Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

Marrone is probably going to poach either Henderson or Pepper Johnson to run his defense I will assume. I hope it's not Henderson. We don't have to let them go unless they get a promotion, which would be to DC. One of the good things Marrone did last year, a very good thing but a no brainer, was to not let Henderson interview with the Browns so we got to keep him. He's very, very good.

I thought that all position coaches and coordinators were considered to be the same level by nfl rules, so the only way it would be a promotion would be if they were offered assistant HC.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prediction time:

Polian named President and Football Czar.

Whaley remains as GM and responsible for the roster with help from Polian.

Overdorf gone and Whaley is responsible for cap; he and Polian hire a capologist.

Brandon is given a promotion and new job to run the business side of Bills/Sabres/HarborCenter/New Bills Stadium.

Schwartz named HC. Henderson named DC, Pepper Johnson leaves to become Marrone's DC.

Schwartz gets some highly regarded OC that Pegula pays a boatload to, who may be in line if Schwartz falters.

I think you nailed it...

I wonder if we try to get Reich as an OC with an Assistant HC title.

Well...

I was more or less ambivalent about Marrone, so I'm more or less ambivalent about him leaving. Borderline pleased, if it means Hackett and Morris are gone.

But what galls me is...great, again? Yet another head coach? Since Levy left, we haven't had a coach last longer than three season. I'm starting to hear calliope music. Is this insanity ever going to end?

I can see the giving Reich the title of Associate Head Coach and OC so it is a promotion, and then he is the guy who is in line for the job. He does not deserve a HC job in any way right now. He's never really ran an offense.

And yeah you came up with that too.... :thumbsup:

Well...

I was more or less ambivalent about Marrone, so I'm more or less ambivalent about him leaving. Borderline pleased, if it means Hackett and Morris are gone.

But what galls me is...great, again? Yet another head coach? Since Levy left, we haven't had a coach last longer than three season. I'm starting to hear calliope music. Is this insanity ever going to end?

think 49ers pre-Harbaugh. This could yet work out in our favor.

Bills won 9 games in spite of Marrone, not because of him. They were never going to do any better if he had stayed. Never. If Polian is in fact the new President, everyone below him will be gone. We will see some familiar faces and some new ones. I know this, I'd bet we will win more than we lose. We will get a QB. We will have a 1st round draft pick in 2015 and spending MONEY is no longer an issue whether it's on coaches or players, it will be spent.

as is being mentioned, could the JETS have had an inkling about this? they already did their "rooney rule" interviews.. tampering???

An they thought their offense was a mess the last few seasons; wait till they get Saint Dug and the their favorite Hack of an OC's son...

I thought that all position coaches and coordinators were considered to be the same level by nfl rules, so the only way it would be a promotion would be if they were offered assistant HC.

Technically you are right. Teams usually will not prevent a guy from getting a promotion though. They will prevent lateral moves.

But he's a big dummy. Actually just a good agent. With relocation a possibility if a new owner came along, it was probably a provision any coach would ask for.

I could understand it if a new owner fired him...but he "opted out" on his own accord.