When do I allow myself to get excited?

We've all seen this before, a hot start. And we all know what's happened the past decade after a hot start. So when, as a long time fan, should I allow myself to start getting excited? 4 wins? 5?

Now?

To me, there's "excited" and then there's "predictive" or "expectant"

I'm damn excited right now. Watkins looks great, even injured and obviously in pain. CJ and FJ are lighting it up. EJ is playing consistently well enough to win. Our OL looks like it's gelling, our LB corp looks much improved, and the DB, esp. Corey Graham is playing well enough for me to say "Jairus who?" So yeah, I'm excited. I'm enjoying the moment, I'm eager for the next game.

I think what a lot of people mean by "excited", though, is "when should I expect a championship?" or "when should I predict playoffs with homefield advantage and book my hotel?" And well, frankly, I'll predict or expect when we actually clinch, and not before, 'cuz it's a long season, factors beyond the team's control like injuries can take a toll, and you never know. In the last 13 seasons, we all know we have seen several starts where sizzle was followed by fizzle.

What I especially like right now is that we appear to be an "honest #1" in the division at this point. What I mean by that is we have scored more points than anyone else in the division right now, we have allowed fewer points than anyone else, and our point differential is the best. So if we keep this up, it's clearly more sustainable than some seasons where we were winning week after week by pulling out last minute miracles, but we were giving up lots of points and so forth. We have given up fewer points than anyone in the AFC but the Texans, Bengals, and Ravens and anyone in the NFC but the Iggles, Pant-hers, and Redskins.

Being a top-10 defense on points is fairly predictive of playoffs, so if we continue "steady as we go" being a stingy defense on points while scoring "enough" on O, it does look .....Hopeful.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've all seen this before, a hot start. And we all know what's happened the past decade after a hot start. So when, as a long time fan, should I allow myself to start getting excited? 4 wins? 5?

Now?

If you need to ask, then you are not ready to allow yourself to be excited. Who allows themselves to get excited? You either are or are not.

I'm excited. This team is different than the Trent Edwards / Fitzpatrick hot starts. The #1 difference being a defense that won't allow themselves to be routed. I don't see many 200 rushing yards against games. As long as they keep on playing with a chip on their shoulder and rallying to the ball I like our chances.

So in other words you never smile and are rarely if ever happy? ;)

Enjoying something good while it is happening is not delusional or automatically believing it will always happen or consistently continue. It's a helluva lot more enjoyable to acknowledge goodness when it happens.

After the last 14 years, I temper my enthusiasm. Now, as a Yankees fan I expected them to win in the playoffs and WS in the late nineties. There was a feel to those teams, particularly from 1998-2000. Call me a doubting Didymus, but the NFL is extremely competitive and I've got to see more.

And nowhere am I saying that it's delusional to think differently. But for me personally, I've been up the mountain and been dropped off enough to wait for more. Teams are smart and they adapt. It's a long season.

I'm right there with you man. Remember that Trent Edwards year?

Though I'm already cautiously excited, I'll "officially" be excited if we beat SD this Sunday.

I had us losing to bears and beating dolphins prior to season. Then I had us losing to SD. So if in the first 3 weeks we win 2 games that we "should" have lost prior to the season, I'll be freaking officially psyched.

Agreed- enjoying one game at a time. Just like what happened to Trent in Arizona could happen to EJ.

However I will get excited when the team is playing for their 9th win on the year. Very excited.

Just enjoy the moment. This is fun right now. If you can't get excited about this what's the point?

Yep this is how I feel as well. Enjoy every moment, every play, every game in which the Bills play well. The end goal is the superbowl, but that is still pretty far away. Enjoying the ride is the best part.

After the last 14 years, I temper my enthusiasm. Now, as a Yankees fan I expected them to win in the playoffs and WS in the late nineties. There was a feel to those teams, particularly from 1998-2000. Call me a doubting Didymus, but the NFL is extremely competitive and I've got to see more.

And nowhere am I saying that it's delusional to think differently. But for me personally, I've been up the mountain and been dropped off enough to wait for more. Teams are smart and they adapt. It's a long season.

