The all Sam Bradford thread

I'd rather have Colt Mc Coy from the same draft class. field general. sure can't throw it 70 yds in the air, but really, how many times in a game does that happen? and is a lot more mobile. got a raw deal in cleve.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most here are missing the bigger picture that no QB is going to succeed in Buffalo with the current O line the way it is. Then with Hackett calling 40 passes a game, and only 20 rushes a game. The team has no solid run game, so I doubt Orton or any QB succeeds with him as OC.

I think with new coaching, and an upgraded line that EJ should get another look. JMO.

Saying lets fix the OG position around here is easy, and yet doesn't get fixed after two years of off seasons. Even as lame as Dick Jauron was he recognized that the interior of the line is important as he spent a 1st rounder on a center, and a 2nd on a OG. Recently tho, someone in the Org has it in their heads that OG's can be found in later rounds, and that OT's can simply move inside to play guard. How has that been working out?

Can he stay healthy is the question. Still not really proven.

THAT'S the big #1 question about him. #2 would be, can the OL keep him upright. If yes to both, then yeah, why not kick the tires on him. Make it a 3 way competition next year.

Stupid question, but doesn't Orton's contract make it unlikely that the Bills would sign another (relatively high-priced) vet like Bradford, as opposed to taking a QB in the draft?

Good point.

My two cents is what would a guy like Bradford cost? Are we thinking 8-10 a year for three or four years? Then i think the Bills could afford both guys.

However right now i doubt the Bills bring Bradford in, but roll with Orton and EJ. EJ sits another year and is maybe ready to start 2016?

I could see the Bills taking a QB project possibly in the 3-5th rounds this year. I think a major reason the Bills will be able to do that is because this is a team with few weak spots.

Good point.

My two cents is what would a guy like Bradford cost? Are we thinking 8-10 a year for three or four years? Then i think the Bills could afford both guys.

However right now i doubt the Bills bring Bradford in, but roll with Orton and EJ. EJ sits another year and is maybe ready to start 2016?

I could see the Bills taking a QB project possibly in the 3-5th rounds this year. I think a major reason the Bills will be able to do that is because this is a team with few weak spots.

I think, depending upon the timing of Bradford's release and when Orton's player option for 2015 kicks in, that it's entirely possible that the signing of Bradford would cause Orton to opt out of his contract for 2015 and test the FA market in the hope of starting somewhere.

Just my opinion though.

Even as lame as Dick Jauron was he recognized that the interior of the line is important as he spent a 1st rounder on a center, and a 2nd on a OG. Recently tho, someone in the Org has it in their heads that OG's can be found in later rounds, and that OT's can simply move inside to play guard. How has that been working out?

Don't want to burst your bubble, but ...

It only took him 3 years to figure that out. Wood and Levite were drafted in 2009.

And how could someone forget DJ trying to implement the no-huddle in 2009 with Levitre (rookie LG), Wood (rookie RG), Hangartner ©, Langston Walker (an adequate slow footed RT switched to LT) / D. Bell (a 2008 7th round developmental prospect, a/k/a "revolving door", as LT) and Brad Butler (an injury prone mediocre RG switched to RT).

Yeah, even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

I think, depending upon the timing of Bradford's release and when Orton's player option for 2015 kicks in, that it's entirely possible that the signing of Bradford would cause Orton to opt out of his contract for 2015 and test the FA market in the hope of starting somewhere.

Just my opinion though.

Thank you for that, i was unaware that the second year was a player option, and i agree. If the Bills bring another Vet in like a Bradford Orton is gone.

Personally i hope Orton plays great and gets the Bills into the playoffs, maybe he will put it all together finally.

IF Orton got 'hot' for a stretch in the playoffs this team could make some noise.

Ok...well, before he went out for his every-other-year season ending injury, was anyone really saying, even to themselves.."hey, wouldn't it be nice if Sam Bradford was available as a FA?"

It's not believable anyone was coveting this guy at all.

How many teams were coveting Orton? Not many people are suggesting that Bradford is a guaranteed acquisition. The main point is that this offseason the Bills probably won't go after a qb in the draft, at least not with a high pick. Even with Orton on the roster the available veteran qbs on the market should at least be considered. Based on his prior performance, health history and exorbitant salary odds are that Bradford will be let go. Why not take a look and see if he is first healthy and then what if anything he has left.

Orton didn't have many suitors last offseason. He wasn't on any roster until the season started. Yet he has been not only useful but also an upgrade at his position. If that situation can be replicated then why not try it?

Good point.

Look, by all accounts Bradford is a good, hardworking kid. And arguably he got a raw deal in St Louis with a new OC every year.

But really - he's been in the league 5 years, and what has he done except get injured and show flashes? Again, he's a good kid and he's shown flashes, but help me understand - why exactly would we want to pay him a lot of $$ and bring him in?

Stupid question, but doesn't Orton's contract make it unlikely that the Bills would sign another (relatively high-priced) vet like Bradford, as opposed to taking a QB in the draft?

I think Orton's cap hit is approx $7 million next year. We should have room for a $8 QB and then some if we wanted to go that route. Maybe even up to $12 million. If we go up to $12 million it would handcuff us potentially on other FAs.

I think 5 years is enough of a sample size. Even guys like Eli Manning and Alex Smith who struggled their first couple of years eventually got it together. Bradford just doesn't seem to be that good.

Actually Alex Smith's first 4 years were considerably worse than Bradford's and whilst he started to show the first tangible signs of competence in year 5, Bradford's year 5 has been lost to injury and he was certainly in a better position starting it than Smith was his. My view is Orton still has some way to go to win this job for the start of next season. He may get there and then the Quarterback talk probably disappears. If he doesn't the Bills have to consider the best free agent option out there, in my view Sam Bradford will probably be that.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on him. Doesn't appear he'll get his job back in St. Louis. Would you like us to bring him in? I would love to see him and a qb we draft battle it out for the job.

What has Bradford ever done in the NFL besides get hurt?

No thanks