Do you approve hiring Rex Ryan as HC

/dev/null

Do you approve hiring Rex Ryan as HC  

463 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve hiring Rex Ryan as HC

I'm meh on Cutler - but no way with that contract

the contract has a lot to do with it. I also think he lacks heart. And that bothers me. Guys like Brady, Rivers, Luck - they act like every play is their last. Cutler seems like he's collecting a paycheck. That is part of why I think he hasn't been successful. And that's not coachable.

I saw some of that in Orton, and it tore me up as a fan.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the contract has a lot to do with it. I also think he lacks heart. And that bothers me. Guys like Brady, Rivers, Luck - they act like every play is their last. Cutler seems like he's collecting a paycheck. That is part of why I think he hasn't been successful. And that's not coachable.

I haven't followed Cutler enough to even notice. I always thought he was decent in Denver with Shanny...

Yeah you could see that in Orton, but he was still better than EJ

I'll give Leroi credit for the Ryan/Roman hire, but how could anyone have any idea what will happen in FA or the draft?

Maybe they have a plan for both that they feel pretty confident about or just plan to be really aggressive in both.

One of my favorite things this year happened when Rex Ryan talked about how his team would be 1000% better in the second game against the Bills. Then watching his jaw hit the ground in that 38-3 romp, as the Bills destroyed his team.

In 2009 Rex Ryan inherited a pretty good team from Eric Mangini that already had a a bunch of good players on both sides of the ball, a solid O line as DaBrick, and Mangold were drafted in 2006 under Mangini. Then the next year it was under Mangini that Darrelle Revis was drafted by the Jets in 2007. Mangini was fired by the Jets after taking them to a 9-7 finish in 2008.

That first season for Rex Ryan with the Jets in 2009 they only drafted 3 players in that years draft, and they were all offensive In QB Sanchez, RB Shonn Greene, and OG Matt Slauson . So that #1 overall defense came from previous drafts. In his first season he drafted Mark Sanchez, and went to the conference championship with a record of 9-7 as a wildcard. The managed that by pounding the rock, and playing great defense. The Jets did the same the very next year at 10-6, and went to the conference championship.

For whatever reason the Jets got away from what made them a formidable team in pounding the rock, as they kept asking the QB to throw more while they ran less. Then they went 8-8 in 2012. They went 6-10 in 2013. They went 4-12 in 2014. That's right, 4-12 in 2014.

To those fans who think that Rex Ryan will now give the New England Patriots / Bill Belichick- Tom Brady fits. Rex Ryan's Jets went 1-7 against New England the last four years.

2014 0-2

2013 1-1

2012 0-2

2011 0-2

2010 1-1

2009 1-1 The final result is 3 wins vs 9 losses against the Patriots in six years.

I have no idea why the Pegula's hired Rex Ryan as their new face of the team, a guy who I loved to hate as the Jets head coach. The guy was a big mouth bumbling doofus the last few years in New York. 4-12 really?

All that said, I can only hope the Pegula's have a plan!!! A plan to find a decent QB!!! A plan to fix the O line that Whaley couldn't fix the last two years!!! A plan to hire a team president to oversee the football side so the GM isn't trading away #1 picks for anything other then a franchise QB. A plan so the GM & HC are no longer reporting to the finance / marketing guy.

Don't worry. He's going to be HC, not GM.

This was the best hire since Chuck Knox was hired, fans should be insulted listening to national media guys talk about how guys like Frank Reich and other coordinators would not be a good hire in New York/ Chicago but would be a good hire for a team like Buffalo.("That would be a good hire for Buffalo").We end up with the guy at the top of the list, you have to love it.

wow. maybe a poll should have been done before he was announced hc. i'm betting the results would be considerably different.

They always are. If you'd suggested the Watkins trade the day before the draft most people would have called you an idiot. The next day Whaley was a genius.

Someone who I really like at QB is BJ Daniels. He was drafted in the 7th round by SF (they usually draft a project QB late). He had some moments in pre-season, was waived, and claimed by the Seahawks. Very mobile, read option type QB with a strong arm and touch as needed. It was hard for him to crack the 53 man roster behind Kap in SF and Wilson in SEA.

The fact that both teams liked him enough to try to develop him is a pretty strong endorsement. Roman used him in SF as a scout team version of Russell Wilson. They are very similar.

I am not saying he would win the job but I think he would be a quality prospect to bring in as he knows Roman's system. At the very least he can help push EJ.

