Marrone in 2015

BmarvB

Say what you want about Marrone, but the Bills are much better now (except at QB) than they were before he came here. That alone is enough for him to rightfully return next season and improve the offensive production. A better QB and upgraded O-Line will make this team a championship contender. For a second year head coach he's earned that much no matter what his critics think.

As for Hackett, let's be fair about it. Look at the QB's he's had to work with. Orton's the best of the bunch? Really?? Seriously??? Let's see what he can do with an upgrade at that position.

Edited by BmarvB

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say what you want about Marrone, but the Bills are much better now (except at QB) than they were before he came here. That alone is enough for him to rightfully return next season and improve the offensive production. A better QB and upgraded O-Line will make this team a championship contender. For a second year head coach he's earned that much no matter what his critics think.

As for Hackett, let's be fair about it. Look at the QB's he's had to work with. Orton's the best of the bunch? Really?? Seriously??? Let's see what he can do with an upgrade at that position.

I think if the O=line can be improved, and get a decent QB in here to compete with Kyle, this coaching staff could look much better. It took a lot of nerve to not want to let your coaching career wash down the toilet with a crappy QB, especially when he was drafted to be the franchise guy.

Who would the Bills even get that would be better than Marrone? I'm thinking at least eight teams fire their coaches, and I don't like the odds of upgrading with that many vacancies. We could upgrade our OC and line coach, but how many people were clamoring for Crossman's head? We all thought Crossman was terrible, and then Whaley brought in some good players and our special teams have been great.

Marrone is doing a good job instilling a physical mentality. He deserves to stay.

Hackett is getting worse and MUST go. The design of the offense is atrocious.

Is it the design of the offense or the QB's? To me it looks more and more that it's the QB's. They can't even make basic throws or lead their WR's. Orton holds on to the ball too long and has no movement in the pocket. He's the most frustrating QB to watch.

Put it this way, do you think a different OC could get more out of either of these QB's? I seriously don't.

The players sticking up for Marrone yesterday changed my opinion of him. That was the first time I've ever heard a groundswell of support from his players, which, coupled with the improved record, changes my view - I think he should get another season.

That said, it's a shared Marrone/Whaley issue that they had to scrap their entire plan for the offense this year because of sub-par QB and guard talent. It's totally unacceptable and if it doesn't get fixed this offseason, they should both be shown the door.

Is it the design of the offense or the QB's? To me it looks more and more that it's the QB's. They can't even make basic throws or lead their WR's. Orton holds on to the ball too long and has no movement in the pocket. He's the most frustrating QB to watch.

Put it this way, do you think a different OC could get more out of either of these QB's? I seriously don't.

I believe it's both. Hackett doesn't have a creative offense that guys receivers down the field in space, it seems like there are a lot of routes that fall short of the required yardage.

But on that note, I agree with your comments on Orton.

this.

The play calls were correct most of the time in our losses. And some of our wins. The issue is execution. Maybe it's the QBs throwing terrible passes and making terrible decisions. Maybe it's the WRs running the wrong routes. Either way, the plays were right. The opportunities were there to be made. The execution is failing. It looks more like the QB than anything but it could be failure all around.

Another way to look at it is...

Would these QBs look better with a playoff caliber OC?

Or

Would this OC look better with a playoff caliber QB?

I believe it's both. Hackett doesn't have a creative offense that guys receivers down the field in space, it seems like there are a lot of routes that fall short of the required yardage.

But on that note, I agree with your comments on Orton.

they fall short because Orton throws the underneath routes on 3rd and 8 that are short of the 1st down instead of passing beyond the marker. Those plays are designed so that if the underneath WR is open to dump it off. Orton os the one not realizing that the players are in blanketed coverage short of the 1st down marker.

That or maybe it's idiots like Chandler who consistently run routes 2 yards short of the marker.

Marrone is doing a good job instilling a physical mentality. He deserves to stay.

The offense is Marrone's. Everyone bashes Hackett but I would put just as much (if not more) blame on Marrone. As far as physicality, that's on defense and credit would go to Schwartz and Pepper Johnson.

It would be interesting if there is a rift between Marrone and Whalley to see Marrone/Hackett gone. Schwartz HC, Pepper DC and bring in a OC. We might get the best of both worlds. Continuity on D and a competent offense.

Edited by Maddog69

1) we still trot out lee smith regularly. thats NOT on the QB and is a problem.

