EJ benched, Orton to start.

JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're benching EJ, not cutting him. Remember at the start of 2013, the plan was to sit Manuel and have Kolb play while EJ learned. Kolb got hurt and Manuel looked decent so they put him in. He played OK for a rookie.

But he's playing worse than ever now. The Bills want to win, and they really do have the talent to do so. Sure they have weak areas, like every other team has weak areas, but the future is now, as George Allen used to say. (If you don't know who George Allen was, you missed a lot of good football in the day.)

So you've got Fred Jackson pushing himself to play hard every play. But he's 33 and is going to break down eventually. Are you going to tell Fred Jackson to suck it up, keeping being an overachieving hero and burn out and when EJ finally figures things out we'll send a photo of the Bills in the playoffs to wherever he's living at that time? No, you owe it to Fred Jackson to take your best chance at winning.

Let EJ sit and watch and learn. This year, maybe next year, like Aaron Rogers did behind Bret Favre in Green Bay. EJ has real talent and skills, but he's in over his head, and he's wasting a year of the careers of his teammates.

My first reaction was pleasure and surprise. Now im just growing more disgusted by the minute thinking long term.

I think that EJ hasn't played poorly for a 'rookie' overall. But yesterday he looked lost. It wasn't just that he was inaccurate, the expression on his face seemed to say he didn't expect to win.

Sitting on the bench watching a more experience QB play might just be the best thing for EJ.

In the old days, rookie QBs always learned by warming up the pine and carrying the clipboard. Maybe EJ will benefit from some old fashioned pressure-free learning.

All we can do at this point is HOPE that Orton can be a competent game managing QB (and that the rest of the team is as good as most of us think it is). This coming game would be a tough one for any QB, much less one who has never started for his team, so I'm not expecting miracles on Sunday. As someone else said the Patriots and Jets games will be more telling. Too bad, I liked EJ and really wanted him to be successful. If Orton sucks after 3 games (or gets injured) we might yet see him again. For now, despite many saying it is unlikely - let's hope Orton can ride a reborn Buffalo beast to some wins!

Outside the Bills organization, who knows how Orton has looked in practice. I'm assuming he's been here long enough now to learn the offense. And I'm assuming the coaches have seen that he's beginning to run the offense better than EJ and that's why he's starting.

What I've seen of Orton in the past, he's a better QB than EJ is right now. Let's hope EJ continues to learn and earns the job back someday because he's become so much better.

I'm with you Dan! As far as I'm concerned that game was lost when we had a 10 pt lead late in the first half and the DEFENSE let Fitzpatrick drive his team down and score that TD.

I was really angry when that happened. We had them at 3rd and long twice on that drive and could not stop them. Then our db let their guy run past him for a bomb.

However, we had the chance to atone for that when we had the interception in the 3rd, and EJ threw the pick 6. Game set match at that point.

What this really is, is the team correcting a grave mistake from last season in hoping Kolb could stay healthy, and giving EJ the job by default.

Hopefully Orton buys them time to see if EJ can get his act together in a lower pressure setting. I don't think he's done yet but he needs this reset as much as the team does.

Doug Marrone, whose job is on the line, has decided to start a QB that had to be coaxed out of retirement with a Brink's truck about a month ago, a QB whom Marrone was so against signing that he went ballistic on his GM in front of his players.

Yep, we're 25% of the way through another Bills season.

Home sweet home.

It's all about Maronne's job. Manuel is certainly not going to keep it for him.

I dont think its ALL about that ! Just yet anyways.

But that should be considered .

I do think its the right thing do and Not a move of desperation or panic. Extremely pissed off ? yea maybe a bit that , EJ coudn't just step up and take the game over

But it's a move that had to be made. Previous Bills' administrations would have hesitated or hemmed-and-hawed. This move is the right thing to do and sends the right message to the vets on Defense and the WRs.

Really? Gailey/Nix dumped Trent after two games for Fitz...

As a huge EJ supporter, I'll admit that after this past game I told my wife that I was "done with him". It's the right move for now and I think that EJ will be the starter again at some point this season. I think he was thrown in there too early and we really didn't have another option last year. We've all worked with ambitious people who nod their head and say "Yeah, I know. I know, I get it", when they don't get it. That's EJ right now, he needs whatever fire this is going to build to fuel a legitimate shot at being a successful quarterback.

