How long do you give EJ

How long do you give EJ?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. How many games do you give EJ to prove himself this season?

• As soon as he starts to struggle
    • Until bye week (8 games)
    • The full season

Full season. Without a doubt. It isn't like there is a young kid with even outside potential behind him. Orton is a known commodity and unless you want to give up on EJ and hand the reins to him for 2015 there is no reason to bench EJ. Now if EJ crashes and burns then we are having a different conversation, but if he has any hope at all you stick with him.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unconditional anything is not usually very good... QB's get benched for poor play all the time... ALL players do... EJ hasn't earned anything yet... It's time for him to step up his play... It's also time for Marrone to get the OL's heads out of their a$$e$ and stop "T*tty blocking" the opposing D's... And Whaley should start thinking about what he is gonna say to Terry Pegula when he is asked why he didn't just draft Ebron or Beckham instead of trading away next years #1 pick...

I give him until about 2:30 on Sunday. It is painfully obvious to anyone who isn't a homer that EJ just doesn't have it. Good QB's do not come into the league anymore and struggle for years.

I agree. Seeing EJ struggle over the last few years has definitely shown that he will never become a good QB.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to start up my time machine and get back to my alternate future timeline.

Unconditional anything is not usually very good... QB's get benched for poor play all the time... ALL players do... EJ hasn't earned anything yet... It's time for him to step up his play... It's also time for Marrone to get the OL's heads out of their a$$e$ and stop "T*tty blocking" the opposing D's... And Whaley should start thinking about what he is gonna say to Terry Pegula when he is asked why he didn't just draft Ebron or Beckham instead of trading away next years #1 pick...

Just posted this in another thread if you go to the "for sale" thread there is a piece by John Wawrow. In it he says Pegula most likely the new owner. He also says both Russ and Whaley almost certainly will be retained past this year. He also says most likely, barring a total team melt down, Marrone will be too. Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

I said it before up-post and I'll say it again.

A lot of you are acting like we are on year 2 of a 3 year plan. But we cant put the whole team / season on hold waiting for one guy to catch up.

We are in year 1 of a 1 year plan, people. Win. Now. Best man plays. Whoever, whenever.

Edited by maddenboy

I don't advocate ditching EJ until it is obvious that he is the problem. At the moment it is not obvious to me that is the case. The offense hasn't functioned in pre-season at all (that goes way beyond EJ). Let's see what happens on Sunday. Anyone who has watched Kyle Orton play in the league knows that he isn't a "win games on his own" Quarterback either. So if the offense isn't functioning I don't see him being any more likely to deliver us wins than EJ.

I don't think that many if any want to give him the whole 16 game season if he sucks. But that's the point, those that voted for the entire season expect that he will continue where left off at a minimum and improve.

Promo had it right, if we bench Manuel after a few games to win now at all costs, how long then before we bench Orton? While Orton may look better based on the "eyeball/has it" tests his career stats are no better and his rookie stats were much worse.

So who do we bring in to replace Orton and how long before he learns the playbook? Looks like we need another poll or two.

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

EJ had tenth best rookie season EVER! Choke on that crow... Your assessment is garbage.

Stats can be moved to sway arguments how you want to sway them. Data can be used to prove climate change and disprove it. It depends on how you look at it. But if you went on EJs film as opposed to stats there is no way anybody could make that argument. In the past 10 years EJ's rookie campaign wasn't in the top 10. He wasn't even the best last year by stats.

Also, we don't need anybody to choke on anything just because they disagree, man.

I dont think EJ lasts more than 3 games if hes not playing well and by not playing well I mean not playing better than he did in the preseason. Doug and Doug know they need to win to save their jobs with the new owner coming in and I think they know (or will know if EJ starts to play bad) that Orton gives them the best chance. I know a guy in the media who has been going to the practices since Orton signed and he said that its obvious that Orton is the better QB when you watch them throw.