Oh, sure. And you have proven yourself to be right more often than not because they have not been good for so long, and some fast starts were faux starts. That's not really what I meant though. I don't understand not thoroughly enjoying something wholly good, like this week and victory yesterday, just because you fear that down the line it may not last. That's depriving yourself, IMO, of a lot of happiness. You can still go crazy over this win without thinking that it automatically assures a good season, because it obviously doesn't.

I'm not talking specifically about you here, but it just seems ridiculous to me that people will be unhappy about the team before the season starts because they have been bad for so long, unhappy when they have a good first game because it's just one game, unhappy when they have two good games because we have seen this before, unhappy when they inevitably lose a game soon because this "is the same old Bills", unhappy when they win a game they don't deserve because if they do this against a different team they'll lose, unhappy when the QB makes a bunch of plays but they weren't good passes, etc.

The only way people allow themselves to be happy over the course of the entire season is if they go 12-4 and then go to the Super Bowl. Why put yourself through that?

I was less than excited going into Chicago. After that game I figured at least we wouldn't be embarrassed. The Miami game moved me into believing we had what if takes to be quite good. A win against a team such as San Diego? Hell...I'll get excited as hell. Looks like an interesting season.

Oh, sure. And you have proven yourself to be right more often than not because they have not been good for so long, and some fast starts were faux starts. That's not really what I meant though. I don't understand not thoroughly enjoying something wholly good, like this week and victory yesterday, just because you fear that down the line it may not last. That's depriving yourself, IMO, of a lot of happiness. You can still go crazy over this win without thinking that it automatically assures a good season, because it obviously doesn't.

I'm not talking specifically about you here, but it just seems ridiculous to me that people will be unhappy about the team before the season starts because they have been bad for so long, unhappy when they have a good first game because it's just one game, unhappy when they have two good games because we have seen this before, unhappy when they inevitably lose a game soon because this "is the same old Bills", unhappy when they win a game they don't deserve because if they do this against a different team they'll lose, unhappy when the QB makes a bunch of plays but they weren't good passes, etc.

The only way people allow themselves to be happy over the course of the entire season is if they go 12-4 and then go to the Super Bowl. Why put yourself through that?

My perspective and opinion was never grounded in simply being right. That kind of hubris and arrogance doesn't bring me to this board. Rather my opinion was made based on the trends, personnel, and decision making prowess exhibited at OBD over the years.

Now, there is hope that things will get cleaned up and the decade plus of ineptitude will be over. And, we know the the team won't be moving either. These are things to celebrate. Not to mention Kelly is reportedly healthy, they're 2-0, Andre Reed is in the HoF, and they're improving on the field. But my happiness, contentment, or disappointment doesn't hinge on the team's fortunes as much as others. And that's okay. I would just hope a certain amount of meaningful debate could take place

I took no pride in seeing things go wrong over the years. If I did, it'd be a pretty stupid investment of my time to spend 7+ years on a message board. At the same time, it's disheartening to see so much group-think, although it being a message board I expect a certain amount of it. At the end of the day obviously (to quote Marrone) we want the team to win and to win and to win. It just takes me a little more than 2 wins to get to the level some are approaching or have reached. I guess if that's negative so be it.

My perspective and opinion was never grounded in simply being right. That kind of hubris and arrogance doesn't bring me to this board. Rather my opinion was made based on the trends, personnel, and decision making prowess exhibited at OBD over the years.

Now, there is hope that things will get cleaned up and the decade plus of ineptitude will be over. And, we know the the team won't be moving either. These are things to celebrate. Not to mention Kelly is reportedly healthy, they're 2-0, Andre Reed is in the HoF, and they're improving on the field. But my happiness, contentment, or disappointment doesn't hinge on the team's fortunes as much as others. And that's okay. I would just hope a certain amount of meaningful debate could take place

I took no pride in seeing things go wrong over the years. If I did, it'd be a pretty stupid investment of my time to spend 7+ years on a message board. At the same time, it's disheartening to see so much group-think, although it being a message board I expect a certain amount of it. At the end of the day obviously (to quote Marrone) we want the team to win and to win and to win. It just takes me a little more than 2 wins to get to the level some are approaching or have reached. I guess if that's negative so be it.

