Marrone in 2015

BmarvB

This is a great post and the exact reason that Marrone has earned his job. The head coach isn't usually the "x & o" guy. He is the leader and the identity of his team. Marrone has flourished in that role. His team has a tough, physical mentality which is exactly what he wanted. He has them playing as a team and for one another. Marrone is definitely better than a lot of us here give him credit for (myself included).

This

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The offense is Marrone's. Everyone bashes Hackett but I would put just as much (if not more) blame on Marrone. As far as physicality, that's on defense and credit would go to Schwartz and Pepper Johnson.

It would be interesting if there is a rift between Marrone and Whalley to see Marrone/Hackett gone. Schwartz HC, Pepper DC and bring in a OC. We might get the best of both worlds. Continuity on D and a competent offense.

Agree on Marrone and Hackett. We haven't given up a passing TD in month and maybe scored up two offensive TDs in the same time span. Marrone doesn't run the D but he does run the offense. So how is it that he is a good HC. If we had Schwartz still as DC and a different coach with this roster we would probably finish the year 12-4 versus probably finishing 9-7....I hope 10-6. But that means Marrone will probably lose us 3 games and win us none! Not good!

Spikes is not getting his credit imo. His fire and borderline recklessness has been the true spark to me on that defense. He brought a serious attitude. I know he has limitations as a player but I hope he comes back next year. Bradham, Brown, Kiko, and Spikes would be fantastic depth and skill at the lb position.

Was looking forward to listening to Spikes on Rome. He never called in.

This is a great post and the exact reason that Marrone has earned his job. The head coach isn't usually the "x & o" guy. He is the leader and the identity of his team. Marrone has flourished in that role. His team has a tough, physical mentality which is exactly what he wanted. He has them playing as a team and for one another. Marrone is definitely better than a lot of us here give him credit for (myself included).

Yes Kirby, but he also hasn't shown much confidence in them either. Particularly the offense.

I think with 8 wins at a minimum Marrone stays for next year. He has developed the team esp the defense and special teams. The O-line has regressed and the QB situation has failed to develop much (Granted not a whole lot to work with when he got here). With another off-season and only one major free agent the team is in a position to at the very least upgrade the O-line and keep the defense elite by resigning Hughes and getting Kiko back.

Overall its hard to see this team developing to anything more than a fringe playoff team without an elite QB or even good QB. Seems like the team will have to build around the defense for next year.

100% Brandon stays for at least 2 more years.

100% whaley stays for at least 1 year.

75% (now 80%) marrone stays, on the condition Hackett is replaced or demoted to QB coach. if he says no to a new OC, then marrone goes.

the future beyond 2015 of GM & coach will be decided by the new yet to be named football czar.

brandons future will be decided by Kim.

I'm ok with Marrone.. not always fine with his decisions, but he's definitely put together a decent staff in places, and the team is on board with his attitude.

Whaley I'll give more time, he needs to go out and get us a better OL. QB I forgive, because that's not easy, hence why there's only a handful of good ones in the league.

If our offensive line was better, and our scheme was improved (Hackett isn't bad at drawing up plays, but I don't think he adjusts to games and team strengths wonderfully, and I'm not sold on his blocking designs) we could be a contender next year... and that's with KO/EJ. Somehow land a better QB and the sky's the limit.

Edited by Dorkington

Yep, and for the people that want him gone. I can't even comprehend where that comes from other than they are basically clueless armchair hot wind bags.

I'll overstate it for the sake of argument:

THEY'RE THE SAME PERSON!

Hackett isn't some autonomous OC who's independently doing his own thing. He's Marrone's protege. He's the guy Marrone chose to install Marrone's offense and execute Marrone's offensive ideas.

Exactly!

The GB win had more to do with mental errors by GB, NOT because Maronne out coached them, or the Bills outplayed them. Keeping Maronne, Hackett and Whaley only guarantees more of Maronnes canned responses for losing games next season.

