Flash to Marrone: Spller up the middle dosen't work

rcatty

I think you can fault both Spiller and the play-calling.

If they wanted to establish a power running game, CJ isn't the guy to use up the middle. At the same time, CJ dances too much looking for a huge hole and gets wrapped up too easily for little or no gain. Hackett needs to call better plays - swing passes, screens, etc. so that Spiller can have some room. He can cause damage in the open field, but the play-calling hasn't been getting him there.

I can guarantee that there are several coaching staffs in the NFL that could properly utilize Spiller's talent. Yes he is not a good power runner, but there are plays for him to make if it can just be schemed properly.

It's a joke. Nate Hackett isn't a NFL OC. I get mad when I think about what Sean Payton or Chip Kelly could do with Spiller. We are wasting him.

Yeah. Just need to get spiller in space. Better blockers. A better QB. A better oc. Better play calls. You can't hinder him by splitting carries. And you most make sure he's healthy. Oh, and you must play on a full moon on Friday the 13th so that he can turn into a wolf.

Last year I thought I saw an article explaining the up the gun run on first down....something about getting 3 yards sets up a good situation for the rest of the series........

2 problems we have with this

- Hackett is extremely predictable.....everyone know that he is gonna run up the middle on 1st down

and

- Spiller is getting like a YARD on first down......like EVERY time. He absolutely is not the back for that play.

The whole not using Boobie thing is just bizarre in the only game we let him run he breaks off a huge run to help us win....since then....nothing

Sounds like we need to find a back and get an interior line who can actually run the game plan.

Wait, I'm sorry. We need to "get him in space." Yes, yes, that's it! Get him in space. That should be easy and it sounds kinda insider-ish. Get him in space. That's the solution that's right in front of the coaching staff's face. Everyone on a message board knows it. How come they don't? Get him in space.

Edited by The Big Cat

I can guarantee that there are several coaching staffs in the NFL that could properly utilize Spiller's talent. Yes he is not a good power runner, but there are plays for him to make if it can just be schemed properly.

I agree. Chan Gailey was one of them. He was averaging like 7 yards per touch. All people on this board did was complain saying, "HE'S AVERAGING 7 YARDS PER TOUCH. GIVE HIM THE BALL MORE!!!!"

Little did they know that he was getting the 7 yards per touch because of his limited touches and how he was being used when he did get touches. I say let Fred and Bryce Brown (yes put him in the 53 man roster, find someone to eliminate), run between the tackles. Use Spiller in unique ways.

I agree. Chan Gailey was one of them. He was averaging like 7 yards per touch. All people on this board did was complain saying, "HE'S AVERAGING 7 YARDS PER TOUCH. GIVE HIM THE BALL MORE!!!!"

Little did they know that he was getting the 7 yards per touch because of his limited touches and how he was being used when he did get touches. I say let Fred and Bryce Brown (yes put him in the 53 man roster, find someone to eliminate), run between the tackles. Use Spiller in unique ways.

Please Hackett/Marrone... please

Sounds like we need to find a back and get an interior line who can actually run the game plan.

Wait, I'm sorry. We need to "get him in space." Yes, yes, that's it! Get him in space. That should be easy and it sounds kinda insider-ish. Get him in space. That's the solution that's right in front of the coaching staff's face. Everyone on a message board knows it. How come they don't? Get him in space.

If Spiller doesn't fit the gameplan then they should trade him and play Bryce Brown. Forcing a player into a style of play he's not suited for is a waste of everyone's time.

If Spiller doesn't fit the gameplan, then you got a dumb gameplan.

Well said. Any good offensive mind would have figured out how to use him. IT's funny how people are to think that maybe Hackett isn't part of the problem. Did I miss the part where Syracuse had a creative and highly productive offense? Our offense is painfully conservative and predictable. It's dink and dunk central.

Well said. Any good offensive mind would have figured out how to use him. IT's funny how people are to think that maybe Hackett isn't part of the problem. Did I miss the part where Syracuse had a creative and highly productive offense? Our offense is painfully conservative and predictable. It's dink and dunk central.

CJ Spiller could very well be one of the top five big play offensive skill players in the league - certainly in the top ten - if utilized properly. This is not an issue of potential. This is not an issue of Spiller having a limited skill set. When the interior of the offensive line is the weakest part of the offensive unit and the primary use of Spiller is to run him between the tackles...then you have to say this might just be an issue of offensive play calling. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

He's awful at seeing blocks develop. Can't seem to get small and slide through a crease. Too much stop and go allows defenders to close in. But I'd love to see him and Sammy both used on the jet sweep. The misdirection could open up a lot if calls for this offense.

If Spiller doesn't fit the gameplan, then you got a dumb gameplan.

Yet, by several measures, in Detroit, Miami, San Diego and Houston, we've faced four of the best defenses in the NFL and have, on at least four occasions, counting the Houston game, put together a winning offensive game plan.

So, please. Let's not equate "good" game plan with the game plan you think they should be running.

Yet, by several measures, in Detroit, Miami, San Diego and Houston, we've faced four of the best defenses in the NFL and have, on at least four occasions, counting the Houston game, put together a winning offensive game plan.

So, please. Let's not equate "good" game plan with the game plan you think they should be running.

You honestly believe our coaching staff is getting the most out of our talent? Because I saw Gailey get a lot better production out of far less talent.

You honestly believe our coaching staff is getting the most out of our talent? Because I saw Gailey get a lot better production out of far less talent.

our offense that was consistently ranked in the mod to late 20s?

