Watkins trade revisited

Watkins trade revisited   

396 members have voted

1. 1. With what we know now would you make the same trade for Watkins?

• Yes, he's worth it
    • No, I would rather the pick

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would do it again in a heart beat, and that's totally independent of what happens this year. He's a stud, and a guy that you can't get every year...maybe not even once every 3 years.

Put a consistent NFL starting QB behind center and he'll put up ridiculous numbers. I'm very confident that this team will go to lengths to do so as well; whether it's Bradford next year (as I hope) or some other option.

I would do it again in a heart beat, and that's totally independent of what happens this year. He's a stud, and a guy that you can't get every year...maybe not even once every 3 years.

Put a consistent NFL starting QB behind center and he'll put up ridiculous numbers. I'm very confident that this team will go to lengths to do so as well; whether it's Bradford next year (as I hope) or some other option.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. He's not a guy that is going to be kinda good (like a Crabtree type). IMO, he is going to be in that small elite group and fairly soon.

So Sammy was instrumental in a win in the Miami game and Detroit. So as a rookie I'd say he has a 2 game Win over replacement out of 5 games.

I don't think Eric Ebron gives you the same record.

So basically the trade is a no brainer at this point in time. You trade a future first for atleast 2 wins in a playoff run all day every day . . . and the beat is yet to come.

Edited by Why So Serious?

All I can say (again and again) is look at how aj green effects the bengals.... Find an ok qb and were a playoff contender. Find a good one and who knows

Yes! This flies in the face of the mantra getting sammy was betting the farm in Manuel.

Why can't it work for orton too?

Awesome WRs make QBs better. I alway thought the key with fitz was getting bigger targets who wouldn't need perfectly thrown balls.

Let Brady and manning have the average WRs. They have the accuracy to deal with it.

So Sammy was instrumental in a win in the Miami game and Detroit. So as a rookie I'd say he has a 2 game Win over replacement out of 5 games.

I don't think Eric Ebron gives you the same record.

So basically the trade is a no brainer at this point in time. You trade a future first for atleast 2 wins in a playoff run all day every day . . . and the beat is yet to come.

The funny thing is, the more games Sammy causes the Bills to win, the more he decreases the amount of the compensation they had to spend in order to acquire him. A double-bonus.

I did not answer the poll given the way it was phrased. I am very happy that he is on our team. I thought that he was worth moving up to get.

I just think that he could have been had for less than we gave up given what the Dolphins traded to move up more spots and to a higher pick the previous year. Farmer out negotiated Whaley in my opinion. The market was set and we should have not blinked first. I even seem recalling reading how Farmer put the Bills on hold and the Bills thought they might lose Sammy. That is the oldest trick in the book.

In the end, I am glad that Sammy is on the team. We should not hold it against him how much we gave up. I will feel A LOT better about what we gave up if the pick ends up being in the bottom half of the first round.

I hate trading up in the draft. I probably would have just stayed there and hoped Evans fell or picked Ebron. That said, yesterday, he showed he was a special talent. That pass from Orton had pick 6 all over it and he made an unbelievable catch to help us win a game.

It's such a risky trade but he can be one of the best wrs in the NFL.

I don't get the Bradford love. What has he really proven so far? He also has struggled with injuries since college. Way too risky for the amount he will cost IMO.

The funny thing is, the more games Sammy causes the Bills to win, the more he decreases the amount of the compensation they had to spend in order to acquire him. A double-bonus.

True. Most of the detractors of the trade up were negative on it because they saw the Bills addressing the wrong problem. And not because of any issues with Watkins' ability and potential to star at the pro level. They expected the Bills to finish in the bottom third of the league because they didn't see Manuel as a viable option at QB. Getting an elite receiver would not solve the problem with production from the QB position. The move to Orton, barring any surprises, has solved that problem for at least this season. Because of the playoff drought some were down on the Bills in general.

If the pick the Bills gave up in 2015 turns out to be in the 20 to 22 range that might alter the thinking somewhat.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

I don't get the Bradford love. What has he really proven so far? He also has struggled with injuries since college. Way too risky for the amount he will cost IMO.

He's good enough to play winning football IMO.

I won't get too much into it in this thread, since there was a huge thread on him, but there's a very thorough All-22 posted of him in that thread if you want to check it out.

There's a lot to like.

I think this trade is looking better all the time. It is obviously a high price to pay, but I think Watkins is showing he is a unique talent. Moving up to take him will pay dividends for the Bills for a long time.