Memorable Bills-related snow days

Little help here folks:

Putting together a story on memorable weather-related events that have affected Bills games.

Of course, I've got the game in Cleveland in 2008, when the Bills were forced to bus home. Then there was the 2009 season-finale against Indy played in front of 25,000 or so fans.

Trying to recall any others dating back to before my time.

I know there was one game in which the Bills flew home and were forced to land in Niagara Falls. Any idea on that.

Any help would be appreciated. And I think it's not a bad discussion starter either. After all, what else is there to do ;)

jw

literally any of the miami games in the early 90s those were my favorite game of the year

There was a game vs. Miami that I went to in the mid to late 80's. It was a low scoring game. Maybe no points near halftime by anyone. As fate would have it, we scored a td and right away the sky opened up and it snowed. A lot. I remember the whole stadium cheering on the snow and singing "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow". Miami didn't get past midfield the rest of the game.

There was a game vs. Miami that I went to in the mid to late 80's. It was a low scoring game. Maybe no points near halftime by anyone. As fate would have it, we scored a td and right away the sky opened up and it snowed. A lot. I remember the whole stadium cheering on the snow and singing "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow". Miami didn't get past midfield the rest of the game.

It was the 90s I believe but yeah this one sticks out to me.

The worst weather wise game I went to was the Giants game the year they ruined the Pats* perfect season. Sideways freezing rain right in our face (section 122 - imagine that).

What game was it the the goalpost got blown down? It was either the Chargers or the Browns but I can't quite remember.

I was at this one: http://www.billsdaily.com/articles/thunder/ne2.html

I remember it was relatively warm when I got into Buffalo from Syracuse at about 9 am that morning. But the wind was howling and the temperature dropped quickly and consistently throughout the game until blizzard conditions hit during the game. I remember how surreal it looked with the lights on and the snow swirling around. Drive home was a nightmare, especially since i stopped at my sister's for dinner after the game and played some pool with a buddy in Clarence. That was a loooong cold day. Oh, and they lost in OT.

weather wise game I went to was the Giants game the year they ruined the Pats* perfect season. Sideways freezing rain right in our face (section 122 - imagine that).

That was a bad game, I was hoping for game to end.

So were:

1. the 1993-1994 playoffs vs Raiders (0 degrees and windchill of -32 degrees at kickoff I believe)
  2. the Bills-Browns game of 2007
  3. The day OJ Simpson hit 2000 yards against Jets in 1973

but those were away games

Aside from games against the Dolphins, when was the last time a Buffalo Bills team played a dominating game in the snow to defeat an opponent? I remember them being almighty in the 1990s for snow games, but despite all the talk about the Bills being a snow and cold weather monolith, I'm at a loss to remember a memorable non-Miami performance. The December 2007 blizzard game in Cleveland where we lost 8-0 frustrates me to this day. Trent Edwards was an abysmal 13-33 124yds, hardly a traditional Bills cold and snow monster game. Derek Anderson wasn't much better for the Browns but Jamal Lewis rolled up 163 yards on the ground on 33 carries to push them to a win. The Bills were a promising 7-6 coming into the game off a blowout victory at home against Miami and they dropped their final three to finish 7-9.

What about games when it was hot or raining a lot? Maybe a good way to look at the opposite end of the spectrum? Was it the Jags opener back in like 04 that it was insanely hot? It was one of the openers where it was a Summer high temp.

There was a Bills dolphins game, can't remember when it was, but Miami's RB at the time rushed for something like 250+ yards (guessing Ricky Williams). Was watching on TV. Went to a commercial and nothing was happening, they came back from break and you couldn't see the field. Complete white out.

That and the Cleveland 8-0 game are the two I remember the most.

What about games when it was hot or raining a lot? Maybe a good way to look at the opposite end of the spectrum? Was it the Jags opener back in like 04 that it was insanely hot? It was one of the openers where it was a Summer high temp.

Now that you said rain, I went to a game against the Giants in 2006 I think were it was in December and mid 40's. Winds at 20mph consistently and just poured rain the whole time. Every score was at one end of the field the wind was so bad in the stadium. Had to leave at the half because I had 4 layers on and was drenched by then.

Edited by The Wiz

There was a Bills dolphins game, can't remember when it was, but Miami's RB at the time rushed for something like 250+ yards (guessing Ricky Williams). Was watching on TV. Went to a commercial and nothing was happening, they came back from break and you couldn't see the field. Complete white out.

