Is John Murphy Delusional or What?

patfitz

I have followed Bills football since their first season and listened to all the rhetoric, from Art Wander and teh Coach Chuck Dickerson to Shoop and teh Bulldog on WGR, but I have been astounded and disappointed by the over the patently biased, over the top views expressed by John Murphy on his radio show of late where callers cannot disagree with him about his "optimisitc" views on the Bills' chances, EJ's ability to succeed as QB, on Marrone and Whaley's tenure, etc. adn questioning why fans feel the way they do. Wake up and smell the coffee John, amaybe somebody spiked his with those Mollys! I know he is employed by the Bills and may be he feeling the heat if a new owner will pull the plug on his show, but for goodeness sake lighten up, callers can disagree and anyone who doesn't seem to agree with his rose colored glasses are ridiculed or discounted for their opinions. I used to think he was a level headed guy at least as a sportscaster but he seems very jaded of late. He also treis in ernest to be overly apologetic to his guests like the time when he tried to suggest that his "good buddy", guest Ron Jaws Jaworski back in early training camp, tried to sell us on Bon Jovi wanting was was "right for Buffalo" to keep the Bills in Buffalo, how dumb does he think the average fan is and why should we believe Jaws would tell us what Bon Jovi has in mind in the first place? Whenever a caller suggests that his opinion may be biased due to the fact he works for Bills' organization he profusely deneisthis, yet he and Chris Brown are in fact mouthpeices for the Bills whether or not they careto fess up.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have followed Bills football since their first season and listened to all the rhetoric, from Art Wander and teh Coach Chuck Dickerson to Shoop and teh Bulldog on WGR, but I have been astounded and disappointed by the over the patently biased, over the top views expressed by John Murphy on his radio show of late where callers cannot disagree with him about his "optimisitc" views on the Bills' chances, EJ's ability to succeed as QB, on Marrone and Whaley's tenure, etc. adn questioning why fans feel the way they do. Wake up and smell the coffee John, amaybe somebody spiked his with those Mollys! I know he is employed by the Bills and may be he feeling the heat if a new owner will pull the plug on his show, but for goodeness sake lighten up, callers can disagree and anyone who doesn't seem to agree with his rose colored glasses are ridiculed or discounted for their opinions. I used to think he was a level headed guy at least as a sportscaster but he seems very jaded of late. He also treis in ernest to be overly apologetic to his guests like the time when he tried to suggest that his "good buddy", guest Ron Jaws Jaworski back in early training camp, tried to sell us on Bon Jovi wanting was was "right for Buffalo" to keep the Bills in Buffalo, how dumb does he think the average fan is and why should we believe Jaws would tell us what Bon Jovi has in mind in the first place? Whenever a caller suggests that his opinion may be biased due to the fact he works for Bills' organization he profusely deneisthis, yet he and Chris Brown are in fact mouthpeices for the Bills whether or not they careto fess up.

The show is paid for by the Bills so he has to tote the company line.

Also, consider using the enter button to make long posts easier to read.

The italics threw me a bit. But I had to stop reading when he mentioned some of the worst broadcasters in the history of sports: Art Wander, teh [sic] Coach, Shoop. teh [sic] Bulldog...

I had to think, didn't this guy every listen to anyone with half a brain?

Hope you llke Whaley and Marrone. Saw a piece in the "for sale" thread by John Wawrow he said if Pegual is the new owner (he says he will be) Russ and Whaley are almost certain to be retained. Barring a total team melt down he expects Marrone to be back too, with minor tweeks to the coaching staff.

The show is paid for by the Bills so he has to tote the company line.

Also, consider using the enter button to make long posts easier to read.

Going to end up in TBDisms or that's where you got it from. :rolleyes: Personally I toke the company line or snort it.

Hope you llke Whaley and Marrone. Saw a piece in the "for sale" thread by John Wawrow he said if Pegual is the new owner (he says he will be) Russ and Whaley are almost certain to be retained. Barring a total team melt down he expects Marrone to be back too, with minor tweeks to the coaching staff.

I'm OK with that.

While everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion I have to disagree with this one. Though Murph may not agree with callers,I've never heard him ridicule them . He'is a true pro and his opinions are more even keeled than hyperbolic.For example he says EJ needs to play better and show more than he has, but he feels it's too early to decide if he ultimately can be a good QB. I don't think that is an extremely rosy assessment, nor a campaign to put Manuel on the wall of fame. I recall Murph stating this evening that he is surprised how many have bailed on EJ and that they are entitled to their opinion but he doesn't agree. Thats hardly ridicule. While I do not always share his opinion,I think he believes what he says and is not just shilling for the team. In today's sports talk environment of controversy and over reaction, I actually find Murphy refreshing.

I totally agree with you Boatdrinks. Murph has never denied anyone their right to disagree. Thus, the statement that people can't disagree is simply disingenuous.

He's been very tolerant, but just refuses to give in to the panty wadders.

And he's absolutely right. The team hasn't played a meaningful game yet, and the arm-chair but-puckerers can't wait to run him out of town. Makes me embarrassed to be a Bills fan.

I find Murph to be a rather mediocre play by play guy. He often screws things up and that violates Rule #1 in play by play broadcasting.

It is obvious where his pay check comes from in listening to the radio show, but I agree with some others that he is willing to listen to alternative views. He is almost "pleasant" to a fault. I wish he actually had more edge in his views.

I find him to be kind of an airy, laid back guy lacking in depth and don't enjoy his show for that reason.

There is also something to the tone of his voice and his delivery on the radio that glazes my eyes over and completely tunes my brain out. Listening to him is kind of like reading a press release as opposed to great literature.

Other than that, I love him.

LOL.

Yeah Murph is a homer which great for game day but not for talk radio.

Time for the Sal Capaccio Show.

I think that if you choose to listen to his show, you know what you are going to get. There are other shows locally that are overly negative IMO like schopp, a bit apathetic and just passing the time until hockey season like Howard and Jeremy, or realistic/balanced like Sal's Saturday show. If you don't like murph's style then I recommend listening to one of the others on the WGR podcasts.

He has a tough job because he takes callers but does work for the Bills. I remember before the draft, almost every call was about the Bills should take Manziel. I mean, that just wasn't realistic. He ended up doing an all-manziel show so people could get it out of their systems. It didn't work, lol.

He took a caller last night who threw in at the end of his call that he thought a reason some fans were down on EJ was due to his race. He seemed apoplectic - I doubt he wanted to discuss racism on a football show.

Again, you know what you are getting on his show. I love the interviews and guests and the callers are usually entertaining, lol.