I didn't mean it that way. I don't know you or what you think or how you feel after these games. It seems like a lot of the most critical or negative posters here are never happy with wins. I'm sure they're happy to see the game and the Bills to win but they immediately just B word about something else rather than just enjoy the win and still not be convinced of the fact they are a very good team until they get in the playoffs or whatever your personal measure is.

Again, not saying that's you, but that is how a lot of people here come across. Just not ever happy with the team because it's impossible for them to enjoy the moment because of possible disappointment in a month or two. That makes no sense to me, but what the hell.

I agree with what has been said above... the difference between this good start and the last couple of times we have come out hot is we are stopping the run. And call me old fashioned, call me a dinosaur, but in the NFL you have to stop the run first and foremost or you can't manage the game, you can't control the line of scrimmage and eventually.... you can't win. I can't believe this organisation has taken so many goes to figure that out. I'm comfortable with Schwartz though.... I believe he knows what he is doing, he has already demonstrated that under his reign it isn't going to be the same gameplan week after week regardless of opposition. I also like that he has a chip on his shoulder after what happened in Detroit. His ego was hurt. He must have looked at the talent we had when he got offered this and thought "Wow, there is one huge opportunity to prove people wrong" and I think he is dead set on doing that.

Keep reminding yourself that this current Bills' team bears none of the burden for any previous disappointments. This team is much more talented and has depth as well. It's a new day and a new way so let go of the past as it has absolutely nothing to do with 2014. Enjoy this and look forward to more good things this season. The Bully Bills are taking no prisoners!

This is as good as it gets !

I'm excited. I'm also very nervous, but I can't hold back my excitement.

Good Man !

I am reading through this topic and just noticed your new avatar .

That is hilarious . I truly mean that effort is classic work .

sodbuster .

great post too. reflects my sentiments.

This is our year.

I don't mean we'll win the Superbowl. I'm not even going to talk about the playoffs (playoffs?!?!). Heck, with an unproven QB it wouldn't surprise me if we're looking at 2-2 in a couple weeks.

But this is our year. The Bills are staying in Buffalo for decades, if not the entire lifespan of the NFL.

This is our year. We've got 11 guys playing smash mouth defense, and a 12th man that will make Ralph Wilson Stadium the least friendly environment for opponents in 2014.

We've got the most exciting rookie in the NFL this year. A guy who was inches away from 200 yards and 3 TD's in his home opener.

We've got the most bad ass special teams units in the league.

So if you're looking for a time to get excited, it's now. This isn't the 2008 team. In fact, only three guys remain from that team and they're some of our best. Jackson, Williams and McKelvin. Three veterans, two captains, who remember 2008. Who would break their backs to not feel that way again.

This is our year.

Great post !

zevo , i think thats the general consesus.

Most fun i have had as afan of the Buffalo Bills in a long ltime.

Enjoying another full week of Bills fandom bliss FTW !

Edited by 3rdand12

Now?

Now...enjoy it now just like you should enjoy life now...you never know what tomorrow brings.

Besides, this is NOT that Trent Edwards team or Fitzcraptrick team. Trent Edwards year, we started 4-0 against 4 bad teams, all of which we barely beat. In fact, I was very vocal and caught heat telling everyone we would not make the playoffs if we kept playing like that and if Edwards kept playing the way he was. Fitzcraptrick year we had a mistake prone QB who was incredibly inconsistent and about half the talent overall on this team now and an inept coaching staff.

This year we have an ascending young QB, loads more talent, and a better coach (although I am still not thrilled with Hackett). We have more passion, more fire, more swagger than any team since the Kelly days. This team has fight, even proved it last year. We may have finished 6-10 but we were 5 plays away from 10 wins. Add in the youth on the roster and staff and the plethora of injuries, especially at the skill positions and that was still a step forward for this organization. And we have 2 good wins against 2 tough opponents. Not to mention, the extra motivation for Ralph, Mary, and the new owners.

I believe we will be 4-1 or 5-0 going into the NE game. This team is good.