Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing Im having a hard time understanding is how so many fans are behind this move, and the Pegulas, as if they just did something great.

To me, it looks like a "Ralph is Cheap. Same Ol Bills" move where we couldnt figure out a way to keep the first coach to get us to a winning record in over a decade. I guess it takes two to tango, but we couldnt sway him with an offer like: "Replace OC and OL coach, and everyone on staff gets a new 3 year contract"?

I hope Pegula has a plan that isnt just taking an easy road of bringing in retreads like Polian/Reich (read:LaFontaine/Nolan, Levy/Jauron).

I dunno. If Marrone is *obviously* such a quitter than Im glad he is gone, but I dont like the way this is playing out so far.

I cant think of anything that would be an *obvious* upgrade to Marrone outside of prying Gruden out of ESPN. And even that is shaky at best.

Pegula does have a questionable track record for hires, I'll give you that. People seem to forget he offered the Sabres GM position initially to LaFontaine, a guy with zero front office experience. Even Patty was dumbfounded and turned him down.

But, we also shouldn't forget that the "St Doug" story probably was true and he was an arrogant ass who made the decision to quit (likely perfectly confident as to gaining another NFL HC job). Again, he's the one who quit, but it's almost certain all is well because he really wasn't going to lead the Bills anywhere and likely would have been fired next season anyhow.

Not a major commitment, but Id have been willing to figure out a way to do so, as long as some of my demands were met as well. Again, I know that assumes Marrone would be willing to make those concessions. But I also would have been willing to make it worth it to him.

I dunno. Guess we gotta see what Pegula has in store. Right now, jury is out here. Is this a new direction? Or another Ralph in the making?

They better come up with something much better than what we had.

Jury is out indeed. Heck, I don't think a jury has even been impaneled yet. This is a good first test for Pegs for sure. My concern is that if Polian is days away from becoming czar does that delay the process in a negative way.

GO BILLS!!!

Jury is out indeed. Heck, I don't think a jury has even been impaneled yet. This is a good first test for Pegs for sure. My concern is that if Polian is days away from becoming czar does that delay the process in a negative way.

GO BILLS!!!

Days, or possibly WEEKS is my concern too! :o

Not a major commitment, but Id have been willing to figure out a way to do so, as long as some of my demands were met as well. Again, I know that assumes Marrone would be willing to make those concessions. But I also would have been willing to make it worth it to him.

I dunno. Guess we gotta see what Pegula has in store. Right now, jury is out here. Is this a new direction? Or another Ralph in the making?

They better come up with something much better than what we had.

Nah, I don't see Peg's as another Ralph. I suspect he told Marrone he wasn't going to make any contract commitments until after Polian comes on board next month and that Doug said pound sand.

Ha ha, only Bills fans want to clean house after going 9-7. Get ready for the media to have a field day ripping us. Good for Marrone. I hope he kicks our ass. We deserve it. Only in Buffalo :doh:

Y'know, I often think people are too hard on you, but this is a ludicrous post.

My concern is that if Polian is days away from becoming czar does that delay the process in a negative way.

Just because it hasn't been announced, doesn't mean he isn't involved. I would expect that anyone they chose to bring in would be at his recommendation which would most likely require the candidate to know what is going down...

Ha ha, only Bills fans want to clean house after going 9-7. Get ready for the media to have a field day ripping us. Good for Marrone. I hope he kicks our ass. We deserve it. Only in Buffalo :doh:

Why would you hope Marrone kicks our ass? He just quit on the Bills. Are you are Marrone fan or a Bills fan?

Eff the media,and eff Marrone. It's time for Pegula to pick his folks. Let's move on!

Just because it hasn't been announced, doesn't mean he isn't involved. I would expect that anyone they chose to bring in would be at his recommendation which would most likely require the candidate to know what is going down...

That's actually a good point. The two reasons that Polian is not going to take the job right away are 1] He has obligations to ESPN to cover the playoff games, and more importantly, on January 31, he is up for the Hall of fame vote. If he takes a GM kind of job it could jeopardize that vote because voters may think of him as not retired. But that doesn't mean he can't be on the phone all day talking with the Bills and potential people to bring in.

I can buy that.

GO BILLS!!!

We have no coaching to do in January.

No, but other teams have hiring to do!

Nah, I don't see Peg's as another Ralph. I suspect he told Marrone he wasn't going to make any contract commitments until after Polian comes on board next month and that Doug said pound sand.

Thats probably not too crazy of a suspicion, especially given some reports saying it had more to do with the unknown incoming "czar".

Man, what a collection of losers weve had going through the coaching turnstiles here in Buffalo over the years. I was pretty eh on Marrone, and im pretty eh on this news.

I do have to say i think hes the biggest jerk weve had as HC since Greg Williams.

I dont fully get the celebration of a 9-7 record, its really nothing to be excited about, especially because i view this team as pretty stacked with talent. I hope the Pegulas got what it takes to bring us to the next level. I think they have the passion to do it.

Clean house? He CHOSE to leave. We deserve what? Marrone tried a power move against the Pegulas and you're backing Marrone. He quit on the Bills after all that talk of togetherness, building a winner, blah blah blah. He quit. I'm sure he wanted security but he was so worried about what would happen next year, that he wouldn't be able to repeat his success(9-7), he made a move to get more money. What does that say about the confidence in his abilities.

Wow.

Clean house? He CHOSE to leave. We deserve what? Marrone tried a power move against the Pegulas and you're backing Marrone. He quit on the Bills after all that talk of togetherness, building a winner, blah blah blah. He quit. I'm sure he wanted security but he was so worried about what would happen next year, that he wouldn't be able to repeat his success(9-7), he made a move to get more money. What does that say about the confidence in his abilities.

Wow.

You think ESPN and NFLN are going to see it that way? What's the better story? "There goes Buffalo again."

Edited by PromoTheRobot