Sal Capaccio

Big Blitz

Anyone else growing to really like him?

If I'm WGR management, I fire Schoop and the Bulldog and replace him with Sal and a former player---like a Darryl Talley---for the 3 pm show. I know what you're saying--but they'd need a hockey guy for hockey season. I haven't heard one on at 3 in a long time so what does it matter. I get my fill from the morning crew.

Anyway, as someone mentioned today here, Schoop is an absolute joke. You can trash certain things our local teams do (actually for him its never the Sabres--at least nowhere near as hard as he does the Bills). But he trashes them just to trash them. There is no insight, there is just EJ EJ EJ EJ. Remember when he used to go by the whole "sports talk for smart people" crap. Back when he endorsed Rob Johnson over Doug Flutie. The WNSA days.

Today the moron started his show wanting to talk about the USC player who lied about saving his nephew or something....and Schoop turned into a TEN MINUTE monologue about how when he was in 3rd grade he told this crazy lie to his teacher. End take. That was it. And I'm so sick of his "I need something interesting to talk about" crap. Find something idiot! There's a ton to discuss that matters to us fans. Don't troll us for callers. I'm so freaking done listening to this clown.

Back to Sal...really appreciating his work on the radio. He brings good balance and insight. Puts things in context and perspective--criticizes what needs to be criticized. But he manages to do it in a way that doesn't make you walk away hating life. Like Schoop seems intent on doing.

I think Sal is great with the callers to. My one criticism of him would be to talk slower---but I'm assuming he's Italian, he's from NY, maybe Catholic, so the fast talking would make sense. I envision him using his hands a ton.

So kudos to you Sal..I think you're doing fantastic and I'd put you on that 3 o clock show in a second.

Hope the WGR higher ups realize it.

Edited by Big Blitz

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny this came up today. I am a fan of Sals work and have been since his internet broadcasts of buffalo bills now from his moms basement.

But today I thought he was crazy when he said he wouldn't take tannehill's 2013 for EJ this year. He didn't think that would be a good step up for EJ. I thought that was crazy talk.

But back to sal as a host, you can tell he actually likes his job and that is a big plus.

Anytime Sal and Joe B are on together is solid listening

Edited by FluffHead

Funny this came up today. I am a fan of Sals work and have been since his internet broadcasts of buffalo bills now from his moms basement.

But today I thought he was crazy when he said he wouldn't take tannehill's 2013 for EJ this year. He didn't think that would be a good step up for EJ. I thought that was crazy talk.

But back to sal as a host, you can tell he actually likes his job and that is a big plus.

I heard that take on Tannehill this am too. I wouldn't call it crazy... I've watched a lot of Tannehill (I unfortunately owned Mike Wallace last year in fantasy and made it a point to figure out what the hell was going on :cry: ) and I just saw his last preseason game. I'm not sure there's anything special there that says franchise QB. He makes 2 good throws and one really bad one. He had so many yards last year because they could not run the ball AT ALL. Plus, he has a superior offensive coach so maybe Sal thinks "I'll take my chances with EJ b/c I'm pretty sure Tannehill ain't much of a big step up if at all." EJ in a full rookie season would have similar numbers to Tannehill who just completed his second season.

LOL...I'm from a very large Catholic Italian family. Holidays are extremely loud.

Yes, indeed. Gotta keep your eyes on the wine glasses too, with all that wild gesticulation going on. Any good Italian conversation involved a LOT of arm waving.

And all this talk of Capaccio gets me thinking of carpaccio. Yum!

Edited by The Dean

I heard that take on Tannehill this am too. I wouldn't call it crazy... I've watched a lot of Tannehill (I unfortunately owned Mike Wallace last year in fantasy and made it a point to figure out what the hell was going on :cry: ) and I just saw his last preseason game. I'm not sure there's anything special there that says franchise QB. He makes 2 good throws and one really bad one. He had so many yards last year because they could not run the ball AT ALL. Plus, he has a superior offensive coach so maybe Sal thinks "I'll take my chances with EJ b/c I'm pretty sure Tannehill ain't much of a big step up if at all." EJ in a full rookie season would have similar numbers to Tannehill who just completed his second season.

