Jimbo Fisher says "I told you so..."

YoloinOhio

But I don't trust him. He wants his guys to go as high as possible for recruiting purposes

@el_budget: Wow RT @MusikFan4Life: Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher didn't believe that EJ Manuel had the tools to be a starter in the NFL

@AdamSchefter: Jimbo Fisher was glowing about EJ Manuel as a man, but very open and honest with teams about how limited he felt Manuel was as an NFL QB.

@MichaelDavSmith: Via @AdamSchefter, Jimbo Fisher told NFL teams EJ Manuel is a great guy but limited as a QB. I imagine he'll say the reverse about Jameis.

@RyanTalbotBills: Per @ESPN, Jimbo Fisher told teams in pre-draft interviews that he didn't think EJ Manuel could be a starting QB in the NFL.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, NOBODY thought Manuel was going to be good -- except for the Bills front office. He was projected as a fourth- or fifth-round talent, but the Bills inexplicably reached for him. Analysts destroyed the Bills for selecting him because he was slow to read defenses, inaccurate, and inconsistent in college. He was, at best, a project QB who might be able to pay off in several years if he was able to improve upon those flaws, which he clearly has not done in Buffalo. At all. We all wanted EJ to succeed because he seems like a standup, likable guy, but the scouting report was never promising.

Unfortunately, EJ is a sunk cost. Now we have to move on.

EJ plays timid/afraid/clueless. Watching him @ the Stadium has been painful ever since a few games worth of film were available for defensive coaches.

i mostly meant last season. And if he was that horrible they wouldn't have needed film to beat him. IMO. He did win 6 games.

He overachieved with the Bills then, at least in his first 12 games. Jmo.

Not really.

There are a hundred guys that can play at that sub par level that EJ plays at. That's why it's so hard to be an NFL QB. There are tons of guys coming up every year that are ALMOST good enough, but not good enough. That's EJ. It's not like he went above and beyond what dozens of other QB prospects could have done in any way.

EJ's failure was complete and to suggest overachieving or to try to put a positive spin on it is lunacy.

Not really.

There are a hundred guys that can play at that sub par level that EJ plays at. That's why it's so hard to be an NFL QB. There are tons of guys coming up every year that are ALMOST good enough, but not good enough. That's EJ. It's not like he went above and beyond what dozens of other QB prospects could have done in any way.

EJ's failure was complete and to suggest overachieving or to try to put a positive spin on it is lunacy.

thanks for calling me a lunatic. But there were also games in which he was not sub-par last year. So IMO he overachieved if he was never good enough to start a game.

thanks for calling me a lunatic. But there were also games in which he was not sub-par last year. So IMO he overachieved if he was never good enough to start a game.

Call it selective amnesia when people only "remember" whatever fits their narrative. EJ was both good and bad just as most young NFL QBs are.

Look, NOBODY thought Manuel was going to be good -- except for the Bills front office. He was projected as a fourth- or fifth-round talent, but the Bills inexplicably reached for him. Analysts destroyed the Bills for selecting him because he was slow to read defenses, inaccurate, and inconsistent in college. He was, at best, a project QB who might be able to pay off in several years if he was able to improve upon those flaws, which he clearly has not done in Buffalo. At all. We all wanted EJ to succeed because he seems like a standup, likable guy, but the scouting report was never promising.

Unfortunately, EJ is a sunk cost. Now we have to move on.

Yep, Probably in 2 more friggin years though.

there are a lot of leaking media reports coming out on a Sunday morning...hmmm

Most scouting services said he had huge upside but had to be developed. Most of them said he was a 2nd round pick because he would struggle early in his career if pushed on the field.

I think the kid has played better than expected overall and has made strides overall. We'll find out today just how much he was "holding this team back".

Go Bills

Another wasted pick by douchebag Buddy Nix! Same situation as it was with Fitz, when Nix and Dick Jauron kept forcing on us that he was good enough! Stevie Wonder can see that neither can play. Thanks again, Buddy!

Really? what are you, a child?

It's piling on now and IMO a cya move by JF. He has another QB coming out this year and wants to make himself look like he knows what he's doing, especially with Ponders situation as well. But I don't believe for a minute he told he didn't have the ability to be a starter. He might have believed that, but these guys want as many 1st rounders as possible. And it's a slap in the face to EJ, who is doing him a favor by taking Time to mentor Jameis.

Edited by YoloinOhio

It doesn't seem that Jimbo Fisher said Manuel was not good enough to start a game, just that he was very limited as an NFl prospect. Sounds like Fisher though of EJ as a career backup type. Those players start on occasion and may be called on to actually win a game. That sounds like what we've seen from EJ , so if his apparent limitations remain he's likely that type of player. Doesn't mean he overachieved, it's more like he's exactly what most "experts" thought he was.

I agree with the overachiever analysis. He wasn't a stellar college QB and performed better than a number of Heisman winners and candidates did in their first 14 games in the league. Because of my respect for him as a person, I hope that he can sit back and evaluate the game from the sideline and see the things that he can do to become a viable NFL qb. Because of what my eyes have told me through the majority of his 14 games, odds are not good. He throws behind receivers far too often, telling me that his brain cannot keep up with the speed of the game. Inaccuracy can be caused by a number of factors. I believe EJ's is born of a case of "slow eyes". Jimbo should have been listened to.

Really? what are you, a child?

Child? What did I say that wasn't spot on correct? The decisions made by Nix and Jauron, along with their "be calm, all is well" demeanor directly led to why we are STILL struggling, especially at QB! If that thought process is "childish," I'll go suck my thumb!

It doesn't seem that Jimbo Fisher said Manuel was not good enough to start a game, just that he was very limited as an NFl prospect. Sounds like Fisher though of EJ as a career backup type. Those players start on occasion and may be called on to actually win a game. That sounds like what we've seen from EJ , so if his apparent limitations remain he's likely that type of player. Doesn't mean he overachieved, it's more like he's exactly what most "experts" thought he was.

the Bills drafted him as a project with the intention if developing him into a starter. He had to start sooner and the development had to be accelerated. He's still a project. Doesn't mean he can never be a starter. It is still TBD.

What do coaches say about the QBs who are taken in the 3rd rd and later? That they will be definitely be good enough to be starters in the NFL? No, probably that they have limitations. If they didn't they would go higher. That doesn't mean that some of those guys don't become starters.