Scathing article in NY Daily News on Marrone

YoloinOhio

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Doug Marrone think the NY media are going to be all lollipops and sunshine? He took a mediocre program to a mediocre bowl game. Has never called plays. This team was carried by a defense he had little to do with it's success. Worked a lot with the offensive line....yikes, yet somehow this guy is the next coming?

The article is kinda lightweight and sounds hastily put together, but that supports what I'm hearing out of NY media: they don't want marrone coaching the jets. If casserly and marrone thought it was smooth sailing opting out and taking jets HC vacancy, they are sadly mistaken IMO. Never seen so much animosity directed at a candidate before he gets the job, and can't possibly imagine how an owner could go thru with this.

The article is kinda lightweight and sounds hastily put together, but that supports what I'm hearing out of NY media: they don't want marrone coaching the jets. If casserly and marrone thought it was smooth sailing opting out and taking jets HC vacancy, they are sadly mistaken IMO. Never seen so much animosity directed at a candidate before he gets the job, and can't possibly imagine how an owner could go thru with this.

The Post's Steve Serby was all about kissing Marrone's ass on Thursday, so.....

The Post's Steve Serby was all about kissing Marrone's ass on Thursday, so.....

id like to see that article because all I'm hearing is negativity. Listened to mike lupica on espn ny radio via an app yesterday, and the entire show was focused on lambasting marrone. Saying how Rex is simply a better football coach and it's unacceptable to fire him and bring in marrone. Edited by JTSP

I suspect there was tampering. If so, I hope it's found, and I hope El Pegual gets his $4M back.

Ralph would have sued him for sure. At the very least just to take as long as legally allowed to cut that check.

I am just so happy he is gone, you could see in his press conferences how phony he was (worried about injury reports).Russ Brandon should be fired for bringing this complete loser to the Bills and giving him everything he asked for (like he just won the national championship for Syracuse).The guy is a bully and if he is not hired by the Jets it would not surprise me that no team hires him if they do there due diligence which Russ Brandon did not due.

It's an interesting read, but Mehta clearly has an agenda that is only thinly disguised as journalism. Several lines really struck me that Mehta is being far from objective. Not that he needs to be. I would love to be able to take this article at face value, just for its calming value alone, but I can't. A lot has been said about Marrone since his decision to leave, and the more I read, the more I feel a sense of disgust. But, that might just be the frustration of looking forward to yet another year of rebuilding-- and after a 9-7 season, no less. Marrone's departure, regardless of how one feels about his performance, feels like a betrayal.

All that being said: If, as this article suggests, Marrone does, indeed, feel the sting of negative press, He's going to hate New York/New Jersey!

Bills spin machine cranking into high gear. The nuggets about low level staffers and Marrone having to approve videos before they were posted to the website clearly came from inside the org.

I'm sure many in the org were less than enamored with Marrone all along, but if you say anything while the machine is in motion and the regime is intact, you flush yourself down the drain. Now, the floodgates are open.

Excellent article. Sounds like a number of Bills players and staff are sharing their true feelings about the man off the record now that he's out. Players are one thing, that's a special world. But I have no respect for people who treat the lower level employees poorly, which sounds like Marrone's specialty. And to think that a head coach is listening to idiot talk radio AND getting offended by fan criticism. Marrone has managed to work his way from "up and coming coach" in the general (non-Bills) NFL world just 5 days ago to "surly whiner with poor leadership skills" today. Well played, Doug.

It was only a matter of time before things started leaking out opposing the view some in the media were putting forward the past few days.

It's an interesting read, but Mehta clearly has an agenda that is only thinly disguised as journalism. Several lines really struck me that Mehta is being far from objective. Not that he needs to be. I would love to be able to take this article at face value, just for its calming value alone, but I can't. A lot has been said about Marrone since his decision to leave, and the more I read, the more I feel a sense of disgust. But, that might just be the frustration of looking forward to yet another year of rebuilding-- and after a 9-7 season, no less. Marrone's departure, regardless of how one feels about his performance, feels like a betrayal.

All that being said: If, as this article suggests, Marrone does, indeed, feel the sting of negative press, He's going to hate New York/New Jersey!

