Please tell me why Kyle Orton is not the long term answer ?

HOUSE

Orton could be like what Trent Green was for the Chiefs..good enough to get them to the playoffs but not a real super bowl contender...

That's good enough for right now considering we haven't been to the postseason in 14 years

Or Brad Johnson with the Bucs or Trent Dilfer with the Ravens...

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I joined this thread too late. I don't have time to read 17 pages. So if somebody mentioned Mark Rypien before, excuse me. That guy was a statue, but Washington built a wall in front of him, and he got sacked 8 times all year. And throttled the Bills in the Super Bowl.

Put a wall in front of KO and see what happens.

I joined this thread too late. I don't have time to read 17 pages. So if somebody mentioned Mark Rypien before, excuse me. That guy was a statue, but Washington built a wall in front of him, and he got sacked 8 times all year. And throttled the Bills in the Super Bowl.

I'm with you. I would give Orton the extension and go all in on the O-line, the only serious weakness on the team. Yes, it would be gamble, but what is the alternative? E.J. Manuel, Take Two? Another vet? A second round developmental project? With a strong running game and excellent protection, you don't need Orton at his absolute best to make the Bills a top-ten team, especially with this defense and wide receiver corps. They're ready now, in fact, except (a huge except) for what might be the worst line in franchise history. It's a stretch to hope that this coaching staff could pull together a line with what they have to work with (although I fantasize about a Hairston-Glenn-Wood-Urbick-Kujo scenario), but between free agency, the draft and maybe some development of the young guys, it's reasonable to think they might pull it off next year and go deep into the playoffs. But, yes, it starts with resigning Orton.

Buffalo fans are a very skeptical bunch....We have seen quarterbacks look pretty good then fade. Losman,Edwards,Fitzpatrick.

Kyle Orton does seem different though but he also has a more talented offense then the rest of those guys.

I'm with you. I would give Orton the extension and go all in on the O-line, the only serious weakness on the team. Yes, it would be gamble, but what is the alternative? E.J. Manuel, Take Two? Another vet? A second round developmental project? With a strong running game and excellent protection, you don't need Orton at his absolute best to make the Bills a top-ten team, especially with this defense and wide receiver corps. They're ready now, in fact, except (a huge except) for what might be the worst line in franchise history. It's a stretch to hope that this coaching staff could pull together a line with what they have to work with (although I fantasize about a Hairston-Glenn-Wood-Urbick-Kujo scenario), but between free agency, the draft and maybe some development of the young guys, it's reasonable to think they might pull it off next year and go deep into the playoffs. But, yes, it starts with resigning Orton.

The serious weakness on this team is Marrone, an extremely average college coach contracted for bottom dollar. Too bad he never played on a o- line or understands the importance of one................. But wait he did and is a supposed guru. So is it Whaley? The success or failure of this team falls squarely on the head coach. His crony hires will simply be collateral damage.

Kim, needs to make a very close assement of this team. Since playoff windows are typically short. And they will most likely be losing some important parts in the next few years for various reasons.

Yep, the OL will be the key here. The defense is good enough, the skill positions are talented, and the ST's are excellent. Re-inserting Urbik was a good, albeit late, start, but they need for the RG position to improve because a running game will very helpful.

Right there with you. There is no good reason why Orton can't continue to play here, and play well, for 5 or more years. And it would allow the Bills to be much better in the short term (obviously) as well as the long term in that they won't be forced to overdraft a QB to anoint.

The ever-urgent need to fill the title of "franchise guy" is a trap that franchises continually fall into... if you can get an Andrew Luck, fine. But do the SB rings sported by Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, & Mark Rypien have less luster?

Orton is who I hoped he was, and more. I have zero issues with having him lead the Bills huddle for the foreseeable future.

His mobility is that of Peyton Manning

This may be true, but like Manning, he does not take many hits because he knows where he wants to go with the ball and gets rid of it quickly, usually in about 3 seconds. Or are you saying you really need a guy who is athletic and can scramble so he can hold the ball longer? And make bad decisions after the passing windows have all closed?

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

This may be true, but like Manning, he does not take many hits because he knows where he wants to go with the ball and gets rid of it quickly, usually in about 3 seconds. Or are you saying you really need a guy who is athletic and can scramble so he can hold the ball longer? And make bad decisions after the passing windows have all closed?

The issue is he doesn't get it out as quickly as Manning. He does hold the ball a little too long at times behind a not very good line and that can cost you, especially as he has a tendency to fumble when sacked and because for example the sack against the Jets that takes us out of field goal range in a tight game against a good team can really hurt you.

My take on Orton is that he is fighting not only to get us to the play-offs but to be the anointed starter next season. If he continues to play as he has between now and the end of the season I think you give him a new deal with low end starter money for 2015 and 2016 and you roll with the intention of drafting a Quarterback in 2016 and sitting that guy for a year behind Kyle Orton, unless you really genuinely think that EJ Manuel has made massive strides whilst sitting. If, however, Orton's play tails off between now and the end of the season a la Fitz in 2011 then I think you bring competition in at camp from whatever the free agent market offers you whether that be Sam Bradford or somebody else.