2) if our OC and QB are unable to get on the same page for an offense that the veteran qb can execute after the coaches fighting for said known quantity qb - again a problem.

our qb is surely part of the problem - a big part. but i dont think you can let hackett off the hook either.

Edited by NoSaint

1) we still trot out lee smith regularly. thats NOT on the QB and is a problem.

2) if our OC and QB are unable to get on the same page for an offense that the veteran qb can execute after the coaches fighting for said known quantity qb - again a problem.

Orton is still the best option at QB for now so there's nobody else.

If you have a gripe with that, it should be with Whaley for not getting a better QB. But something tells me your happy with Whaley considering all the other moves he's made that have worked out.

I do. As an example from yesterday my brother was counting Lee Smith's snaps and what happened when he was out there. His 1st 30 snaps were like 28 runs and 2 passes (both to him). To take it a step further why would you have an offense where Lee Smith is playing 30+ snaps? Last week in the 4th quarter they moved the football when Hackett took the lousy TEs off the field and spread it.

People harp on the play calling but the whole plan is just broken. I know what they are going to do before the ball is snapped about 70% of the time and I know nothing. Imagine how predictable it is to teams that watched film all week?

I'll overstate it for the sake of argument:

THEY'RE THE SAME PERSON!

Hackett isn't some autonomous OC who's independently doing his own thing. He's Marrone's protege. He's the guy Marrone chose to install Marrone's offense and execute Marrone's offensive ideas.

I do. As an example from yesterday my brother was counting Lee Smith's snaps and what happened when he was out there. His 1st 30 snaps were like 28 runs and 2 passes (both to him). To take it a step further why would you have an offense where Lee Smith is playing 30+ snaps? Last week in the 4th quarter they moved the football when Hackett took the lousy TEs off the field and spread it.

People harp on the play calling but the whole plan is just broken. I know what they are going to do before the ball is snapped about 70% of the time and I know nothing. Imagine how predictable it is to teams that watched film all week?

clearly, you just dont see lee smiths high upside. hes a dynamic player. i was inspired when i saw him beating his chest after a play. he didnt even have to block anyone, as the defender was probably scared to engage him. on another play, i saw him spring a runner while behind the runner. #thelegendofleesmith

Edited by NoSaint

clearly, you just dont see lee smiths high upside. hes a dynamic player.

You can harp on Lee Smith being in the game all you want, but until our QB stops missing wide open receivers and until our running backs stop missing clear lanes, who cares? It's a talking point you're sticking to, and you keep hammering it home as if Lee Smith in the game = inherently bad. No. It's not. The play designs and protection schemes are getting receivers open and giving the QB time, regardless of who's in the game or regardless of what packages you and/or KTD want to gripe about.

EXECUTION has been terrible. And unless you expected Orton to come in here and be our franchise's savior, you should have seen it coming.

We had three wide open shots at the endzone yesterday: one was an overthrow to Woods, one was a pick in a jumpball that was underthrown to Watkins and Brown cut back middle when he had a lane wide open to the outside on the broken play.

You could swap Lee Smith with Roscoe !@#$ing Parish, and all of these plays would have had the exact same result.

Edited by The Big Cat

The players sticking up for Marrone yesterday changed my opinion of him. That was the first time I've ever heard a groundswell of support from his players, which, coupled with the improved record, changes my view - I think he should get another season.

That said, it's a shared Marrone/Whaley issue that they had to scrap their entire plan for the offense this year because of sub-par QB and guard talent. It's totally unacceptable and if it doesn't get fixed this offseason, they should both be shown the door.

One thing we can all agree on: these Bills always play hard. Not always smart (the penalties, the unsportsmanlike conducts -- Pears could've had on yesterday too), but always hard. After last week and everyone knowing our minimal playoff chances, a letdown wouldn't have been surprising. It didn't happen.

One thing we can all agree on: these Bills always play hard. Not always smart (the penalties, the unsportsmanlike conducts -- Pears could've had on yesterday too), but always hard. After last week and everyone knowing our minimal playoff chances, a letdown wouldn't have been surprising. It didn't happen.

ill agree there -- talking to BC and FC in threads earlier about what he was exceptional at i kind of wrote that off as not being bad but not having seen anything particularly impressive. the last couple weeks ive been pretty happy with the motivational aspect.