Mheta is a Syracuse grad too. Some in the NY media (unlike National media) are starting to question hiring Marrone. I also think that the air was thick the past few days hyping Marrone up. It's only natural journalists will look to dig into those claims. Its what they do. And they aren't blind. Marrone is underwhelming in general. Why were the national guys acting like he was a HOF'er already??

Edited by purple haze

id like to see that article because all I'm hearing is negativity. Listened to mike lupica on espn ny radio via an app yesterday, and the entire show was focused on lambasting marrone. Saying how Rex is simply a better football coach and it's unacceptable to fire him and bring in marrone.

You have internet access?

http://nypost.com/2015/01/01/why-bronxs-doug-marrone-would-be-a-perfect-fit-for-the-jets/

"Marrone not only knows the AFC East, he has proven to be a no-nonsense disciplinarian who isn’t afraid to make the tough decisions."

"Marrone is a tough, fearless, blue-collar football guy with nerve who has a chance to be a young Tom Coughlin, and not only because they share a connection with Syracuse University."

Edited by Mr. WEO

Or maybe …. it's a reveal of how steep the hill was that Marrone had to climb.

Maybe the fights in training camp were a reflection of the degree the culture needed to change and how hard he pushed to make it happen. Maybe his attention on the O-line was a statement about the poor talent he was saddled with in this key area and his astute recognition of the same, rather than his inability to polish those t*s. Maybe Marrone made the bold move to bench E.J. because he saw what he had at exactly that time and knew it was holding the offence back. E.J. wasn't going to work.

Is he thin skinned? Yes. Is he goal-oriented and socially inept? Yep.

But to say that he was in no way responsible for pushing this team to an at least competent 9-7 record demonstrates agendas.

Mheta is a Syracuse grad too. Some in the NY media (unlike National media) are starting to question hiring Marrone. I also think that the air was thick the past few days hyping Marrone up. It's only natural journalists will look to dig into those claims. Its what they do. And they aren't blind. Marrone is underwhelming in general. Why were the national guys acting like he was a HOF already??

I was listening to a lot of WFAN this week and it was so funny hearing the hosts talking about feedback they were getting from Bills fans. That their Bills fans friends were very eager for the Jets to hire Marrone. That Marrone opting out and going to the Jets was fantastic news to them...LOL You knew that they were slowly coming to the realization they were being fed some serious bs through national and some local NFL media outlets.

Unfortunately the PR damage is probably done and the Jets will end up looking elsewhere and not hire Marrone. I so wanted the Jets hiring him to happen.

I wonder if there are any Marrone supporters here who feel completely duped by this total phony. I couldn't stand him and I took every opportunity to unload on him. I am so happy that Marrone is no longer the head coach of the Bills. We Bills fans are very lucky he's gone.

I think some of lazy New York Media guys like Colin Cowherd assumed Marrone was good and leaving Buffalo because everyone leaves Buffalo.Now that some of the key media guys are looking at what he reaily did they are hearing all the negative talk (and this will not be easy to sell to Jet fans).I remember reading the same comments from Syracuse people during the time we were looking at hiring him.Russ Brandon should be canned for hiring this loser and trying to sell him to fans as innovative and cutting edge type of coach.Marrone if you reaily think you deserved full credit for beating one of the NFL'S best in GB then you also deserve full blame for the key loss to one of the worst in Oakland.

I think some of lazy New York Media guys like Colin Cowherd assumed Marrone was good and leaving Buffalo because everyone leaves Buffalo.Now that some of the key media guys are looking at what he reaily did they are hearing all the negative talk (and this will not be easy to sell to Jet fans).I remember reading the same comments from Syracuse people during the time we were looking at hiring him.Russ Brandon should be canned for hiring this loser and trying to sell him to fans as innovative and cutting edge type of coach.Marrone if you reaily think you deserved full credit for beating one of the NFL'S best in GB then you also deserve full blame for the key loss to one of the worst in Oakland.

There's also the perception that a coach must be something special to get Buffalo to 9-7 because...y'know, it's Buffalo.

Hell, he's getting credit for the win against the Jets in Detroit, which by the Bills' players' admission was their best week of preparation this season, in part because they were stuck at home with nothing to do but watch film. When your best-prepared week is a week when you don't directly interact with your players, you might just suck as a coach.