EJ benched, Orton to start.

JÂy RÛßeÒ

EJ, like many young QBs, was rushed to start. If Kolb did not get hurt, he would have been the starter last year. That plan blew up when he got injured. EJ has been up and down. He will never be an elite QB but I thought he could be a solid starter. Last 2 games. He regressed big time. Hope his time watching from the side line and working on his mechanics that will salvage his career.

EJ had a 112 qb rating last preseason.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good god, the Bills are so mismanaged. You don't bench the QB when the offensive gameplan was so god awful. EJ Manuel did have a bad game, but so did the O-Line and the Receivers. Any JV play caller could see that the Bills should have run the ball much more. A young QB who by all accounts should not be carrying the team should have never thrown the 44 times when JJ Watt was living in the backfield and the running game was very effective but used only 23 times.

The Bills have had a history of ruining young QB's by pulling them in and out frequently, putting the QB in before he is ready to start, and giving horrifically bad gameplans that don't fit the strengths of the QB and other offensive personnel. In this all three apply. Let's hope that either they figure out everything and have success or that Nate Hackett at least is canned after the season.

EJ had a 112 qb rating last preseason.

The QB psyche is fragile in some. A demotion like this can ruin a guy's career. The talking heads on ESPN and NFL network have written him off and are talking about Orton as a stop gap until they draft another franchise QB of the future. Edited by Nitro

The QB psyche is fragile in some. A demotion like this can ruin a guy's career. The talking heads on ESPN and NFL network have written him off and are talking about Orton as a stop gap until they draft another franchise QB of the future.

And that's why I hate this move. It's Marrone trying to save his job. He's putting his own interests over the franchise's. I get it but barringb a playoff run, this is a bad one for the Bills.

We got the guy who lost starting jobs to Rex Grossman and Tim Tebow. Desperate move by a desperate coach.

Marrone isn't concerned about the long term future of this team. EJ had been bad but he at least is young. We are going to long for the days of Fitz. Stupid move.

Desperate organization I'd say.

And that's why I hate this move. It's Marrone trying to save his job. He's putting his own interests over the franchise's. I get it but barringb a playoff run, this is a bad one for the Bills.

Yeah, but honestly, that damage was done the moment they had to put him in as the starter last season.

This organization has been desperate for years. Absolutely desperate. Maybe the FO and staff didn't realize this coming in fresh to the org, but that's naive. Desperate teams make desperate moves. This team was never going to stand by EJ through the growing pains even if it would pay dividends later on. With that said, why make him the de facto #1 by signing an injury-riddled vet to keep the seat warm? That is the failure that all of these other failures stem from.

The best thing the Bills could have done for EJ's development was to make him force the issue with his play in practice, and to let him dip his toes in as opposed to having to dive without a life preserver. They botched that chance in 2013.

If EJ's psyche is so fragile that this series of events crushes his confidence to any lasting effect whatsoever, he was never going to be the franchise guy we wanted him to be. He will get more chances, probably several. How he plays when he gets his next chance or two or three is how his career will be defined. Look at Alex Smith.

If EJ's psyche is so fragile that this series of events crushes his confidence to any lasting effect whatsoever, he was never going to be the franchise guy we wanted him to be. He will get more chances, probably several. How he plays when he gets his next chance or two or three is how his career will be defined. Look at Alex Smith.

Bingo.

Good god, the Bills are so mismanaged. You don't bench the QB when the offensive gameplan was so god awful. EJ Manuel did have a bad game, but so did the O-Line and the Receivers. Any JV play caller could see that the Bills should have run the ball much more. A young QB who by all accounts should not be carrying the team should have never thrown the 44 times when JJ Watt was living in the backfield and the running game was very effective but used only 23 times.

The Bills have had a history of ruining young QB's by pulling them in and out frequently, putting the QB in before he is ready to start, and giving horrifically bad gameplans that don't fit the strengths of the QB and other offensive personnel. In this all three apply. Let's hope that either they figure out everything and have success or that Nate Hackett at least is canned after the season.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe EJ cant deliver the ball fast or well enough to run anything else ? What are EJ strengths if he cant make 7-10 yard throws consistently ? thats not being asked to carry the team thats being asked to be competent at your position

Ej has been working extensively with the playbook since the spring .and they practice not based on what everyone else likes but what EJ is comfortable with . They look at the weaknesses of the opposing team and put together a package of plays that can exploit the defense that EJ feels comfortable running .

You think EJ is that dejected after the game because the coach was calling crap plays or he got hit or someone dropped a pass or two ? hes dejected because he knows full well that hes running about as basic of an offense as they can make it and hes constantly missing throws he knows he should make .

Meanwhile you got Orton in practice ,in the film room,and on the sidelines calling out what the defense is running ,who will be open etc and everyone including EJ is really seeing just how far he has to go .

Ej is simply not ready

Overall, I agree. But to get bench for such an average guy like Orton? I just don't see the upside at all.

Overall, I agree. But to get bench for such an average guy like Orton? I just don't see the upside at all.

This move was in no way a "EJ is just bad so we bench him move." There were ten reasons all working together that it was made. The major one was we can win with just average quarterbacking. The game tonight is even more evidence that this may have been a smart move. Give Orton a start before he faces NE at home in two weeks. Another reason this move was made was because the AFC East is up for grabs. Last year they may not have done the same thing at the same juncture. They definitely wouldn't have done it with Tuel and Thad as the backups.

At least it's not a guy like Kelly Holcomb (?).

Holcomb has almost the same qb rating. http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXHXXHolcKe00.htm&t=0

I think Orton is better but is in a similar conversation.

This move was in no way a "EJ is just bad so we bench him move." There were ten reasons all working together that it was made. The major one was we can win with just average quarterbacking. The game tonight is even more evidence that this may have been a smart move. Give Orton a start before he faces NE at home in two weeks. Another reason this move was made was because the AFC East is up for grabs. Last year they may not have done the same thing at the same juncture. They definitely wouldn't have done it with Tuel and Thad as the backups.

Good post and you're right. I'm just sick of average Qbs.