J Byrd 2014

Kirby Jackson

This may have been a freak injury. But I know for a fact there was concern among NFL execs around the league that he was on the edge, physically, at the end of last season. This is now his second surgery in 5 months. His physical status affected everything from trade value to the talks with the Bills, to interest from other teams at FA time as it related to his contract demands. NO gambled, and lost. At least this year.

I can believe it. I don't think Jairus really wanted to stay here in the first place but I do believe the FO factors in player health/injury risk when deciding if or for how much they will re-sign a player. As it should be.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron Williams is quietly having a solid season at FS. Contrary to Carucci's opinion yesterday, we haven't experienced ANY dropoff in performance. Then again, Carucci praised Carpenter's ability to kick off out of the endzone, so I'm not sure he's watching the same games we are.

GO BILLS!!!

Aaron Williams is quietly having a solid season at FS. Contrary to Carucci's opinion yesterday, we haven't experienced ANY dropoff in performance. Then again, Carucci praised Carpenter's ability to kick off out of the endzone, so I'm not sure he's watching the same games we are.

GO BILLS!!!

@BuffaloBillsPR

Which #Bills DB ranks among the top 10 in the NFL in total tackles by a defensive back? @ajwilliams23

BzCiCAYCUAA_k2a.jpg

I think AW is only "quiet" because he hasn't had any INTs yet and because he plays for the Bills. But watching the games, he is very impressive.

How true. INTs, like sack for DEs, are the popular stat. Astute observers know better, though. AW is gonna make somebody's All Pro team soon, INTs or not.

GO BILLS!!!

I said it last season that Aaron Williams was a very good player and he was better than Byrd in run support. The guy can hit and tackle. Byrd is a very talented but one dimensional Safety. He can play the pass and ball hawk. Did not see his leaving as a big loss. He wanted out and got the big contract he wished for. He is gone time to move on.

I said it last season that Aaron Williams was a very good player and he was better than Byrd in run support. The guy can hit and tackle. Byrd is a very talented but one dimensional Safety. He can play the pass and ball hawk. Did not see his leaving as a big loss. He wanted out and got the big contract he wished for. He is gone time to move on.

Kirby was another who had said that he thinks AW has the potential to be a better all-around FS than Byrd. I know its early but I sure hope that is the case, and early returns look promising.

Well, it looks like Byrd's getting exactly what he wanted: $18,300,000.00 guaranteed for four games played.

Parker will now try to parlay that into his next big holdout/contract negotiations so a player like Byrd would get $73,200,000.00 guaranteed based on a 16 game season.

I think AW is only "quiet" because he hasn't had any INTs yet and because he plays for the Bills. But watching the games, he is very impressive.

Agreed. It's interesting I saw him in camp and he was head and shoulders ahead of the other DBs in terms of motivation and physical attributes. Really stuck out to me that he had all the right non skill related stuff.

IMO he knew his body was breaking down. Thats why he went for the big guarantee versus a larger incentives-based deal. Cant fault him for that really, but I was always glad Bills passed on him. Saints are in a tough spot cap-wise for years in part due to this. But this season I wouldnt be at all surprised if his replacement Rafael Bush out plays him.

so he got his guarantee and his contract, comes from a good family and knows he will be able to retain his wealth, and is getting out as soon as possible to save the dementia risk.

I think we will be seeing MUCH more of this, with the head injury issue now so front and center. Going forward, guys will get their big contract and the attendant signing bonus then tanking it (with the rest of their lives as their primary consideration).

And I do not blame them.

Whaley should have traded him for a 4rth rounder last year

its not easy to trade a guy without a contract. The team you are trading him to would want to know he is willing to sign there long term or it's a wasted draft pick. The list of teams he was willing to do that with was very short. Plus, teams knew he was going to test FA regardless. The trade everyone thinks was so easy was anything but.

Plus he had to sign the tag first in order to be traded. He could very well have waited until July again to do that, because he didn't want to be tagged, further decreasing trade partners as most teams have their starting lineup set by then. I'm sure Parker was adamant the tag would hurt their chances to sign him, as they were hoping to do that. They didn't WANT him to leave.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I wanted to re-sign him. I will be the first to admit that I should not be an NFL GM - I'm just a guy who mouths off anonymously on a message board.

the Bills wanted to re-sign him too, they just didn't want to overpay for a FS. They tried to sign him, but they weren't going to do it at the expense of other positions. NO did overpay IMO, and it didn't work out. Not this year, anyway. Edited by YoloinOhio

the Bills wanted to re-sign him too, they just didn't want to overpay for a FS. They tried to sign him, but they weren't going to do it at the expense of other positions. NO did overpay IMO, and it didn't work out. Not this year, anyway.

And it might not work out for NO in the future either. We've seen Gronk after one-too-many surgeries become a shadow of his former self. Maybe, just maybe Whaley and our own FO saw the writing on the wall wrt Mr. Byrd and would not go higher than their perceived and calculated value for him.

