The Possibly Intriguing QB Trade Market

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, im gonna take even a less popular stance than start EJ. Build a ridiculous offensive line. Draft linemen in our first 3 pics. The more things change the more they stay the same. Big men win football games.

EJ will look amazing behind a brick wall. Running backs, up the gut behind world class blocking? Amazing.

Get a monster center, move Woods to guard, a monster RT. Problem solved. Well be polishing our trophy in no time!

If we re-sign Spikes he would be out Mike, Preston Brown would play Will, and did you forget about Kiko playing the Sam? Nigel is gonna be a backup next year

Spikes won't be back, and even if he were, Nigel wouldn't be a backup. Nigel has been the best LB on the field this season for the Bills -- not to disrespect Brown or Spikes, they've both been great.

That's just how well Nigel's played. He's young and still hasn't hit his ceiling. No way you trade a talent like that, let alone put him on the pine.

If Eli were available, I'd say go for it. Nobody in that articale interests me tho. Kap has been good, so has Foles but I wonder why they failed so bad this year. And that is a big question if your going to invest in them.

Eli always has had ups and downs and the team surounding him is very average, we too (like the gints) would have to really fix the oline though. I know he still has it in him to put it together. If TC is gone this year, he may go on the market.

Well, im gonna take even a less popular stance than start EJ. Build a ridiculous offensive line. Draft linemen in our first 3 pics. The more things change the more they stay the same. Big men win football games.

EJ will look amazing behind a brick wall. Running backs, up the gut behind world class blocking? Amazing.

Get a monster center, move Woods to guard, a monster RT. Problem solved. Well be polishing our trophy in no time!

Sign the top Guard or 2 in FA.

I agree with your point about upgrading the offensive line. It is mostly a matter of upgrading the guard position. An upgraded offensive line would help EJ, Kyle, or whoever is the QB.

RGIII's contract situation sounds the most appealing of all these QBs. He still in his rookie contract which has one year left on it. He is only going to be making $3.3 million next season as a base salary and then it could be decided based on his play whether or not to pick up his 5th year option. It sounds almost worth trading a mid round pick to pay him the 3.3 million for next season and then if it doesn't work cut him in 2016 with no penalty. I would make this move

Edited by Buffwagonscircled

You could get Cutler with a 6th round pick but then you take on the contract too. He is a cancer but he is way better than anything we have here. He and this defense make the playoffs no doubt.

Where did you come up with this? A sixth round pick? John Clayton said he will probably cost a second round pick, and maybe two second round picks. I think one second round pick is way too much, but Cutler for a sixth rounder??? Never happen. Mike Williams is what you get with a sixth round pick. I would give up a third for Cutler, maybe a little more.

Edited by Not Again

If we re-sign Spikes he would be out Mike, Preston Brown would play Will, and did you forget about Kiko playing the Sam? Nigel is gonna be a backup next year

Look, Mike had a great run (6 NBA rings and even a stint as a minor league baseball player) but he's old, and anywaywho can be sure hed be good at football?

Will is dead, he got shot in the courtroom. Haven't you been watching?

Sam got cut by 2 teams. He wasn't NFL material, just got taken with a throwaway 7th round pick for social, not football, reasons.

Interesting article by Bill Barnwell with plenty of Bills mentions.

http://grantland.com...b-trade-market/

Kaepernick was pretty good so maybe a change of scenery could rejuvenate him.

If the Browns don't want Johny I would trade EJ and Orton for him.

Even the hint of read-option with Orton at QB would kill opposing DCs with laughter

then we should definitely run it, as dead opposing DCs would do wonders for our offense.

#1 - Bradford

#2 - Mallett

might as well

Agreed. We are stuck...and so are the rest of the NFL teams. EJ is our QB if Orton falters.

:death: :death:

EJ Orton will look amazing behind a brick wall. Running backs, up the gut behind world class blocking? Amazing.

All of the guys on the list have some warts, otherwise they would not be available. That's what makes this hard, along with the fact that the Bills would have to give up a valuable draft pick (or two) to get any of them. Unfortunately, our front office has not demonstrated any ability to evaluate QB talent, so I have little confidence that the Bills will make the best of this difficult situation.

I don't understand why a lot of these guys would become available. Cutler might because I think the Bears might decide to go into total rebuild mode - ditch the coaching staff, ditch Cutler, ditch Marshall, ditch Tillman, ditch Briggs and ditch the Jared Allen experiment and try and get some young talent back on the defense and start again with a young QB a young, fresh coach and a some cap space.

I think Eli Manning might be in a similar boat with the Giants who look like they might clean house and Sam Bradford is going to be gone in St Louis because his contract is too big when you consider the Rams haven't suffereda huge drop off in QB production without him.

The rest? Listen I'm no lover of Nick Foles, RGIII, Kaepernick or Dalton..... but all have demonstrated that in the right conditions they can win in this league. Each of those teams with the exception of Washington have a lot of talent right across their rosters.... why would they ditch a guys who has shown he can start, albeit is flawed, in order to roll the dice on a rookie when the chances are none of them have a shot at the top 2 guys in the class? It makes no sense to me. The RGIII situation is a power struggle and there is a chance he loses... the other three, however, would amaze me if they move teams this offseason.