I understand why, Management needed to make a splash, so be it, but I for one won't drink the kool-aid, all Ryan did was luck into another team, that was on the way up, hope I am wrong, but what this team needed was a forward mind to the future not a Jet reject or cast off, either title will do, if reported 5 yr and 25.5 mill is the price to be a circus so be it

50/54 and people think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, I proud to be 1 of 51 who see he not the one

Edited by rumblefish

I understand why, Management needed to make a splash, so be it, but I for one won't drink the kool-aid, all Ryan did was luck into another team, that was on the way up, hope I am wrong, but what this team needed was a forward mind to the future not a Jet reject or cast off, either title will do, if reported 5 yr and 25.5 mill is the price to be a circus so be it

This hire had nothing to do with making a splash, IMO.

They looked at like a dozen candidates and picked a guy that has HC experience, is the best defensive mind in football, and can get top-shelf coordinators (Roman).

You hire a guy like Gase and it is a total crap shoot with a likely not nearly as top-notch coordinators.

Sorry for being gone most of the season, Twitter has been fun this year.

But since this is the off-season 140 characters will not do so....

This is a great hire. Gives us the best chance to beat the Pats during the regular season.

Don't know how this will effect the coaching staff yet. Cross that bridge when we come to it.

But Kim and Terry Pegula are changing this organization quickly and it is long overdue.

And swagger. Who's afraid of Tom Brady now?

3-19, I think, against the NE* team since he was in nyc 50/52 is his record is a loser when you look it . To me it sounds like a good bet our record will be 7/9 or 8/8. I dislike Rex as a person and a coach, I also don't like his OC choice..... :death::bag::wallbash: but he is our new coach and Pegs real new first decision, so I will just have to roll with it. If he keeps Schwartz AND they get better I will be in, I guess as it is the Bills but I kind puked in my throat when I read Rex is it. I just hope he keeps his big mouth closed or I see it kind of as having a big mouthed celebrity as a coach.

Edited by bowery4

3-19, I think, against the NE* team since he was in nyc 50/52 is his record he is in the dictonary as a loser when you look the . To me it sounds like a good bet our record will be 7/9 or 8/8. I dis like Rex as a person and a coach, I also don't like his OC choice..... :death::bag::wallbash: but he is our new coach and Pegs real new first decision, so I will just have to roll with it. If he keeps Schwartz AND they get better I will be in, I guess as it is the Bills but I kind puked in my throat when I read Rex is it.

I even look at the Ravens as still embodying Rex's swagger. They don't back down to the Patriots. Same with the jets.

I am not worried about his past record; the attitude he is going to bring to the team is big. We won't be a door mat for brady anymore.

I'll give Leroi credit for the Ryan/Roman hire, but how could anyone have any idea what will happen in FA or the draft?

The only thing I can envision is the team saying: "we're a qb away from a SB contender," and Rex saying "ok, now tell me how we get him?," etc, until basically they say ok we'll go after guy(s) x/y/z in an effort to hire Rex.

Sorry that was poorly written but what I'm driving at is that it's plausible they may have developed a plan to go after a couple QBs with Rex, so that he would sign.

This was the best hire since Chuck Knox was hired, fans should be insulted listening to national media guys talk about how guys like Frank Reich and other coordinators would not be a good hire in New York/ Chicago but would be a good hire for a team like Buffalo.("That would be a good hire for Buffalo").We end up with the guy at the top of the list, you have to love it.

Sorry, I don't get the correlation between a HC that after taking his team to five straight division titles, three of those were conference championships, and was fired for not reaching the super bowl vs a man who just had a 4-12 season.

Rex Ryan inherited a good team, and won immediately. 9-7, 11-5 Then after six years got progressively worse to 8-8, 6-10. 8-8. to 4-12. Fans want to blame the GM, and not the HC for this. Yet in Buffalo they want to blame Marrone for the bad O line players, and not the GM.

I'll go on record in saying I don't get this hire. Rex Ryan was 3-12 against the Patriots in his six years in NY, and 1-7 the last four years. The NY Jets finished the season 4-12, and as a Bills fan I enjoyed Big Mouth Rex getting his arse beat 38-3 in Buffalo. Then watching his hapless QB's get destroyed by the Bills defense. I mean c'mon, the guy just finished 4-12.

I'm very confused as to why the new owners think Ryan is this teams best option this year. But, they are billionaires and they seem to have a plan for the future of their team. As a Bills fan all I can do is sit back and hope for the best.

Like this hire because;

1. He came here over Atlanta and SF which have way better QBs than us.

2. Pegulas must have promised him the world (and a QB) to get him to come here, which means Pegs is determined to win, which is all a HC can ask for.

3. Hired Roman, who I'm a big fan of.

4. Can keep the D humming and hopefully Schwartz and should hopefully merge the best elements of their D.

5. Is an experienced HC who doesn't have to learn the ropes and what this team needs now to win right away.

6. he is not Marrone.