I will root for EJ but if he struggles I will want Orton in there, im not willing to suffer through a season in order to help EJ develop when there is this much talent on the team with a more competent QB on the bench. I know EJ may turn into a good QB one day, and I hope he does, but maybe at this point sitting behind a vet wouldnt be the worst thing for him.

I hope that EJ comes out and surprises me and performs well against Chicago but based on the preseason and other things I am hearing I dont think EJ will last more than 3-4 games if he struggles.

Another thing to consider is that Bills schedule is softer on the front-end, which should help EJ. The obvious flip side is that if he still struggles in the first 8 games, that won't bode well for his prospects.

I dont think EJ lasts more than 3 games if hes not playing well and by not playing well I mean not playing better than he did in the preseason. Doug and Doug know they need to win to save their jobs with the new owner coming in and I think they know (or will know if EJ starts to play bad) that Orton gives them the best chance. I know a guy in the media who has been going to the practices since Orton signed and he said that its obvious that Orton is the better QB when you watch them throw.

I will root for EJ but if he struggles I will want Orton in there, im not willing to suffer through a season in order to help EJ develop when there is this much talent on the team with a more competent QB on the bench. I know EJ may turn into a good QB one day, and I hope he does, but maybe at this point sitting behind a vet wouldnt be the worst thing for him.

I hope that EJ comes out and surprises me and performs well against Chicago but based on the preseason and other things I am hearing I dont think EJ will last more than 3-4 games if he struggles.

All of which is fair - but I think we need to be clear that it is EJ struggling rather than the whole offense being out of sync. Because if it is the latter I fear we would stick Orton in, bench EJ (with the obvious confidence knock), and be no further forward. I'm going to be watching the offensive plays very carefully on Sunday, more carefully than normal, because my growing suspicion is that we have a guy in over his head.... but that guy is the OC not the QB.

He has until halftime on Sunday for me. It would be nice if he didn't have to always suck in the first half on the road. We need at least 1 td and have to be within 1 score. If we haven't scored and we need two scores to catch up, it will be clear that he still sucks. He is healthy, had all offseason to prepare and if we can't draw something up that they haven't seen for week one to move the ball early, I think it is going to be a long season.

The assumption should be he is the guy for the full season. However, in the event he struggles game to game, or shows no additional growth or consistency, by mid year a change may be warranted. For me it is all about showing progress. This is still a learning year, but one in which I, and I assume the team, expect to see evidence of improvement. He will have bad games, bad quarters, bad series, etc, but does the overall body of work indicate a guy that is growing, getting it, or not. It could certainly go either way, but I expect this is precisely what he will show. Despite the farmers with pitchforks around here assuming he will fail, or waiting for him to fail, the Bills will give him every opportunity. There will be no quick hook, nor should there be.

He has until halftime on Sunday for me. It would be nice if he didn't have to always suck in the first half on the road. We need at least 1 td and have to be within 1 score. If we haven't scored and we need two scores to catch up, it will be clear that he still sucks. He is healthy, had all offseason to prepare and if we can't draw something up that they haven't seen for week one to move the ball early, I think it is going to be a long season.

Until half time the first game, huh? You need to adjust your expectations.

Despite what Orton has said, it will take him a few weeks to be ready. If EJ sucks consistently for those few weeks, Orton should take over. If EJ's merely average - or if he's inconsistently good and bad - he should keep the starting job. Orton is only an average QB anyway and EJ is still young and learning, and will benefit from game experience.

Despite what Orton has said, it will take him a few weeks to be ready. If EJ sucks consistently for those few weeks, Orton should take over. If EJ's merely average - or if he's inconsistently good and bad - he should keep the starting job. Orton is only an average QB anyway and EJ is still young and learning, and will benefit from game experience.

As a rookie QB last season, EJ didn't suck consistently for weeks. He usually followed up poor games with stronger performances so I'm not sure where comments like this are coming from. Are you expecting him to regress this season?