Former #1 Draft Pick to "Leader of the Charge" at RWS Sunday

r00tabaga

It's disappointing that many in this thread denigrate Lee Evans. He was a great receiver stuck on a bad team with bad quarterbacking. Unfortunately, his final two seasons in Buffalo and Baltimore were below par, but he still put up some very impressive numbers.

Career stats for Lee Evans, Jerry Rice, and Andre Reed, catches, yds, avg, TD's, TD%

Evans 381 6008 15.8 83 11%

Rice 1549 22895 14.8 197 13%

Reed 951 13198 13.9 87 9%

As you can see, Lee had a higher YPC in 9 seasons than 2 HOF'ers, with a comparable TD%. Not his fault we had JP, Trentative, and Kelly Holcomb throwing the rock (was Shane Matthews in there?). Lee Evans deserves better from us as Bills fans.

Lee was a great player and a great person. Im not denying or saying otherwise. And I wouldve loved to see him out there leading the charge, but maybe AFTER we get back to the playoffs.

Unfortunately, Lee Evans (and some other very good players like Schoebel, Spikes, etc) were part of some bad/mediocre teams that were so recent, we are still trying to move past them. I just think the timing is off for what the Bills are trying to do and the message they are trying to send.

Same old same old.

Not my fault we have a very limited list of Winners to choose from. :nana:

Like I said, Id love to see some of these other, more recent Bills up there, just not yet.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My choices for Charge Leaders:

Andre Reed

Thurman Thomas

Bruce Smith

Darryl Talley

Cornelius Bennett

Steve Tasker

James Lofton

Eric Moulds

And then for our home playoff game:

Jim f-ing Kelly!

I think it would be more interesting to have more obscure former Bills do it.

It would be quite funny to see guys like jonathon linton or Jerry McDaniel do it.

I think it would be more interesting to have more obscure former Bills do it.

It would be quite funny to see guys like jonathon linton or Jerry McDaniel do it.

Im all for that too! Bring me back Carwell Gardner, Leon Seals, and Darick Holmes! While Im thinking about it, add Bryce Paup to my previous list!

Jamie mueller

Carlton Bailey

Kenneth Davis

Carwell Gardner

Leonard smith

Don beebe

Love these. Just said Gardner myself, and had thought about Leonard Smith too. Kenny Davis FOR SURE!! Have Thurman AND Davis up there, considering Freddy and CJ came out as 1 player last week!

Edited by DrDareustein

I like the idea of having a player other than one from the SB teams lead the charge. Sometimes it seems like (to non-Bills fans) those were the only players who were ever good in Buffalo, which isn't true. It is good for the current players to know that this organization did actually have talent in between then and now even though the teams they played on didn't get to the playoffs. Lee Evans was a great player here and is still an ambassador of the team and the city. Marrone always talks about wanting guys on the team who want to be here. Evans was one of those kinds of players and whether or not his teams won, it wasn't because he couldn't do his part.

A Buffalo Bills press release noted that this will be Lee Evans' first time in the middle of the field. It is a bit like seeing a unicorn.

:lol: I'd like to see Joe Ferguson involved in something like this. All this "Kelly tough" stuff forgets that Joe beat cancer twice long before Kelly did. And unlike Kelly he seems to have been forgotten in Buffalo.

Im all for that too! Bring me back Carwell Gardner, Leon Seals, and Darick Holmes! While Im thinking about it, add Bryce Paup to my previous list!

Love these. Just said Gardner myself, and had thought about Leonard Smith too. Kenny Davis FOR SURE!! Have Thurman AND Davis up there, considering Freddy and CJ came out as 1 player last week!

fwiw, they come out as 1 player every week. If you want I can send you picks of them together at the hall of game game too. I was within arms length of them.

Kevin Everett?

this would be insane!!!

:lol: I'd like to see Joe Ferguson involved in something like this. All this "Kelly tough" stuff forgets that Joe beat cancer twice long before Kelly did. And unlike Kelly he seems to have been forgotten in Buffalo.

this too

It would be pretty cool. We always see the "stars" like Kelly, Reed, etc. I would get more of a kick out of seeing these other guys. If Darick Holmes came out there, it would bring the house down!! :D

Are you kidding me??? Was JP Losman or Rob Johnson not available??

What an uninspiring choice. Lee Evans was the exact type of player the Whaley/Marrone regime has purged from the current roster. No leadership skills, no intensity, no winning attitude. What a drop off from Andre Reed last week.

Sort of how I feel too. Lee was a good player but cmon?

No Thurman? Bruce? Tasker?

Are you kidding me??? Was JP Losman or Rob Johnson not available??

What an uninspiring choice. Lee Evans was the exact type of player the Whaley/Marrone regime has purged from the current roster. No leadership skills, no intensity, no winning attitude. What a drop off from Andre Reed last week.

Hey, it's the least the Bills can do for wasting his talents.

Very disappointed at the lack of respect being shown to Mr. Evans by some on this board. What did this guy ever do but play hard (and make plays) for some crappy teams and crappy QBs? Ok, Chan and Buddy traded him once the skills were beginning to diminish, but come on...he's a better receiver than Stevie Johnson ever dreamed of being, and that guy would be welcomed with open arms to "lead the charge" some day!

I am sure the 2014 Bills squad will play less inspired ball because Lee Evans is "leading the charge" :rolleyes:

You people...really...

Very disappointed at the lack of respect being shown to Mr. Evans by some on this board. What did this guy ever do but play hard (and make plays) for some crappy teams and crappy QBs? Ok, Chan and Buddy traded him once the skills were beginning to diminish, but come on...he's a better receiver than Stevie Johnson ever dreamed of being, and that guy would be welcomed with open arms to "lead the charge" some day!

For about 4 years, he was the best player on the team. He may not have been as good as some thought (I say "may not"), but he was one of the few bright spots during some pretty dark years for the franchsie...so of course people here would **** all over him. It is what the "greatest" fans in the NFL do.

Not trying to disrespect Evans. Just think it's too soon and is the opposite of what the current regime is trying to do (move past the recent mediocrity). Heck, there are a handful of guys on this team that are in their 30s and have been playing for almost a decade. And now you have a guy who couldnt stay in the league as long as them leading their charge?

Stevie would be welcomed "some day", yes. Just like Lee will be. I just think that "some day" is coming too soon.