7. He didn't come here to kiss Bellycheats rings!!!!

You mean Jauron's "fire" didn't impress you?

him fired, sure did :D

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

it's plausible they may have developed a plan to go after a couple QBs with Rex, so that he would sign.

I don't doubt that was the plan--with or without Rex.

I expect the Pegulas to go "shock and awe" as their first act(s) as owners. Might not win them many friends among their 31 other 'partners' but I get the sense they're going to spend/trade for a name QB somehow, someway (probably Cutler, possibly Bradford)...

my biggest problem with Cutler is all the poor decision making and ints other than that he's great B-)

wow. maybe a poll should have been done before he was announced hc. i'm betting the results would be considerably different.

It's all about the Koolaid bro B-)

They always are. If you'd suggested the Watkins trade the day before the draft most people would have called you an idiot. The next day Whaley was a genius.

actually...

Hail yes! Solid coach and he brings a swagger this team needs. Get a good offensive coordinator in there and lets roll. He inherents a qb problem but home run Terry and Kim! Most defenses are hybrid s anyay, but that defense should be in the top 3 and I think it could only help free agent season.

This is a painful hire. There is nothing that excites me about this. We just hired a guy that went 4-12. I wonder how many times in NFL history a guy that just came off that type of season he just had have been hired as a head coach by another NFL team right away. I have zero idea why this makes anyone happy.

Brian Bilichick and John Fox to name two very recent and very good ones.

Hell no!

He's a proven loser! He's not even a .500 coach. What makes anyone think he's going to change? Clueless!

How many coaching candidates had HC experience much less held "winning records" in the league? To think we could've hired a coach with an overall winning record is a bit delusional. Rex was hampered by a crap GM in NY. I look at the intangibles. He's very well respected around the league. The players LOVE playing for him and will play their hearts out for the guy. (Did you see the Bills player tweets about the hire?) He's a defensive mastermind and although we have a monster D already I think it's been expressed during the interview process and he's smart enough to hire smart coaches for assistants on the offensive side and facilitate a turn around on that side of the ball. I love this hire.

APPROVE !

Note my first post in Dec when ya'll were still swinging on Marrones Jimmy blaming Hackett for the inept offense. Do i think Hackett belongs in the NFL - NO. However, ultimately Marrone was responsible.

Has anyone been direct and asked DM Why his O-line sucks? I think he is confusing effort with results. If he was an O-lineman, why does his O-line look like one of the worst ever fielded in Buffalo. With the exception of Levitre, it is essentially the same as last year and the Bills led the league in rushing.

Let me ask you? If Rex Ryan coached this present team, do you think we would have had more success? I bet you we would. IMO DM is in way over his head. He has been out-coached in several games. Why did he wait so long in the Raider game to go to the no huddle?? He is an absolute idiot. The offense started moving the ball effectively.

This defense kept him in every game and even won most of them despite his and Hacketts disfunctional offense. Unfortunately that may be enough to keep him around another year so next year I expect much of the same. Likely regression.

:wallbash:

It is not necessarily my first post ever on TBD, just under this screen name. However, I grew really tired of the flaming I took for expressing my frustration that the Bills repeatedly passed on this QB named Russell Wilson. Hmmm. ya'll are such great and knowledgeable fans :worthy: How did that work out?

Just look at the amount of love Sanchez has been getting here lately. Ironically by many of the same people trashing him as the Jets QB. While there are some with great knowledge here many even most comments on TSW are nonsensical.

Rex Ryan is the best thing to happen to this team in a long time. The players will love to play for him. I cant wait to see how the players respond. Marrone provided little to no inspiration to this years team..... that came from Fred Jax, K. Williams and Boobie.

FIGHT ON MY MEN

Neutral. I consider him an upgrade to Marrone both in game and for making halftime adjustments as well as the PR pluses. But he is a below .500 coach so far and very defensive minded, and the Bills currently have Schwartz for that. Could be great, or a bust, or more likely somewhere in between. Time will tell.

I feel like he would show up at Big Tree and have beer and wings with the fans and talk about how much he hates Belichik and Brady and how he's dying to get Sammy into space.

@MMehtaNYDN: Biggest winners today: Buffalo Bills fans

Yeah but I don't want a coach who will show up at Big Tree and talk, I want a coach who will put every fibre of his being into beating Belichick and Brady and getting Sammy into space.

I think this is a great hire.

Rex is a passionate coach who players love and love to play for. He isn’t afraid to be bold and gutsy which is something the Bills have been lacking for as long as I can remember.

I really don’t think his coaching record is a fair assessment of him as a coach. He did make the AFC championship in his first 2 years and then the GM really lost it and started depleting the teams roster/talent.

CBF