So my answer to the question is that Orton could be the short-medium term answer... but he hasn't done enough to prove that he definitely IS at this stage. Just keep proving it on Sunday's and I will buy in.

Or Brad Johnson with the Bucs or Trent Dilfer with the Ravens...

I didn't know the Bills had a historically great defense.

Right there with you. There is no good reason why Orton can't continue to play here, and play well, for 5 or more years. And it would allow the Bills to be much better in the short term (obviously) as well as the long term in that they won't be forced to overdraft a QB to anoint.

The ever-urgent need to fill the title of "franchise guy" is a trap that franchises continually fall into... if you can get an Andrew Luck, fine. But do the SB rings sported by Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, & Mark Rypien have less luster?

Orton is who I hoped he was, and more. I have zero issues with having him lead the Bills huddle for the foreseeable future.

I've seen Orton have 0 awareness on several plays each game he played that end with either a fumble or near fumble.

I'm another who has joined this thread late, and I was spurred to do so by Sullivan's column in TBN this morning. One quote stood out in my mind: "The stakes will be the same as when Marrone benched Manuel: A team with playoff aspirations and a top defense can’t afford to wait for a young quarterback to develop. When you have players like Kyle and Mario Williams at the top of their games, you go for it.". That crystallized it for me. The Bills DO have a top defense. Weirdly enough, it's going to be even better next year with Kiko's return. Let's take advantage of it. Sign Orton up for three years and really groom a replacement QB for once, rather than looking for the next bolt from the blue at that position.

I'm another who has joined this thread late, and I was spurred to do so by Sullivan's column in TBN this morning. One quote stood out in my mind: "The stakes will be the same as when Marrone benched Manuel: A team with playoff aspirations and a top defense can’t afford to wait for a young quarterback to develop. When you have players like Kyle and Mario Williams at the top of their games, you go for it.". That crystallized it for me. The Bills DO have a top defense. Weirdly enough, it's going to be even better next year with Kiko's return. Let's take advantage of it. Sign Orton up for three years and really groom a replacement QB for once, rather than looking for the next bolt from the blue at that position.

I was of the opinion at the start of the season that EJ gets the entire season. But with a top defense and ST's, excellent skill position players, and a bad OL and OC (the Texans game told me all I needed to know), I think going with the veteran QB was/is the smart thing to do. If the OL improves (re-inserting Urbik was a good, albeit late, start), the team should be able to make the playoffs.

Considering he has one month with the team, beat the Lions, made all the throws,made some great adjustments ,is still a little rusty, why do you feel that Kyle Orton is NOT the long term answer in Buffalo? Just curious...

Isn't it necessary for Kyle Orton to look really bad for an extended period BEFORE we write him off ??

Yes,yes, we need to see more but why rule him out now ? I see lots of threads that say he is a short term fix AND we need to draft another quarterback........Why ?

What's in Kyle Ortons game makes him a short term fix only ?

Its very possible that he could be Buffalo's QB for the next 5 or 6 years .

We may be rebuilding this team by then....... :flirt:

--

I can't see why not. We don't need a media star like most markets, we need a winning QB. I think he can be that.

Orton can easily play 3-4 more seasons, possibly more. Why not enjoy that luxury and take our time scouting our next QB? We drafted EJ because we felt we had to. Turns out it was the worst QB class in a decade. Let's not rush that decision ever again. I don't care if a QB we draft sits 3 seasons.

Orton is signed through next year and we drafted 3 OL this year.

Why do you see Hairston as starting LT? Move a well established Glenn for a guy who has done nothing in his career so far.

Orton is signed through next year and we drafted 3 OL this year.

Why do you see Hairston as starting LT? Move a well established Glenn for a guy who has done nothing in his career so far.

Not necessarily...he has a player option for next year. If he continues at his current pace he is going to opt out and the Bills will need to pay him like a starter to keep him or another team will.

Orton can easily play 3-4 more seasons, possibly more. Why not enjoy that luxury and take our time scouting our next QB? We drafted EJ because we felt we had to. Turns out it was the worst QB class in a decade. Let's not rush that decision ever again. I don't care if a QB we draft sits 3 seasons.

THis.......I am really scratching my head at people wanting to go QB in the SECOND round and hope for the best........yet denounce the drafting of EJ Manuel who has a ton of talent that hasnt translated to the field in a terrible QB class......

Do you realize what you are setting yourself up for? No we need to go BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER at that pick.....which will most likely be a OL or TE which is where the good players at that position starting falling off the board.......

We need to learn our lesson in this area......we have a guy in Orton who can fill that position for at least next year......if we have a pocket passer lets solidify the pocket