Head Coach Candidate: Mary Eggers

Just Jack

A woman from Rochester wants to be the new head coach of the Buffalo Bills. Mary Eggers, a nurse and triathlon coach, sent a letter to the Bills' new owners on Monday to "toss my hat in the ring" for the vacant coaching position.

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/01/rochester_woman_next_bills_coach_letter_application_to_new_owner_pegula.html

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Head Coach applicant, Mary Eggers , of Rochester says you don't need to have played the game to be a good coach.

"Something is absent on the team. If I can see it through a TV screen, then you must see it in person. Something is missing. There is such great potential there and there is a missing link. YOU HAVE GREAT PLAYERS. We need something deeper."

"If I were coach of the Bills I would develop a comprehensive program. Keyword being PROGRAM. I would.... With the assistance of the organization develop a five year strategic plan for our team to not just get to the playoffs, but win the Super Bowl. We need to sit down and look at our team. Where are we strong? Where are we weak? The answer does not lie in what key player we need to get but in..... how do we raise one another's games?"

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/01/rochester_woman_next_bills_coach_letter_application_to_new_owner_pegula.html

Edited by hondo in seattle

Serious question: when will there be a female assistant coach or HC in the NFL?

Seeing as the NFL is constantly copying the NBA I will say in the next 5-10 years. My guess is that it will be someone with a crazy analytics background. It seems to make more sense in the front office but I could see them assisting in developing game plans.

Seeing as the NFL is constantly copying the NBA I will say in the next 5-10 years. My guess is that it will be someone with a crazy analytics background. It seems to make more sense in the front office but I could see them assisting in developing game plans.

I agree that a GM/front office role would be most likely the first step

I wonder what types of issues would arise with a female coach on staff... (issues dealing with her authority, being in the locker room, guys making inappropriate comments, etc)

I would think 90% of NFL players would be stand up pros. But as we have seen, there are plenty of guys who are not.

Eggers has a point, sort of.

If she hired a good OC, DC and ST coach, should could potentially field a winning team.

But you really need to know football inside and out to have credibility as a coach. A few women know football well enough to report it. But how many know it well enough to coach it? I don't question female intellect. It's just that women today don't have the requisite hands-on experience and it will be hard for them to gain it.

I imagine it will start some day with a woman as a QC coach in the college ranks. I can't see a woman getting hired as a position coach - at least not now, not in the NFL.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Serious question: when will there be a female assistant coach or HC in the NFL?

Really really funny one-man play: see it if you can. "Runt of the Litter" written and performed by Bo Eason, former Oilers safety and brother of Tony Eason

Semi-autobiographical about growing up with a sports dad who recognized and favored/groomed his more talented older brother, while still supporting and encouraging him to eventually become an NFL safety - but only so far.

One of the best lines: he's describing how his mother, a football coach's daughter, prepares a detailed binder of intel on each week's opponents for him, and how his teammates on defense recognize his mother's football acumen: "They say 'Your mother can really Ball!'." *pause* (thoughtful tone) "Which is not what you want to hear a bunch of 6'5" Black guys say about your mother"

I think we'll see a female coach or coaching assistant in a sport women actually play, volleyball or basketball or soccer, before we see a female coach or coaching assistant in football. And I don't see any push to bring in female coaches or assistants in sports women actually play at a high level. That football is a sport women don't play is just too much of an additional barrier to gaining cred.

If she hired a good OC, DC and ST coach, should could potentially field a winning team.

But you really need to know football inside and out to have credibility as a coach. A few women know football well enough to report it. But how many know it well enough to coach it? I don't question female intellect. It's just that women today don't have the requisite experience and it will be hard for them to gain it.

I imagine it will start some day with a woman as a QC coach in the college ranks. I can't see a woman getting hired as a position coach - at least not now.

It's a valid point. I could see quality control as being an entry level position to gain experience.

With all the media, all-22, fantasy football, etc. that is around today to give fans a window (albeit a limited one) into the game you might see an incredibly well organized woman who is really into football and knows who all the players are be able to do a front office job just as well as anyone else.

Coaching would be tougher, for reasons a few have said. You need to have experience as a player OR a lot of experience coaching the game at many levels.

Edited by TheFunPolice

But you really need to know football inside and out to have credibility as a coach. A few women know football well enough to report it. But how many know it well enough to coach it? I don't question female intellect. It's just that women today don't have the requisite hands-on experience and it will be hard for them to gain it.

I imagine it will start some day with a woman as a QC coach in the college ranks. I can't see a woman getting hired as a position coach - at least not now, not in the NFL.

Those are actually two really good points. It's one thing to have theoretical knowledge. It's another to have lived the experience of translating it to practice, to understand all the places that can go wrong.

But analytics - hell yeah, lots of female statisticians, a chick could do that.

And as for Eggers - I think every coach/GM combo worth their salt has a 3, 5, and 10 yr plan. The problem is obtaining favorable enough results to stay past the usual "results in 3 years or YOU'RE OUT!" cycle.

Edited by Hopeful

I agree that a GM/front office role would be most likely the first step

I wonder what types of issues would arise with a female coach on staff... (issues dealing with her authority, being in the locker room, guys making inappropriate comments, etc)

I would think 90% of NFL players would be stand up pros. But as we have seen, there are plenty of guys who are not.

You could probably Google some stuff on Becky Hammon and see how it is working. I would imagine that most of what is being said publicly is glowing though so it may not provide much insight.

I may be wrong but didn't Charlie Weis never play football?

I do think that a female coach could possess a great mixture of motherly authority and people skills that would be somewhat unique.

Moms are often the ones running the household. Making appointments, running the errands, organizing the kids for school, paying the bills, solving disputes...

And many moms are WAY more scary when pissed than the dads.

IMO it's simply a matter of football experience and knowledge as a player/coach

You could probably Google some stuff on Becky Hammon and see how it is working. I would imagine that most of what is being said publicly is glowing though so it may not provide much insight.

I may be wrong but didn't Charlie Weis never play football?

Thanks for the tip! I don't follow the NBA very closely but that's a cool story.

As you mentioned above, in her case she was a pro basketball player, so finding the equivalent in football would be tough.

Never. Women don't play or coach at the college level. The opposite is true for basketball.

It can't, therefore, happen.