Head Coach candidate: Rex Ryan

YoloinOhio

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm in the Ryan, Schwartz or Shanny camp. Give me a coach with HC experience who has won- I'm not willing to gamble another 3 years on an unknown, promising, candidate.

I'm in this camp. However I'm not sure Schwartz fits the criteria. Does playoffs once and without a win count as "has won"? You definitely have to add Kubiak.

Other names to add perhaps:

Jim Mora Jr. (AFC Championship Game in 2004). Also HC of Seahawks for one year. His UCLA team looks sharp.

Bill Callahan (Super Bowl with Raiders loss with Rich Gannon at QB)

With this awesome D we have assembled, we need to win now. Can't take a chance with one of these hot shot assistants and hope we picked the right one. When has that ever happened?

My order at the moment:

1. Shanahan

2. Kubiak

3. Rex (Might not be able to wait on Kubiak though)

4. Schwartz

We're hiring a Head Coach, not and Offensive Coordinator or at least not yet. Rex gets his guys to play hard. And he knows how to beat Bill Bellyache. He won't be coming to kiss Bill's rings.

Tons of people wanted Pettine for HC instead of Marrone. Rex taught Pettine everything he knows. Our defense would be sick with a Rex/Schwartz mind meld.

I've said multiple times - double down and get a defensive HC and then get a great OC. Rex, Bowles, or Quinn would be my choices.

I want no part of Case or Hamilton.

If they go offensive mined then swing for the fences and get Shanahan with Bevell as the fall back option.

I think that after what happened with Doug Marrone, the Bills should be VERY wary about hiring a head coach wishing he were elsewhere or having this his second or third choice of head coaching jobs.

If I were interviewing him, he had better do a great convincing job me or no way do I hire him for a team that just went through a head coach that didn't want to be here and quit. The Bills would be MUCH better off with promoting Schwartz.

Edited by 1billsfan

I think it's the perfect match. The man can go toe to toe with belichick no matter the talent gap. Probably will want to embarrass the jets. Knows the dolphins. He is a players coach which they may need right now. The fans here will love him as he will bleed buffalo blue and red every second he is head coach.

I know he had a big mouth but it seems like he has grown a lot. I think with any success and his bluster, the fans of the bills will eat it up and love the man.

He has the feel of a guy who can make a 10 year run somewhere and be a hof coach. I think he was the victim of awful personnel decisions in nyc

Edited by May Day 10

I'm not sure he's the right fit for this team at this time, though it would be fun to find out, and I kind of doubt he'd want to come here anyway. Atlanta makes a lot more sense for him. BUT, I love that dude. Here's a long-former from Grantland - an entertaining review of his whole history with the Jets. A great read. (Sorry if posted elsewhere. I didn't see it.)

http://grantland.com/features/rexs-last-stand/

Now let's go eat a goddamn snack!

If Ryan did come in and we ran a 34, we'd have the personnel for it right? Especially if we resigned Spikes. It would make Hughes more expendable if he decided to test FA. Someone who's better with Xs and Os elaborate. Just thinking out loud, maybe that's one of the things the brass is taking into consideration.

I like that Jests fans were flipping out last night when the report came out the Bills were interviewing Rex. They really don't want to face him twice a year. First, the fans love him. Second, they know he can coach. That's what they were saying all over the message boards and on social last night. I put some stock in that.

Of all the guys that the Bills are interviewing, is there anyone who would fit right in as a "Buffalo" guy more than Rex?

Trivia: As I recall, Rex lived in Buffalo when he was a kid when Buddy was an assistant coach with UB.

P.S. I know some of you guys will say Reich because he played with the Bills. Nevertheless, if you were to hang out with the two of them over beers for an hour and were asked which one was a Buffalo guy, I am sure most of you guys would guess Rex.