Head Coach candidate: Rex Ryan

YoloinOhio

Right now, Manuel is a below average qb. There's a pretty decent chance he stays that way. Matt Ryan is above average and near-elite. Most coaches with choices would take Atlanta.

Gilmore was fantastic in the second half of this season and in the last four games of last season after his arm healed.

Well, but look at it from the other side of things: Atlanta's defensive personnel is simply terrible. They have zero quality players on that defense and it's a major reason Dimitroff was demoted. If Rex goes there, he'll have to endure a major defensive rebuild, which will mitigate his skill set. At least in Buffalo he can win games with his defense while the offense builds itself forward.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give full throated support To Rex Ryan

A couple of quick points ;

he beats the Pats with less talent .

Revis maybe they reunite talk about a defense for the ages add him to this unit and you have one

He needs a good offensive coordinator , he has never had one , Little shotty is now at Georgia, Soprano , Marty all very weak. Btw way if you hire one of these hot name offensive coordinators he will need a very good d coordinator . The difference is Rex has done the job and has performed at a high level when he has talent . Nobody wins without talent .

Hire Rex and put to bed a lot of the whole is making the call stuff that goes on. Rex takes ownership of his decisions.

He is just better then the other 12 candidates. If you want to argue Shanny go ahead I can't show you Rex's two rings but give me Rex with an axe to grind against the Jets and a keen ability to play the Pats well

FWIW .

Edited by Tintonfallsbillsfan

My biggest concern with Rex is that he has not displayed an ability to competently manage the offensive side of the ball. His interview absolutely must consist of explaining who his OC candidates are and his plans for the O. Obviously, I'm not worried about the D.

I don't think the Bills should be selling themselves to Rex...he needs to sell himself to us.

Rex Ryan is a buffoon of the first order. Hiring him for the Buffalo job would be a costly mistake no matter what side of the ball you think he has some expertise. Blow hard, self-aggrandizer, larger than life, never-will-be. His only chance is to hook on somewhere as a coordinator with a strong head coach to rein in Rex' actions.

Rex would energize the Buffalo Bills like you could not believe.

I'm not sure if Rex is a 'top choice' for me but there is no denying your statement. If hired, the overwhelming majority of 'us' would ultimately give him full support as the Bills are 'our' team regardless. With his leadership style and attitude, our fan base would be frothing at the mouth by opening day.

Disagree. The Bills need to sell themselves to any experienced HC. Someone looking for a promotion from assistant would have to sell themselves to the Bills.

I'll just say this -- any experienced HC is already capable of looking at the Bills' roster and seeing the talent, as well as what they have to work with at QB. They also understand there are only 32 of these jobs. What "selling" do the Bills need to do? They've already said they're bringing 1 or 2 more QBs in, and they have what they have...

The candidate is being hired, not the other way around.

I'll just say this -- any experienced HC is already capable of looking at the Bills' roster and seeing the talent, as well as what they have to work with at QB. They also understand there are only 32 of these jobs. What "selling" do the Bills need to do? They've already said they're bringing 1 or 2 more QBs in, and they have what they have...

True, but in Ryan's case he is known to have interviewed at 2 different TV networks. He has good options outside of coaching football, which does not apply to most of the candidate pool.

True, but in Ryan's case he is known to have interviewed at 2 different TV networks. He has good options outside of coaching football, which does not apply to most of the candidate pool.

In prior years I'm certain candidates needed to be "sold" on the level of commitment they could expect from the organization...I believe that is no longer the case.

That's actually a huge negative at this point in time. No QB and no first rounder. In my opinion you overestimate the desirability of a team that just topped .500 for the first time in a decade and hasn't been in the playoffs for 15 years. Ryan has other options (and will probably end up in Atlanta anyway). The Bills need a solid HC and the pickings are rather slim at the moment. For "big name" coaches it is almost always a sellers market, IMO.

This interview opportunity is a GIFT to the Pegulas. More than anyone else, Rex can tell them directly and unequivocally what the state of their offense is. Rex will give it to them straight about EJ, the offensive line, the schemes, everything. I can't believe how lucky they are to be able to interview Rex Ryan about his perspective on their offense, having faced him twice a year for his entire tenure.

This is actually something that most concerns me.

Football coaching at the professional level is an incredibly demanding job 6 months of the year (I'm sure it's demanding all round, but TC to playoffs it's brutal)

I worry that if a guy is seriously contemplating moving broadcasting, and his decision is "now or in a couple years?", Marv Levy would say he's already retired from coaching, he just doesn't know it yet.

This interview opportunity is a GIFT to the Pegulas. More than anyone else, Rex can tell them directly and unequivocally what the state of their offense is. Rex will give it to them straight about EJ, the offensive line, the schemes, everything. I can't believe how lucky they are to be able to interview Rex Ryan about his perspective on their offense, having faced him twice a year for his entire tenure.

This is a great point.

I hated this guy when he was with the Jets; made fun of him constantly, etc.

But you know what? I want him coaching my football team.

I haven't read the whole thread but Rex Ryan is the whole package to me. The star power of a Shanahan or Cowher, the ability to intimidate the refs (that is no small thing in this league), he almost never passes blame up or throws players under the bus (which is why his players love him and why he lasted that long in NJ), AND he knows a shitload about coaching football. Plus he's pissed at the Jets and hates the Patriots.

Sign me up.

This is actually something that most concerns me.

Football coaching at the professional level is an incredibly demanding job 6 months of the year (I'm sure it's demanding all round, but TC to playoffs it's brutal)

I worry that if a guy is seriously contemplating moving broadcasting, and his decision is "now or in a couple years?", Marv Levy would say he's already retired from coaching, he just doesn't know it yet.

Can't say I'd blame him for going the TV route. For a football freak, like any NFL coach would be, a job like Cowher has would have to be a wet dream. Follow football in depth all week at your leisure, then show up on weekends to watch football all day with other football freaks and talk about it on TV that other football freaks are watching. Plus if that isn't enough, get paid what I have to believe is a buttload of money to do it. Rex has the knowledge, the reputation, and the personality to be very good at that.

No - I think he wants to be a head coach (and not a DC) and there are only so many opportunities out there right now. If he doesn't get one of those gigs, then he'll have broadcasting as an option.

No to anyone who wants a 3-4 defense with this personel

I think people are way too hung up on this. Jerry Hughes is going to be Jerry Hughes whether he has a hand down or not.

And great defensive coaches can coach any scheme.