Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

Not a major commitment, but Id have been willing to figure out a way to do so, as long as some of my demands were met as well. Again, I know that assumes Marrone would be willing to make those concessions. But I also would have been willing to make it worth it to him.

I dunno. Guess we gotta see what Pegula has in store. Right now, jury is out here. Is this a new direction? Or another Ralph in the making?

They better come up with something much better than what we had.

I'll be curious to see if any more info comes out about this whole thing, but it wouldn't surprise me if Hackett and the OL coach were major sticking points - either Marrone wanting extensions for them, or management demanding he replace them. Either way, if that's the case then I would back the Pegulas,

As you say, it will all come down to the replacement. I think we can certainly do worse than Marrone, but there is also the possibility of doing far better.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think ESPN and NFLN are going to see it that way? What's the better story? "There goes Buffalo again."

That's exactly how most of them are reacting already. Look at social media. Bucky Brooks already called out Marrone. Road-hack is already saying its a good move. This isn't a Harbaugh situation where the team had been to 3 NFC championships and a SB. This was one winning season. He challenged Pegula and Pegula didn't back down.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

You seem to care more than anyone here what they say, all the while implying they are stupid and no one should listen to them. Who the hell cares?

Don't gaslight me. You know folks here freak out over what the media says about the team.

That's actually a good point. The two reasons that Polian is not going to take the job right away are 1] He has obligations to ESPN to cover the playoff games, and more importantly, on January 31, he is up for the Hall of fame vote. If he takes a GM kind of job it could jeopardize that vote because voters may think of him as not retired. But that doesn't mean he can't be on the phone all day talking with the Bills and potential people to bring in.

It was just a thought if Polian does indeed comeback.He could easily leave ESPN to take a job, it has happened countless times. Going in the HOF at this point is where his focus should be and I expect that your point#2 is the reason to delay this.

Yes it does. There was zero other reason to start Orton who most thought at the time wouldn't even be back next year in that game. Say what you want but at end of day coaches are judged on wins and losses and getting to 9 wins was all Marrone cared about...feel free to live in denial

Living in denial is what he does best. He was just spouting off about how Marrone was not testing the waters and how New England was actually trying to win their last game of the season.

:death:

Hey Doug, F U. Leaving the Bills like this.

I sensed all year that this guy was not right. He automatically says that everything comes back to him, then he drops the blame on everybody else in sight. He's a psychopath. He hides the truth. He has a Napoleonic complex. We're better off without him. The text that said that the people in Bills village are okay with him leaving....he friggin' yelled at Hughes and told him he could play elsewhere....made him run laps. Totally wasted the season of CJ Spiller. He hired his college coach to coach professionals. Didn't work. Who did he blame? Everybody but himself.

He's out. I'm glad he's gone. I'd take the coach of 1970's Kenmore West over this guy.

Go coach the Jets you cheap dimestore hood.

it's all about the money....

ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen reported that Marrone walks away with his 2015 salary of $4 million "without it counting as an offset against any future salary." The out clause in his contract activated if the Bills changed ownership, which happened when Terry Pegula bought the team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/doug-marrone-opts-out-of-contract--done-as-buffalo-bills--coach-231705211.html

who can blame him.....he essentially gets a $4 mil bonus for leaving.

he had no assurances he would be here long term.

he gets to leave on a high note and on his terms.

Very surprised by this. I would certainly keep Whaley over Marrone, if that was part of the issue. I'd also be happy to keep Marrone with some staff (and player) adjustments. I'd like Scwartz as DC more than HC. This is the first big move in the Pegula era - let's all hope and pray they nail it!

"Whoever negotiated Marrone's contract should be sent an extra bottle of Champagne tonight.

— Judy Battista (@judybattista) December 31, 2014"

I concur!j

Cheers ! And Lol to all those in pain over the loss of Marrone. He was below average at best.

He should send a percentage of all his future earnings to marcell, Kyle, Gilmore, brown, and co.