I'm not saying that Byrd is washed up, but he may NEVER again be perceived as an elite NFL Safety for his current play... ever.

It was also a bit revealing that pettine had the cash, relies on a strong secondary, and had just coached him, yet showed no real interest in him

Byrd was not leaving Buf to go to Cleveland... and anyway NO was very quick, they signed him up within hours of becoming a FA.

Byrd was not leaving Buf to go to Cleveland... and anyway NO was very quick, they signed him up within hours of becoming a FA.

Why not? He wanted $$$$$$$'s, lots of them. He would have stayed in buffalo if we were highest bidder and there was hardly a tradition of winning while he was here.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

what I heard (not sure if true) is that pettine thought he was a hypochondriac. Lol.

The 1st time that I mentioned that on here I got RIPPED for "spreading unsubstantiated rumors." What I've been told is that it comes from his dad. His dad always questioned the doctors' diagnosis and asked for further testing. His dad also used to make him constantly request other opinions. He would then have Jairus stay out longer than the doctors' thought was necessary. It used to really bother the medical staff.

The 1st time that I mentioned that on here I got RIPPED for "spreading unsubstantiated rumors." What I've been told is that it comes from his dad. His dad always questioned the doctors' diagnosis and asked for further testing. His dad also used to make him constantly request other opinions. He would then have Jairus stay out longer than the doctors' thought was necessary. It used to really bother the medical staff.

he and Butch played it perfectly, now they can settle in on their west coach sofa with a couple of beers and watch the season go by.

18m to the good.

Shades of Kellen Winslow and Jr.

well this blew up in NO's faces. that's a lot of guaranteed money to a guy that's sitting at home. i wish someone would pay me $18 million to do nothing

Well, you can dream! :lol:

That's one of those hazy spots as a fan that I'm not sure what to think.... I can't blame a guy for wanting to be protective over his health, when he's risking it so much already. I could also see it easily causing drama in an organization if you don't just follow team docs.

That's one of those hazy spots as a fan that I'm not sure what to think.... I can't blame a guy for wanting to be protective over his health, when he's risking it so much already. I could also see it easily causing drama in an organization if you don't just follow team docs.

And his actions further fueled The Bills' impression of his health which devalued him in their eyes. The FO gave him a fair offer. He flipped them the byrd and essentially stole money from NO. I have zero sympathy for him and less for his agent who very likely knew his medical condition(s) and applied maximum leverage in contract negotiations using smoke and mirrors to pull a huge one over on NO. Good for them. Good for NO too. They deserve the shaft that they so willingly gave themselves.

And his actions further fueled The Bills' impression of his health which devalued him in their eyes. The FO gave him a fair offer. He flipped them the byrd and essentially stole money from NO. I have zero sympathy for him and less for his agent who very likely knew his medical condition(s) and applied maximum leverage in contract negotiations using smoke and mirrors to pull a huge one over on NO. Good for them. Good for NO too. They deserve the shaft that they so willingly gave themselves.

He signed a contract and happened to get hurt. cone on.

Again, I think the Bills considered a) he's a slow player who relies on instincts, but at a certain point even his instincts won't be able to save him as he gets older/slower, b) he's a diva, c) Eugene Parker is an !@#$, and d) he pulled a Peters and refused to give maximal effort because of a contract dispute, and realized he wasn't worth close to $9M/year and decided to let him walk. The knee injury couldn't have been predicted, but the decline in production sure could have.

He signed a contract and happened to get hurt. cone on.

Yeah, he had a knee injury which is probably the result of his plantar fasciitis.

If you don't treat plantar fasciitis, it may become a chronic condition. You may not be able to keep up your level of activity, and you may develop symptoms of foot, knee, hip and back problems because plantar fasciitis can change the way you walk.

http://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/conditions/ailments-of-the-heel/Pages/Plantar-Fasciitis.aspx

Really interesting - i was completely unaware of that.

Yeah, he had a knee injury which is probably the result of his plantar fasciitis.

[/size][/font][/color]

http://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/conditions/ailments-of-the-heel/Pages/Plantar-Fasciitis.aspx

So it's "probably" from PF based on that? I thought the PF was fake though? So much to keep track of here. If his PF caused this, it sure would be hard to blame him for sitting part of last year.... Hard to keep track of the conflicting reasons to be mad at him

Nfl bloodlines seem to influence of 2 directions:

1) old school tough guy

2) chewed up and spit out and realize it's a business where you have to look out for you first

So it's "probably" from PF based on that? I thought the PF was fake though? So much to keep track of here. If his PF caused this, it sure would be hard to blame him for sitting part of last year.... Hard to keep track of the conflicting reasons to be mad at him

Not really. As has been stated countless times, The Bills knew he had health issues and gave him a fair offer for his services. He and his agent were greedy and demanded a contract that paid him at the highest level of his craft even though he was banged up and likely in decline. They needed to cash in and did what they needed to do to get paid what they felt he deserved. Nobody else other than NO had that kind of value on him. They deserve each other. That's my opinion and you're entitled to it.