As a huge EJ supporter, I'll admit that after this past game I told my wife that I was "done with him". It's the right move for now and I think that EJ will be the starter again at some point this season. I think he was thrown in there too early and we really didn't have another option last year. We've all worked with ambitious people who nod their head and say "Yeah, I know. I know, I get it", when they don't get it. That's EJ right now, he needs whatever fire this is going to build to fuel a legitimate shot at being a successful quarterback.

may i play the devils devil.

EJ will start when the O line lets Orton get killed . if they protect him Manuel wont see the field this year again .

Not how its done.

We can only hope this move is for the best. High risk low reward. But what options are there really. The WRs head hanging is too much to bear.

How to waste a QB in under a season for dummies:

1. Draft QB with loads of potential that needs work for a year.

2. Start him straight away.

3. Make him run so he gets injured.

4. Make him run again after he returns so he can reinjury himself.

5. Have him do offseason surgery.

6. Claim you are all in to win.

7. Bench your rookie QB after 4 games in the second season for a career total of 14 games.

You forgot... "Bench him after 4 ganes... when you're 2-2 and in first place in your division...

Doug Marrone, whose job is on the line, has decided to start a QB that had to be coaxed out of retirement with a Brink's truck about a month ago, a QB whom Marrone was so against signing that he went ballistic on his GM in front of his players.

Yep, we're 25% of the way through another Bills season.

Was there any confirmation for that being the cause rather than something Florio pulled out of his butt? It struck me as implausible at the time, and even more so now.

I'm just curious, mayeb I missed it, but was that the arguement back before the season? That Marrone didn't want Orton (I don't recall)? Because now, he's saying it was his decision to bench EJ for Orton (he made the decisison and told Whaley about it).

So, that all kinda doesn't add up.

This is one of those things that keeps being remembered incorrectly, thanks largely to CBS's initial ****ty job covering the story, and Saint Marrone gets unfairly criticized because of it. The argument actually happened before the Lions game, it's documented in a tweet, and was over Palmer. The rumor (never publicly confirmed) was Marrone wanted Orton (or at least a better option than Palmer).

https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/504302977629581312/photo/1

La Canfora's story ( http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24695455/buffalo-tension-boils-over-in-shouting-match-for-marrone-bills-officials ) ran over a week later -- after Orton was signed -- and that's when the argument came to the forefront of the conversation and has been forever misremembered ever since. yes, I used that word, deal with it

Marrone was arguing about the quality of QBs behind EJ, that's speculation but in context of the proper timeline of the story it makes the most sense.

(This wasn't aimed at any of the quoted above, just wanted to clarify something that keeps popping up)

I am thrilled. I actually like orton...not a great player but he can win with talent around him. Watch our receivers instantly improve and actually be a factor.

However, what i don't understand is how could the bills honestly believe ej was going to be good? Most fans knew the truth. Ej is timid and soft. He is trent in a bigger body. If the bills could give up on last year's number 16 overall pick after 4 games into his second season, why the hell didn't we draft another young guy as insurance in the 3rdish round when they were clearly so close to giving up on him?

It feels like they just crossed their fingers and hoped he would pan out to save all their jobs. I can't imagine a scenario where all the front office sat around and said that 100% this is the guy. He had question marks all over the place. The bills acted like they were committed to him by getting the flashy receiver and ignoring insurance until the very last second, but they clearly were not even the slightest bit committed to him to pull the plug before his 15th start. Why pretend to be?

Having said that, i am very happy because ej might be the softest player that i have ever watched in my entire life. After his 2nd injury last year, i was 100% sure that he would never be average. I'm glad they did it before the season was lost. It just makes them look so incompetent to go from being all in on him one month ago to throwing in the towel so quickly. They knew this was coming...most of us did so how could they not? Did anybody honestly think orton would never see the field?

Neither did.

They don't own the team yet.. Its still awaiting final approval from all the other owners, which will happen in early October.

Sorry. Next time I'll add some sort of joke emoticon.

Even still, I wouldn't doubt they might have some ears already in one bills drive.