Or are you confusing offense with a useless running genwhen your already down by multiple scores and the defense is giving you the run game?

I saw Gailey get a lot better production out of far less talent.

Specifically what production are you referring to?

Under Gailey, the Bills ranked 28th, 14th and 21st in points...with an historically bad defense.

Also, the sudden-fondness for Gailey's offense has been something I've been criticizing for last year. There's some serious revisionist history going on whenever fans gush about how great Gailey's offense was and how much everyone loved it.

It wasn't and they didn't.

our offense that was consistently ranked in the mod to late 20s?

Or are you confusing offense with a useless running genwhen your already down by multiple scores and the defense is giving you the run game?

In 2012, we scored 28 or more points 7 times. Since Marrone was hired, we accomplished that twice. We had far less talent in 2012 on both sides of the ball.

Dear Defenses,

Our starting running back can't run between the tackles so there's no need to bother defending anything between the numbers. Our backup, however, isn't allergic to contact and can actually see holes that are NFL-sized and then get through them on a regular basis. So when he's in the game: LOOK THE !@#$ OUT!

Sincerely,

The Buffalo BILLS

I absolutely think Hackett is part of the problem.....

but now it really comes down to.....I want the team to win....what is the best right out of two wrongs. This year it is a back that can do what Hackett is asking........because the OC isnt going anywhere this year.

Specifically what production are you referring to?

Under Gailey, the Bills ranked 28th, 14th and 21st in points...with an historically bad defense.

Also, the sudden-fondness for Gailey's offense has been something I've been criticizing for last year. There's some serious revisionist history going on whenever fans gush about how great Gailey's offense was and how much everyone loved it.

It wasn't and they didn't.

You just made a great point for me. We had a historically bad defense. That hurts your offense. We have a great D now that forced punts and turnovers. It should only benefit the offense. We have 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, and former double digit td guy at receiver. We used to have a group of undrafted guys (SJ, Nelson, Jones). Our oline has regressed despite adding free agents and high picks. And Spiller has went to a guy who averaged 6 ypc and 10 yards/ catch to completely average.

Our offense has regressed since the coaching switch.

I absolutely think Hackett is part of the problem.....

but now it really comes down to.....I want the team to win....what is the best right out of two wrongs. This year it is a back that can do what Hackett is asking........because the OC isnt going anywhere this year.

Yeah, firing him at this point is stupid. But unless there is more improvement, I'd want someone new. Norv Turner was on the market. I would take him in a second.

You just made a great point for me. We had a historically bad defense. That hurts your offense. We have a great D now that forced punts and turnovers. It should only benefit the offense. We have 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, and former double digit td guy at receiver. We used to have a group of undrafted guys (SJ, Nelson, Jones). Our oline has regressed despite adding free agents and high picks. And Spiller has went to a guy who averaged 6 ypc and 10 yards/ catch to completely average.

Our offense has regressed since the coaching switch.

Yeah, firing him at this point is stupid. But unless there is more improvement, I'd want someone new. Norv Turner was on the market. I would take him in a second.

What's more common? A score of 35-3? Or a score of 35-20?

What's more common? A score of 35-3? Or a score of 17-13?

I'll wait for you to get back to me.

There are two things about the Bills Offense in the 21 games under Hackett/Marrone that are glaringly obvious to me...

The first thing is that running Spiller between the Tackles almost always results in a negative one, to one yard gain...You can pretty much take that to the bank...

The second is that this Offense has an absolute ton of plays designed to throw the ball within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage...So much so that teams are not only packing us in, but are obviously being coached to watch for the short pass first...The pass to Woods in the Texans game right before the half was a perfect example...Yesterday there was a short pass to Freddie on a 2nd down and three defenders were all over him...We threw a FB pass to the flat that had two Detroit Defenders on it in a heartbeat...This is not normal in the NFL unless teams are showing zero respect for your down-the-field passing game...That's why we have WR's so open on deeper routes when we actually call them...I get that Hackett and Marrone are concerned about the O-Line's ability to keep the pocket clean for a 5 and 7 step drop...But it's a pick-your-poison type of thing...The short passing game outside of a couple to Freddie where he just wills it to a good gain is basically not working...So Hackett and Marrone better adjust quick...Because to my untrained eye it looks like Defenses are completely aware of the fact that most of the Bills passing game is quick hits and tosses to the backs...Let's see if the Bills Offensive brain trust can come up with something to keep Defenses more honest... B-)

What's more common? A score of 35-3? Or a score of 35-20?

What's more common? A score of 35-3? Or a score of 17-13?

I'll wait for you to get back to me.

I must be totally missing your point because it seems like you are justify not scoring as many points. But 3rd down passes 4 yards short of the yard marker are great. :)

It's a joke. Nate Hackett isn't a NFL OC. I get mad when I think about what Sean Payton or Chip Kelly could do with Spiller. We are wasting him.

Chip Kelly is doing so well with McCoy.

Dear Defenses,

Our starting running back can't run between the tackles so there's no need to bother defending anything between the numbers. Our backup, however, isn't allergic to contact and can actually see holes that are NFL-sized and then get through them on a regular basis. So when he's in the game: LOOK THE !@#$ OUT!

Sincerely,

The Buffalo BILLS

DING DING DING.

Cee Jay can't carry Fred's jock, and he never could.

Edited by FireChan

The one thing none of us now is how good of a route runner Spiller is. If the coaches don't have faith in his route running outside of dumpoff outlet passes and the occasional screen, then they're not going to involve him much in the passing game. My recollection is that Gailey was good at getting him in space, but also that he didn't make plays when spread out as a receiver.