in philosophy.

IF, and that's a big if, he were to become available and isn't injured to where he couldn't perform adequately, I would to see Buffalo wrap him up. He would be perfect for what we would need and I believe that we would be a perfect fit for him. Expecting us to be a power run offense and a top 5 defense under Rex all Manning, with his cerebral ability, would have to do is be a smart field general who wouldn't have to throw the ball all over the place. Fortify our OL and Buffalo would be an ideal team for Manning, barring weather of course but I guess that you can't have everything. Furthermore, if EJ is ever going to make it as a QB then what better mentor to learn from than Manning?

No, he won't be available. Denver or retire.

You aren't alone in your thoughts, even if we are just kicking the can and having some fun with "what if" scenarios for the moment.

I just wrote similar thoughts in the Denver vs. Indy game thread.

I think it is entirely possible he ends up on the market at the end of this year, but only if he wants to come back for 1 more season, or he just isn't ready (mentally and emotionally) to retire yet.

At that point, sure, we could ironically end up with Peyton Manning on our roster. It would be all about a greatly diminished Manning vs. our various other options.

Heck, I think he could game manage and offensive-coordinator-on-the-field his way and the Bills way to the playoffs.

Even if yes, he is nothing CLOSE to what he used to be and my gosh, he has lost a lot of arm strength.

But he also made a lot of very accurate passes in the game today and he is a coach on the field.

It's not all about arm strength. If it was, EJ would be the new...well...Petyon Manning.

He ain't, and he ain't ever gonna be.

I don't disagree with any of these comments. Yes, he didn't look super good today.

Yes, he is in his twilight.

Yes, he is better than Geno Smith.

I'd love to have Denver turn their back on him but Peyton be not ready to retire yet.

And then give him 1 year in Buffalo. Why the hell not?

Manning did not look like himself in tonight's game.

The game plan by the Broncos was very strange. Why were they throwing the ball deep so often in the 1st half? It seemed as if they were desperate to make a big play, when the game was close for the duration.

Then Manning tried to complete a deep pass on 3rd & 5, in the 2nd half, when he could easily have ran for a first down. There was nobody within 20 yards of him.

I do think that Manning can still play, just look at his play this past season.

The contract will be the big issue on whether Denver wants to keep him.

Would Manning be willing to play for another team? Sure. I think he wants to keep playing until he knows he can't.

Would he be willing to play for the Bills? I'm not so sure about that.

If Manning wants to play another year, and Denver let's him walk... Two big if's. He needs to go south or to a dome.

A player of Manning's stature wouldn't go anywhere if he doesn't think he has at least an outside shot at another ring.

At this point in his career, a guy like that is just thinking "one more championship".

Not sure that would mean Buffalo is a reasonable destination for him, but our star is on the rise.

Put the coockoo back in the clock. He's either done or coming back to a loaded Denver team. He would never ever come to Buffalo.

Well, that may be true. I think Denver may very well be done with him, largely due to his salary next year.

I also think Peyton is the type of guy to find it very, very hard to walk away from the game. You add those 2 things together and you have Peyton playing for another team next season.

Then you add in the fact that he will ONLY play for someone who looks like a playoff team and a team with at least an outside shot at the Superbowl. And a team that needs a QB.

How many teams is that?

Manning is a true competitor. He wants to win. He also has a good head on his shoulders and will know when his physical limitations interfere with the success of his teammates. He won't let that happen; he will bow out when he knows he can no longer get the job done.

BUT - his physical limitations won't interfere with his mental toughness, intellect and competetive fire. That's why we should talk to him about being a QB coach with Rex's crew. EJ could be his own project. Pay him $3 million to work with EJ in the filmroom, on the field and offseason. I guarantee he will be coaching in the next five years. He can't just leave football at his age...he wants to win more Superbowls (as a coach).

Manning is a true competitor. He wants to win. He also has a good head on his shoulders and will know when his physical limitations interfere with the success of his teammates. He won't let that happen; he will bow out when he knows he can no longer get the job done.

BUT - his physical limitations won't interfere with his mental toughness, intellect and competetive fire. That's why we should talk to him about being a QB coach with Rex's crew. EJ could be his own project. Pay him $3 million to work with EJ in the filmroom, on the field and offseason. I guarantee he will be coaching in the next five years. He can't just leave football at his age...he wants to win more Superbowls (as a coach).

Love your first paragraph here, don't like the second paragraph so much.

Don't get me wrong: I wouldn't mind a competitor like Peyton on this coaching staff...but not coaching freaking EJ!

EJ isn't going to amount to anything. We need to start looking beyond him immediately.

Love his brain, love his heart, but Manning appears done. It's become obvious over the last half of the season that his arm is just not capable and I wouldn't be surprised if we come to learn he has some nerve damage; the lack of arm strength is readily apparent. I'd rather see him retire before he embarrasses himself out there.

GO BILLS!!!