Great read on Rodgers development

Paattman posted this in the shoutbox and I thought it was a great read and deserved discussion here:

http://grantland.com/features/aaron-rodgers-mike-mccarthy-green-bay-packers-new-age-west-coast-offense/

notable to me:

-McCarthy running a "QB School" every offseason where "away from the pressure of preparing for a weekly opponent, McCarthy can teach his quarterbacks the finer points of the position. In addition to extensive drill work, McCarthy often gives his quarterbacks lengthy written tests"

-Rodgers has changed his throwing technique: "he used to hold the ball up near his ear while in the pocket on the theory that it cut down on the time he had to bring the ball back before throwing it forward. Under McCarthy and Packers quarterback coach/offensive coordinator Tom Clements, however, Rodgers gradually began holding the ball between the middle of his chest and his throwing shoulder, a more natural spot that keeps his throwing motion compact while allowing him to rotate his body just enough to create extra velocity"

-Rodgers has improved his accuracy "which might sound crazy when discussing a guy who once completed 23 passes in a row in college": "For Rodgers, the key to improved accuracy was perfecting his footwork. Learning to time up my drop with each route has been a big thing with me, "Rodgers said that mastering those nuances for every conceivable route allows him to throw the ball in rhythm and hit the same release point with every throw, meaning that no matter what else is happening, the ball comes out on a similar plane. Thats when accuracy comes.

-Also lots of good stuff about the Packers running a play-package version of the old WCO that allows multiple pass routes and run options within each play

Give it a read and enjoy! It should be at least as entertaining as that book about Gronkowski! :rolleyes:

Honestly Rodgers would have been a star even if he started day 1.

The smart money bets that way, eventually.

Would he have started out more like Brees, with an OK 2nd year (first playing season) with decent completions but almost as many picks as TDs and sub-par YPA, a regression in his 3rd year (2nd playing season) where he threw more picks than TDs, and then finally a good 4th year? Smart money wouldn't bet against that, either.

Paattman posted this in the shoutbox and I thought it was a great read and deserved discussion here:

http://grantland.com/features/aaron-rodgers-mike-mccarthy-green-bay-packers-new-age-west-coast-offense/

notable to me:

-McCarthy running a "QB School" every offseason where "away from the pressure of preparing for a weekly opponent, McCarthy can teach his quarterbacks the finer points of the position. In addition to extensive drill work, McCarthy often gives his quarterbacks lengthy written tests"

-Rodgers has changed his throwing technique: "he used to hold the ball up near his ear while in the pocket on the theory that it cut down on the time he had to bring the ball back before throwing it forward. Under McCarthy and Packers quarterback coach/offensive coordinator Tom Clements, however, Rodgers gradually began holding the ball between the middle of his chest and his throwing shoulder, a more natural spot that keeps his throwing motion compact while allowing him to rotate his body just enough to create extra velocity"

-Rodgers has improved his accuracy "which might sound crazy when discussing a guy who once completed 23 passes in a row in college": "For Rodgers, the key to improved accuracy was perfecting his footwork. “Learning to time up my drop with each route has been a big thing with me,” "Rodgers said that mastering those nuances for every conceivable route allows him “to throw the ball in rhythm and hit the same release point with every throw, meaning that no matter what else is happening, the ball comes out on a similar plane. That’s when accuracy comes.”

-Also lots of good stuff about the Packers running a play-package version of the old WCO that allows multiple pass routes and run options within each play

Give it a read and enjoy! It should be at least as entertaining as that book about Gronkowski! :rolleyes:

If this is in reference to EJ: So your saying there's a chance? I agree and hope he improves over the offseason ands TC. Since his #'s were similar to Orton, if there is some improvement, it should reflect in a better record and a playoff berth. Again, so you're saying there's a chance?

Complete hindsight BS. But everyone is an expert after the fact.

The same idiots who yell bust after a rookie's 1st game would have be calling Rodgers a bust after he struggled. He completely changed his throwing motion from college and sat behind a HOFer for 3 years. Most fans would have been screaming if we drafted a 1st rounder who didn't play for 3 years.

Very interesting read. You do have to wonder how much of a pro QB's success is natural ability vs coaching. Rogers has both and this seems to be so rare in in the NFL.

It's both. Rodgers was doubted his whole life. Lightly recruited out of high school and dropped in the draft. It's laughable how people act like they knew he would be this good.

There are also franchises that are known for developing QBs. Green Bay has a great track record (Farve, Rodgers, Brunell, Hasselbeck, Brooks). There is no way they would ever draft a guy and give him a rookie NFL coach as both his OC and QB coach.

Complete hindsight BS. But everyone is an expert after the fact.

The same idiots who yell bust after a rookie's 1st game would have be calling Rodgers a bust after he struggled. He completely changed his throwing motion from college and sat behind a HOFer for 3 years. Most fans would have been screaming if we drafted a 1st rounder who didn't play for 3 years.

Just when a QB has it he shows it early.

What is funny is you care what some "idiots" as you call them say about a QB. This isn't about that, Rodgers would have came in and been a good QB. Same with Brady if he had started week 1 he would have been fine also.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Not always, though, which explains guys like Flacco, Alex Smith, Tannehill, Brees, etc.

Flacco showed he has one of the strongest arms in the NFLNFL early in his career. Those other QBs are laughable that you use them as an example. They are no good we are talking about elite QBs... Brees also showed but the chargers wanted rivers instead.

Edited by Beef Jerky

-Rodgers has improved his accuracy "which might sound crazy when discussing a guy who once completed 23 passes in a row in college": "For Rodgers, the key to improved accuracy was perfecting his footwork. “Learning to time up my drop with each route has been a big thing with me,”

That is a very interesting point. Reflecting on someone like Vick, who's accuracy has generously been known as "****," one wonders if mobile quarterbacks tend to be less accurate for just that reason of footwork.

Flacco showed he has one of the strongest arms in the NFLNFL early in his career. Those other QBs are laughable that you use them as an example. They are no good we are talking about elite QBs... Brees also showed but the chargers wanted rivers instead.

Strong arm...a lot of guys have that. Flacco's become a lot more than that in recent years.

All of the guys I mentioned off of the top of my head had very-E.J. like QB ratings and performance after their first two seasons. Agreed, Smith and Tannehill are never going to Canton, but they would be very serviceable in Buffalo. Certainly an upgrade from Orton or the Amish Rifle, when he was here.

The point is, some QBs do improve with time and coaching.

That is a very interesting point. Reflecting on someone like Vick, who's accuracy has generously been known as "****," one wonders if mobile quarterbacks tend to be less accurate for just that reason of footwork.

thats certainly a part of it. and i think you would see a related issue that because they are able to get by with their legs, its often not until their mid 20s that someone tries to force the finer points of quarterbacking on them. atleast for the truly spectacular athletes like vick. you also probably see more of them that have learned to get by with improv instead of out studying opponents too. not all of course, but probably a fair number.

I read on TSW that accuracy can't be improved upon or coached.

Funny you said that! I read the same thing. Lol!

I suggest you go back and watch his preseason games his first couple years

Kyle Boller was known to have one of the strongest arms in the NFL and he didn't pan out. The Chargers wanted Rivers because they didn't think Brees was any good.

Great read, thanks for posting.

The author does a great job of highlighting how his intelligence is the initial kick start to his success. This "west coast" attack includes many presnap reads but also has many mid play, just second decisions. I'd love to see those packaged plays make way towards BFLO. Cut out the zone read and implement these zone/slant concepts.