EJ benched, Orton to start.

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Ultimately what it means is that the Bills don't have a QB.

Its the admission of that and moving on. Pretending this guy is going to change and magically improve in every facet of the game is delusional and will dig a deeper hole.

Edited by May Day 10

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am amazed by all the people that are happy about this. Ultimately what it means is that the Bills don't have a QB. It also means that the entire organization will get blown up. Some here will rejoice. Another GM, another coach, another QB search. Of course the next guys will be better or not. In the end it means this organization will not be competitive. Yet another rebuild.

What happens if the Bills win the AFC East? It's certainly an attainable goal this season.

I feel the same way. Even if there is debate as to whether Orton is a short term improvement I don't think anyone considers him a long term solution.

I think the question isn't "Can he win enough games for us" but rather "Can he not lose enough games for us".

Orton is 31 who knows maybe we can get 4-5 years out of him stranger things have happened .

I am amazed by all the people that are happy about this. Ultimately what it means is that the Bills don't have a QB. It also means that the entire organization will get blown up. Some here will rejoice. Another GM, another coach, another QB search. Of course the next guys will be better or not. In the end it means this organization will not be competitive. Yet another rebuild.

I don't know about "blown up". I'm not thrilled but average QB play with a stellar D and a strong run game can get you to the playoffs in a weak division, which is what the AFCE looks like right now.

Orton is 31 who knows maybe we can get 4-5 years out of him stranger things have happened .

I meant more on the sense that he's not a franchise QB

The funny thing is, if you play that last drive 10 times, EJ throws a TD to win the game on a couple of them. He's done it before. Then he is a hero and most people LOVE him in Buffalo.

I don't know, Kelly. I was so frustrated watching the entire game that while I'd have been thrilled with the win, I'd have been just as worried about the QB position. He's just not showing progression. I don't often yell at the TV screen while watching games and found myself doing so repeatedly -- "RUN! HIT THE OPEN RECEIVER! WHERE WAS THAT THROW!"

I'd just like to see what Orton can do with the Hackett game plan and these weapons. They really owe it to the rest of the team, because I think it was becoming obvious the players don't trust EJ right now.

Orton is under contract for next season as well, so yes, we do have a QB. This move

gives the Bills a real chance to win the division this year, which EJ was not going to be able to do. I see no downside in this at all. It was the right move at the right time.

Edited by xsoldier54

i fully believe this...this is mismanagement/bad luck with a veteran QB position

I don't hate EJ. The only way he could have made it is for him to be behind a solid veteran like the plan with Kolb, and take time to develop. I hope EJ shakes off how rattled he looked Sunday after his first three hits. He needed to get benched, and hopefully Orton wins us that Texans game. We wouldn't have won against the Chargers who are lighting it up this year with Orton, but games like the Texans would have been a win with Orton.

Why, because Orton would have picked up on the blitzing and pressure better than EJ, and would have made some of those wide open WR.

I still believe we'll probably lose to the Lions with all of their weapons, but Schwartz better have Graham in the whole game shadowing Megatron.

After watching the Pats game, I'll pick us at home with Orton.

I don't understand why this is getting spun with such negativity.

Sure, Orton isn't the greatest, but we know he can play football and throw it down field. I don't think it speaks poorly to Marrone or Whaley, either. Their intention was to have Kolb be the starter last year, but that fell apart. They reached out to Orton early after his release, but Orton wanted to wait either for more money, or a guaranteed starting job somewhere, and when nothing panned out, he took the best offer, which was ours.

Was it the ideal situation? Hell no, but also, I don't think it's nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. We may have picked the wrong QB in the draft (that happens), but lets not act like they haven't been trying to get a veteran QB in here as well. Kolb last year, Orton this year... could do much worse.

Everyone clucking their tongues at the Bills should make a mental note about what QBs were available in the last two years both in the draft and free agency.

In 2013 the Bills did what we have wanted them to do in every draft: pick a "franchise" QB in round one. And according to the draft experts here there were at least four available between EJ, Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib and Matt Barkley. Oh, EJ was the wrong pick? Which was the right one then?

Same with free agency. Tebow? McCown? Grossman? Face it, this was the wrong time to get a QB. Probably the best thing they could have done was keep Fitz and draft someone this year. But who's already proven? No one.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Everyone clucking their tongues at the Bills should make a mental note about what QBs were available in the last two years both in the draft and free agency.

In 2013 the Bills did what we have wanted them to do in every draft: pick a "franchise" QB in round one. And according to the draft experts here there were at least for available between EJ, Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib and Matt Barkley. Oh, EJ was the wrong pick? Which was the right one then?

Same with free agency. Tebow? McCown? Grossman? Face it, this was the wrong time to get a QB. Probably the best thing they could have done was keep Fitz and draft someone this year. But who's already proven? No one.

TBH Orton was probably the best QB to hit free agency since Manning, not that that is saying much.

One game, dude. One game...and he's already injured.

Based on the one game, and hindsight being 20/20, we should have drafted Bridgewater.

If Bridgewater stinks it up, then we made the right choice by not drafting him.

If he's a hall of famer in the making, we made the wrong choice.

Moving goalposts and all. :)

I remember many people wanting to make a run at Alex Smith when the 49ers were shopping him around, which another group here scoffed at. Alex Smith is a lot better than any of us wanted to give him credit for.

We could easily be the Chiefs right now.