Jimbo Fisher says "I told you so..."

YoloinOhio

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, NOBODY thought Manuel was going to be good -- except for the Bills front office. He was projected as a fourth- or fifth-round talent, but the Bills inexplicably reached for him. Analysts destroyed the Bills for selecting him because he was slow to read defenses, inaccurate, and inconsistent in college. He was, at best, a project QB who might be able to pay off in several years if he was able to improve upon those flaws, which he clearly has not done in Buffalo. At all. We all wanted EJ to succeed because he seems like a standup, likable guy, but the scouting report was never promising.

Unfortunately, EJ is a sunk cost. Now we have to move on.

In all fairness, he was the best QB in that draft class. He needs time to grow. Look at Stanford for example. Took him three years to finally start putting it together.

But I don't trust him. He wants his guys to go as high as possible for recruiting purposes

@el_budget: Wow RT @MusikFan4Life: Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher didn't believe that EJ Manuel had the tools to be a starter in the NFL

@AdamSchefter: Jimbo Fisher was glowing about EJ Manuel as a man, but very open and honest with teams about how limited he felt Manuel was as an NFL QB.

@MichaelDavSmith: Via @AdamSchefter, Jimbo Fisher told NFL teams EJ Manuel is a great guy but limited as a QB. I imagine he'll say the reverse about Jameis.

@RyanTalbotBills: Per @ESPN, Jimbo Fisher told teams in pre-draft interviews that he didn't think EJ Manuel could be a starting QB in the NFL.

Yea but NIXnCO are smarter than everyone else.

It's piling on now and IMO a cya move by JF. He has another QB coming out this year and wants to make himself look like he knows what he's doing, especially with Ponders situation as well. But I don't believe for a minute he told he didn't have the ability to be a starter. He might have believed that, but these guys want as many 1st rounders as possible. And it's a slap in the face to EJ, who is doing him a favor by taking Time to mentor Jameis.

He's saying he told teams this before the draft. It should be easy to disprove if he is lying now.

In all fairness, he was the best QB in that draft class. He needs time to grow. Look at Stanford for example. Took him three years to finally start putting it together.

It is not clear at all that EJ was the best QB in that draft class, and even if he were/is, at best that is saying someone is the tallest midget. It was a terrible draft for QBs and definitely not the one to waste a first round pick on a QB. Another huge Nix blunder.

It is not clear at all that EJ was the best QB in that draft class, and even if he were/is, at best that is saying someone is the tallest midget. It was a terrible draft for QBs and definitely not the one to waste a first round pick on a QB. Another huge Nix blunder.

'

This draft class isn't looking much better.

Look, NOBODY thought Manuel was going to be good -- except for the Bills front office. He was projected as a fourth- or fifth-round talent, but the Bills inexplicably reached for him. Analysts destroyed the Bills for selecting him because he was slow to read defenses, inaccurate, and inconsistent in college. He was, at best, a project QB who might be able to pay off in several years if he was able to improve upon those flaws, which he clearly has not done in Buffalo. At all. We all wanted EJ to succeed because he seems like a standup, likable guy, but the scouting report was never promising.

Unfortunately, EJ is a sunk cost. Now we have to move on.

Not true, I thought he'd be a great QB given time to mature his play.

Those celebtating the demise of EJ's NFL career are guily of premature joculation. He's on a 5 year rookie deal where his base salary will make it easy to keep him around. He will need circumstances (injury, ex.) or merit (winning a training camp battle, ex.) to get the job back but both of those scenarios are not out of the realm of possibility. I hope if he does, he plays well enough to keep the job.

Jimbo Fisher denies expressing doubts about EJ Manuel: http://profootballta...bout-ej-manuel/

Fisher now says he never said that.

“I’m not sure why ESPN’s Adam Schefter would not reach out to me to get my thoughts on EJ Manuel or check the accuracy of his report,” Fisher said in a statement released by Florida State. “I never made those comments about EJ. I spoke to Buddy Nix of the Buffalo Bills and told him EJ is an outstanding young man and player. He was the face of our organization and would be a great one for them. I did not speak to any other teams, general managers or head coaches about EJ.

A head coach saying that he spoke to no teams about his blue-chip level QB (as thought at the time) besides the Bills sounds utterly, completely, and laughably implausible.

Unless no other team inquired about EJ :):bag:

It's pretty safe to say that Whaley got this before he drafted him. I like Whaley...he's made some good moves. But what an idiot. Just because the guy has the measurables doesn't mean he'll make it in the NFL especially as a 1st rd QB.

A head coach saying that he spoke to no teams about his blue-chip level QB (as thought at the time) besides the Bills sounds utterly, completely, and laughably implausible.

And in my mind, equally laughable as him telling any team that his protege is not likely to succeed at the NFL level. Color me clueless about college football, but I find this quite difficult to believe.

Why people feel the need to continue kicking this kid when he is down is beyond me.

I agree. EJ is righfully benched, people need to leave it at that.

But I don't trust him. He wants his guys to go as high as possible for recruiting purposes

@MichaelDavSmith: Via @AdamSchefter, Jimbo Fisher told NFL teams EJ Manuel is a great guy but limited as a QB. I imagine he'll say the reverse about Jameis.

Jameis is limited as a human being, but a great QB.

i mostly meant last season. And if he was that horrible they wouldn't have needed film to beat him. IMO. He did win 6 games.

When will people stop with this 'QB as Starting Pitcher' analysis? To say Manuel won 6 games is misleading and a bit ridiculous given his minor contributions in a few of them. He may have been the starting QB on a team that won 6 times, but that is giving him way too much credit.

A bit surprised that Jimbo would say that about one of his own guys, but it isn't anything that many of us weren't saying ourselves. I never thought Manuel was going to last until the 5th or 6th round, but 3rd would have been the place to take him. Missing on a 3rd is bad, but not fatal. Missing too often with your #1's will kill you for years.

And in my mind, equally laughable as him telling any team that his protege is not likely to succeed at the NFL level. Color me clueless about college football, but I find this quite difficult to believe.

I agree. EJ is righfully benched, people need to leave it at that.

I remember thinking Pete Carroll was a jerk when he gave an interview redraft saying Sanchez needed to go back to USC- but I guess if you aren't staying long term you can make comments like that to keep top talent an extra year or two and jump ship without recruiting repercussions