Head Coach Candidate: Mary Eggers

Just Jack

Head Coach applicant, Mary Eggers , of Rochester says you don't need to have played the game to be a good coach.

"Something is absent on the team. If I can see it through a TV screen, then you must see it in person. Something is missing. There is such great potential there and there is a missing link. YOU HAVE GREAT PLAYERS. We need something deeper."

"If I were coach of the Bills I would develop a comprehensive program. Keyword being PROGRAM. I would.... With the assistance of the organization develop a five year strategic plan for our team to not just get to the playoffs, but win the Super Bowl. We need to sit down and look at our team. Where are we strong? Where are we weak? The answer does not lie in what key player we need to get but in..... how do we raise one another's games?"

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/01/rochester_woman_next_bills_coach_letter_application_to_new_owner_pegula.html

wrong, it's called franchise QB

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the tip! I don't follow the NBA very closely but that's a cool story.

As you mentioned above, in her case she was a pro basketball player, so finding the equivalent in football would be tough.

Yeah, her experience makes her more credible. In addition she is in the perfect organization for that. If it were a mess like the Knicks it may be more interesting. I doubt that we will really know how it is working unless speaking with a member of the Spurs organization off the record. They want it to be successful so everything said publicly will probably reflect that.

It's a cool story nonetheless and evidence that the times are certainly changing.

Never. Women don't play or coach at the college level. The opposite is true for basketball.

It can't, therefore, happen.

It certainly makes it tougher. That's why I suggested some analytics genius. A front office position is a more likely start but it's not impossible to think that they could play an important role within a football operations department. Time will tell I suppose.

You could probably Google some stuff on Becky Hammon and see how it is working. I would imagine that most of what is being said publicly is glowing though so it may not provide much insight.

I may be wrong but didn't Charlie Weis never play football?

Todd Haley and Adam Gase never played football.

My wife runs marathons and triathlete here in Rochester, so I'm familiar with who Mary Eggers is because the triathlete community is small. I will say this: Mary Eggers is one hell of an athlete. Like an unbelievable athlete at the elite level. And she knows what it takes to succeed and dedicate herself to be the best at something. And also how to inspire others to do just that.

If you have ever seen anyone train for a marathon, you may understand what I'm talking about. If you have ever seen what someone goes through to train for an Ironman, you'll understand. It is one of the most mentally and physically demanding things you can put your body through. It made Heinz Ward cry when he trained for an ironman, let me put it that way.

I don't think the Bills would be stupid for getting her input.

She would have credibility because she is every bit the athlete that they are. Maybe even better than most of them from a pure athletics and drive standpoint.

Eggers has a point, sort of.

If she hired a good OC, DC and ST coach, should could potentially field a winning team.

But you really need to know football inside and out to have credibility as a coach. A few women know football well enough to report it. But how many know it well enough to coach it? I don't question female intellect. It's just that women today don't have the requisite hands-on experience and it will be hard for them to gain it.

I imagine it will start some day with a woman as a QC coach in the college ranks. I can't see a woman getting hired as a position coach - at least not now, not in the NFL.

Not that it is quite the same, but it surprised me a little, especially since I hadn't heard it. Recently, on HBO Real Sports they were doing a story (as they seem to do every other month) about the head trauma issue in football... they showed the NFL replay office on a Sunday afternoon during a football...there were a number of ladies who were monitoring replays.

Todd Haley and Adam Gase never played football.

If a male never played football at a high level, but seems to know his sh*te, no one questions it. It flies under the radar.

If a female seems to know her football sh*te, everyone is all "wait a minute, you obviously never played because women don't play college or serious pro football, how do you know all that?"

My wife runs marathons and triathlete here in Rochester, so I'm familiar with who Mary Eggers is because the triathlete community is small. I will say this: Mary Eggers is one hell of an athlete. Like an unbelievable athlete at the elite level. And she knows what it takes to succeed and dedicate herself to be the best at something. And also how to inspire others to do just that.

If you have ever seen anyone train for a marathon, you may understand what I'm talking about. If you have ever seen what someone goes through to train for an Ironman, you'll understand. It is one of the most mentally and physically demanding things you can put your body through. It made Heinz Ward cry when he trained for an ironman, let me put it that way.

I don't think the Bills would be stupid for getting her input.

She would have credibility because she is every bit the athlete that they are. Maybe even better than most of them from a pure athletics and drive standpoint.

Good enough for me.

Get er done Peg!

I'm surprised more people don't do this, especially several posters.

They can not get through the minimum requirements in Madden GM game.

I wonder what types of issues would arise with a female coach on staff... (issues dealing with her authority, being in the locker room, guys making inappropriate comments, etc)

Why? Media and some football players say having gay players in locker room is fine. Why should a normal, hetrosexual woman be not to be able to control herself?

Go, Mary, Go!

It's not the sex or color of the HC, it's his/her commitment to excellence, class and to the total team concept.

Folks who abandon ship with a mere text need not apply...

Something tells me Mary knows the difference between an inept OC and someone more qualified to be calling plays for a professional football team. The idea of offense is to move the ball towards and over your opponents goal line, not surrender it with 3 and outs repeatedly. Thank goodness for Jim Schwartz's defense this year and for the timely contributions of the ST's unit.

Edited by Lombardi1

As a front office type, president, or certainly on the training conditioning staff, could see it coming.

As a coach I think unlikely only because how many women play football at a high enough level to understand the game. There are some rather high level women's basketball, hockey leagues around. Even softball to hardball isn't a huge stretch. So easy for women to compete and/or coach at high womens levels before making the jump to NBA or NHL. But women's football leagues are just starting to get a small amount of support, and they are more novelty leagues than being taken serious. So until women play and coach at high levels against other women, can't see them coming to the NFL.

That's a serious question? How would anyone be able to answer that?

Bringing her in as a motivator/getting your head right to be a winner type of person would not be that bad a tactic. Not sure the players would accept her though. But, I recall the Ryder cup (golf) team bringing in Michael Jordan to get their heads right about team play....so this isn't that far a jump. Now, she is not HC material without a knowledge of the X's and O's. But, she is not a person to be taken lightly, even through it has a humerous element for those who want to find that in the situation. (we all need a little of that as Bills fans, really) If she has the right degree, she should market herself as a sports "head shrink" (sorry I didn't use the professional term)