2002 and yes that was Ricky Williams

I was at this one: http://www.billsdail...hunder/ne2.html

I remember it was relatively warm when I got into Buffalo from Syracuse at about 9 am that morning. But the wind was howling and the temperature dropped quickly and consistently throughout the game until blizzard conditions hit during the game. I remember how surreal it looked with the lights on and the snow swirling around. Drive home was a nightmare, especially since i stopped at my sister's for dinner after the game and played some pool with a buddy in Clarence. That was a loooong cold day. Oh, and they lost in OT.

That was the most memorable winter weather game of the couple hundred games I have attended because like you said, it started out a decent fall-kinda' day.

It was a painful game to watch with the wind blowing the snow/sleet sideways and the teams unable to move the ball and kickers unable to stay upright.....but in hindsight it was historically important as it was the last time that the Bills and Patriots were on any kind of even footing.

I can remember thinking how old and f*cked the Patriots were getting with Bledsoe in decline and their roster of underachievers and mediocre whatizzy's like McGinnest and Brushii, respectively. Then BB upped his video taping and steroid games and got lucky with Brady and the rest is history. But I digress.

We hung in to the end and were shocked how much snow had accumulated in the parking lots. We left east bound down 20A and it was closed not far from East Aurora and we were detoured by some cop/fireman down this road that plunged into this deep ravine that was covered with ice both up and down. There was a car off the road at the bottom and others stuck on the upside that couldn't get up the icy road so I floored it downhill scraping against the high piled snowbank on the right side of the road to stay straight on the ice and had enough momentum to get up the other side and avoid the stranded cars with the 12 passenger 2 wheel drive ram van and made it around the detour thru the countryside and 20 minutes later we were in Warsaw and it hadn't snowed a flake all day and was calm. That's lake effect for ya' and on a much smaller scale an example of what is going on now.

December 18, 2000|By ALAN GREENBERG; Courant Staff Writer

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. With all flights canceled and the Buffalo airport already closed, the Patriots and Bills were two bad teams going nowhere Sunday, both literally and figuratively. They played in a snowstorm that turned vicious in the second half -- with swirling winds gusting up to 50 mph and the artificial turf beneath their frozen feet as slick as a skating rink.

``Worst conditions I've ever played in,'' said Patriots punter Lee Johnson, a 16-year NFL veteran, a view echoed by players on both teams.

http://articles.courant.com/2000-12-18/sports/0012180702_1_patriots-rob-johnson-bills

I was at this game, I was sitting in the red club seats, the highest row, which was under cover of upper deck. snow was going sideways and hitting me in face.

Edited by papazoid

It was the 90s I believe but yeah this one sticks out to me.

The worst weather wise game I went to was the Giants game the year they ruined the Pats* perfect season. Sideways freezing rain right in our face (section 122 - imagine that).

What game was it the the goalpost got blown down? It was either the Chargers or the Browns but I can't quite remember.

I think the Dolphins game with the wall of snow might have been in the early 2000s. I want to say Bledsoe was the quarterback. I distinctly recall the skies opening at one of those games and some cheesy song about snow playing over the PA. I'm pretty sure Ray Lucas played for the Dolphins in that game.

Totally agree that the Giants in '07 was the worst weather game ever here. I'd nominate the game against the Phoenix Cardinals in 1990 as another all-around crappy day. The home game against the Jets to clinch home field (I think 1991) should be on the list, too, because of the brutal cold and the snow and ice pervasive in the stadium.

The wind impacted the goalposts in a season finale against New England.

I'll add to the list of "best" weather games: the 1990 Miami playoff game was a blast, and I think there was enough snow at the first AFC championship game for it to make the list.

AFC Championship against the Raiders, second coldest game ever in the NFL... i sat on ice but we won 51-3. never been colder in my life. lots of ice and snow in the stadium and parking lot but the field was all good.

you have mixed up two raiders playoff games. The afc championship game was not that cold. The game you are alluding to was a couple years later.

you have mixed up two raiders playoff games. The afc championship game was not that cold. The game you are alluding to was a couple years later.

i stand corrected, you are right, i was at both and i was only 12 and 15 but man ... about as cold as you can imagine for 3+ hrs for sure Edited by SJDK