Edited by Bills Realist

Is it the design of the offense or the QB's? To me it looks more and more that it's the QB's. They can't even make basic throws or lead their WR's. Orton holds on to the ball too long and has no movement in the pocket. He's the most frustrating QB to watch.

Put it this way, do you think a different OC could get more out of either of these QB's? I seriously don't.

How can both Orton and Manuel have the same issues? Inaccurate, inability to find reveivers down field and ineptitude in the red zone. I don't believe in coincidence.

How can both Orton and Manuel have the same issues? Inaccurate, inability to find reveivers down field and ineptitude in the red zone. I don't believe in coincidence.

Really? Those are common problems with lots of average to below average QB's. So you think that somehow Hackett or Marrone has made these players inaccurate and not be able to read defenses?

I know I've read on this very board that Marrone holds unwarranted grudges against players and "punishes" them when they should be out on the field. This supposed support from the players must be a misunderstanding.

I'll overstate it for the sake of argument:

THEY'RE THE SAME PERSON!

Hackett isn't some autonomous OC who's independently doing his own thing. He's Marrone's protege. He's the guy Marrone chose to install Marrone's offense and execute Marrone's offensive ideas.

Now, if they only had a QB who could execute Marrone's offensive ideas. There are way too many times that our QB's miss wide open WR's to place all the blame on Hackett. Overthrown, underthrown or just flat out didn't see him. Hackett can't throw the ball and catch it too. We seem to forget we are rolling out a backup QB at best. A backup QB who was on the verge of retiring before the season began. JMO.

I know I've read on this very board that Marrone holds unwarranted grudges against players and "punishes" them when they should be out on the field. This supposed support from the players must be a misunderstanding.

Probably not mutually exclusive. Being a no-nonsense sort of guy, I wouldn't be surprised if he's well liked among the guys who bought in, and the few that aren't all in, that get punished for it, not so much.

Just last week Marrone admitted he didn't know that Hughes was out of the DL rotation for much of the second half. The same coach who, like his predecessors, punted from mid-field on 4th and short, particularly while behind late. And now he's heralded as a COY candidate?

I recognize a lot of fans want instant gratification because the team beat one of the best teams in the NFL. Beat the Raiders in Oakland and the Patriots away and then yeah, you can start talking culture change.

Just last week Marrone admitted he didn't know that Hughes was out of the DL rotation for much of the second half. The same coach who, like his predecessors, punted from mid-field on 4th and short, particularly while behind late. And now he's heralded as a COY candidate?

I recognize a lot of fans want instant gratification because the team beat one of the best teams in the NFL. Beat the Raiders in Oakland and the Patriots away and then yeah, you can start talking culture change.

BV, I think it's ok to let your opinions evolve every once in awhile. I don't like the guy. His offense is unimaginative and passive. More importantly, I don't like his personality - I think he's a thin-skinned stubborn blowhard who may not be cut out to coach in the big leagues. I've said all year that he should be fired. Having said that, now that his players are defending him and are playing hard for him week in and week out, and now that they have demonstrated that they can step up and beat a very good opponent, at home, in December, and now that his team is marching towards its first winning record in a decade, even you should realize that he probably deserves another year, and possibly even some accolades given the meager QBs he has been given to work with.

That said - if they flop against Oakland and New England, he's back on the spit, as far as I'm concerned. All bets should be off.

Clinching the best record in a decade is a sign of positive change. It's obvious to anyone watching that the team displays a level of aggressiveness and toughness we haven't seen in 15 years. The significance of this should not be downplayed. I've been quick to judge Marrone on his in-game decisions, but in every other game I watch I see "heralded" coaches making similar decisions.

If they lose to Oakland next week it would be a huge disappointment; I've reached the point where I have confidence in the team defense and don't expect that to happen.

If the Bills head into Foxboro on W17 with a 9-6 record, the season is a success and Marrone deserves accolades regardless of the playoff picture.