The Possibly Intriguing QB Trade Market

If I am Doug Whaley.... I sign two great offensive lineman in free agency. If I can do a duel trade for both Cutler and Martellus Bennett, I think I am willing to give our 2nd this year and our 3rd next year, maybe a bit more.

Assuming your defense remains the same, except maybe for Spikes leaving and Brown moving to the middle, and with Kiko added? I think after a full season under Schwartz the Bills defense next year could be dominate the whole season like they are now.

I don't think a lot of people realize it right now because we have not been to the playoffs in so long, but this team could win the Super Bowl in 2015. If they find a very good QB, or get a just a good QB in a good situation with the right offensive coordinator, I think they might be a favorite. This might be the best defense in Bills history. Honestly the only one in my lifetime including the early 90's that compares is the 99' homerun throwback team.

With this defense right now we have a 2-3 window. We might be a rare team who can win it all without a great QB. If Whaley and Pegula realize this window and are willing to spend in free agency we could very easily go from a below average to great offensive line.

Roll out with our defense next year being arguably the best in the NFL. Pay to have one of the best lines in the league. You have Watkins and Woods on the outside and Hogan in the middle as the possession receiver. Pay for the best offensive coordinator you can possibly find. I am comfortable with Jackson/Brown/Dixon. If Spiller is here that is even better. Then we are extremely solid at every position except QB and TE.

Maybe if you put Cutler in the right situation with a good OC, very nice weapons (which he obviously already has), a great offensive line, and most importantly an elite defense that will allow Cutler and the Bills to have a more balanced offense where Cutler isn't always trying to play catch up, he could be successful.

We have a window right now and the whole inside many of us that can only be filled by a Super Bowl win can be closed in the next 3 years if we find a capable QB. I would prefer to pay through the nose for Matt Ryan but if Cutler is there for a reasonable price, like a 3rd this year and a 5th next year, I would take a shot. Obviously I would love the previously stated Cutler/Bennett deal.

We have not be to the playoffs in 14 seasons but I believe that not only a playoff window, but a Super Bowl window is opening now. We have to do whatever it takes to find a QB.

Edited by Proteus

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half the battle is finding a guy to develop. Check... then you have to get him to buy into riding pine and being a sponge... the hardest part... check. All we need is a coaching staff that is really good at development. I know it sounds ignorant but was Marrone there for Nassibs whole career? I say that because I want to know who developed him. Is he great? No but I just wonder the developmental acumen of this offensive staff.

Who told you Fitz didnt wanna be here? Its my understanding that he wanted a guarantee that he would get an honest chance at starting. Marrone told him that he was going to mentor and backup EJ. With that he was gone

EJ and Fitz were never on the roster together there is no way a conversation like that took place.