I don't understand why a lot of these guys would become available. Cutler might because I think the Bears might decide to go into total rebuild mode - ditch the coaching staff, ditch Cutler, ditch Marshall, ditch Tillman, ditch Briggs and ditch the Jared Allen experiment and try and get some young talent back on the defense and start again with a young QB a young, fresh coach and a some cap space.

I think Eli Manning might be in a similar boat with the Giants who look like they might clean house and Sam Bradford is going to be gone in St Louis because his contract is too big when you consider the Rams haven't suffereda huge drop off in QB production without him.

The rest? Listen I'm no lover of Nick Foles, RGIII, Kaepernick or Dalton..... but all have demonstrated that in the right conditions they can win in this league. Each of those teams with the exception of Washington have a lot of talent right across their rosters.... why would they ditch a guys who has shown he can start, albeit is flawed, in order to roll the dice on a rookie when the chances are none of them have a shot at the top 2 guys in the class? It makes no sense to me. The RGIII situation is a power struggle and there is a chance he loses... the other three, however, would amaze me if they move teams this offseason.

I agree, and I think the guy who wrote the article agrees, too. Other than Cutler (and maybe RGIII) I don't really think any of these guys will be traded, due to the fact that these teams don't appear to have viable backup plans.

spikes is only good vs the run. he is an absolute liability in coverage.

I see bradham as the future middle LB. with brown and kiko on the outsides.

yes and we drop out the NFL and join the NCAA

Right, because no college coaches succeed in the NFL. Not Chip Kelly, not Pete Carroll, not Jim Harbaugh, etc.

C'mon

Further, you HAVE to have noticed that it's the college game that's shaping the pro game nowadays, not the other way around.

Honestly, I don't seen anybody on that list that is so much better than what we already have. Cutler is the only one I think is clearly better than Orton and/or Manuel, if he is in the right situation. And his cost his way too high.

The other guys? Sure, some of them are intriguing, but not at what they would cost.

I agree, and Cutler might be more of a gunslinger. But he also has a tendency to turn the ball over more then he should, and that makes him less attractive.None of those QB's would play well behind the current Bills O line, and for the current coaching staff.

RG3 has the "yips'', Kaep can't throw downfield, and he has TE Vernon Davis, WR's Anquan Bolden, Brandon Lloyd, Michael Crabtree, Stevie Johnson. Kaepernick with a genuine QB guru in Jim Harbaugh coaching him, and he still sucks. there is no hope, save perhaps Chip Kelly.

I'll tell ya what, a new offensive coaching staff intelligent enough to change the current OG's, and build a better run game. Then Orton or EJ might do better then all those mentioned. JMO. Fitz isn't better then Orton or EJ, he just has a solid run game to lean on in Houston.

Right, because no college coaches succeed in the NFL. Not Chip Kelly, not Pete Carroll, not Jim Harbaugh, etc.

C'mon

Further, you HAVE to have noticed that it's the college game that's shaping the pro game nowadays, not the other way around.

Dude you are crazy!!! Look at the struggles that these rookie receivers are having adjusting to the pro game!! I mean: Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks, Landry, Bryant, Brown, Benjamin, Matthews, Hurns, Robinson etc... The struggles that these guys have had adapting to the pro game is evidence that it's a HUGE step from college to the pros. Those guys just aren't prepared when they get there.

I think there are aging QBs not mentioned in that article that might be available depending on whether their teams decide to embark on a rebuilding program and want to save some money and/or the last weeks of the season don't go well.

Eli Manning (NY would save $17.5 million)

Tony Romo (Has a base salary of $17 million)

Drew Brees (NO plans to draft a Brees replacement in 2015 and NO has a $27 million cap hit for him on a team with a lot of holes)

The problem for the Bills is that it is a sellers market this year and the Bills don't have a 1st round draft pick to use and they'd have to absorb A LOT of those contracts.

Would not trade for any of the quarterbacks listed. Really, how much better are the QB's listed than what is on the roster already minus what you would loose in a trade. The best option is to hope someone like Bradford gets cut and grab him. Also cross your fingers that EJ can develop. If the Bills draft some run blocking guards and a stud running back it will do a lot more than wasting time on leftover QB's.

Right now, developing EJM is the only option with any upside, however unlikely it might be. Just keep EJM and Orton, and draft another QB.

And please don't tell me using the 2nd round pick on a Guard is the right choice. There are ways to get good lineman (if a real attempt is made), a QB pretty much has to be drafted.

It's gonna take years...

Drafting another QB might be the way to go but we'd be looking at using a 2nd or 3rd round pick to do that in 2015. Which college QB coming out in the draft would anyone recommend? And as you stated it is going to take years with this approach. But how long can the Bills keep the strength of this team together, this defensive group? And isn't 15 seasons without a playoff appearance long enough? At this rate most of us will be dead from old age before the Bills make the playoffs.

I'd we willing to take a shot at RG3 or Bradford if they're available as a 'short term' but at the same time look to the draft as a 'long term' solution because I think the best approach is not to do one or the other but rather both. To me its not one or the other but a combination that might yield success.

I've stopped buying into the 'we need to wait 2 or 3 seasons' approach. We need to focus on the goal of winning in 2015 with a capable veteran (assuming that we agree that's not Orton) and also keep an eye on the future by trying to develop EJ or some other QB's via the draft. Hell, even look at the CFL. I'm wondering if the best QB in the Canadian league is better than what we have now?

Edited by All_Pro_Bills