I almost started a thread this morning about that. I could not believe what I was hearing. One day hopefully EJ progresses to Tannehill? Why? What did they see that I didnt? I lost respect for him on that comment. Was that Joe B who said that?

If I'm WGR management, I fire Schoop and the Bulldog and replace him with Sal and a former player---like a Darryl Talley---for the 3 pm show. I know what you're saying--but they'd need a hockey guy for hockey season. I haven't heard one on at 3 in a long time so what does it matter. I get my fill from the morning crew.

Anyway, as someone mentioned today here, Schoop is an absolute joke. You can trash certain things our local teams do (actually for him its never the Sabres--at least nowhere near as hard as he does the Bills). But he trashes them just to trash them. There is no insight, there is just EJ EJ EJ EJ. Remember when he used to go by the whole "sports talk for smart people" crap. Back when he endorsed Rob Johnson over Doug Flutie. The WNSA days.

Today the moron started his show wanting to talk about the USC player who lied about saving his nephew or something....and Schoop turned into a TEN MINUTE monologue about how when he was in 3rd grade he told this crazy lie to his teacher. End take. That was it. And I'm so sick of his "I need something interesting to talk about" crap. Find something idiot! There's a ton to discuss that matters to us fans. Don't troll us for callers. I'm so freaking done listening to this clown.

Back to Sal...really appreciating his work on the radio. He brings good balance and insight. Puts things in context and perspective--criticizes what needs to be criticized. But he manages to do it in a way that doesn't make you walk away hating life. Like Schoop seems intent on doing.

I think Sal is great with the callers to. My one criticism of him would be to talk slower---but I'm assuming he's Italian, he's from NY, maybe Catholic, so the fast talking would make sense. I envision him using his hands a ton.

So kudos to you Sal..I think you're doing fantastic and I'd put you on that 3 o clock show in a second.

Totally agree. Schopp is hard to listen to. I don't want or need a cheerleader for the team, but I also don't need someone who constantly whines about everything and harps on the negative. A nice, even-handed host would be most welcome and Sal would be that, and his enthusiasm would be welcomed as well. Schopp is a Grinch and a Scrooge rolled up into one. I think he might need therapy.

It's just that Schopp isn't a fan. We all are. Thus we get angry at his negativity.

But let's be honest: for someone who is not a Bills fan it's really hard to take anything this team says/does seriously given its absolutely pitiful track record over the past 15 years.

There are kids moving into their college dorms this weekend who have no memory of a sports world where the Bills are a playoff team. Think about that. That's an entire generation of young people who have never seen this team be good.

You want the sports talk guys to stop being negative all the time? Win. Then they'll just be negative half the time (see the Patriots* sports talk station).

Edited by TheFunPolice

I tuned into WGR on the internet yesterday just to see what it was all about. Reminded me why aI don't listen to sports talk radio much anymore. This Schop character rambles on for 10 minutes and then decides to take calls. Some guy disagreed with him so he shouted him down and hung up on him. Then he rambled on for another 10 minutes about 9 straight losing seasons I think it was.

When I listen to call in shows I'm more interested in what callers have to say. Not much of that. Then he provided a great service of his 6 best over/under picks. I turned it off. Boooooooooooooooring.

He's probably right though....

An increase to Tannehill's 2013 stats would be...

Completion%: +1.6%

YPA: +0.22

TD%: +0.49%

INT%: -0.05%

QBR: +4.0

Seems to me that Tannehill's 2nd year stats were only marginally better than EJ's rookie stats.

Edited by Dibs

It's just that Schopp isn't a fan. We all are. Thus we get angry at his negativity.

But let's be honest: for someone who is not a Bills fan it's really hard to take anything this team says/does seriously given its absolutely pitiful track record over the past 15 years.

There are kids moving into their college dorms this weekend who have no memory of a sports world where the Bills are a playoff team. Think about that. That's an entire generation of young people who have never seen this team be good.

You want the sports talk guys to stop being negative all the time? Win. Then they'll just be negative half the time (see the Patriots* sports talk station).

This is a football and hockey town. They have an afternoon drive host on the sports radio station who doesn't have much of an interest in either of those two sports.

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Sal's one of my favorites. I don't always agree with him, but I know his takes are not just to stir things up. He's a Buffalo fan who can still be objective, but he's also genuinely enthusiastic and generally optimistic.

Sal is the real deal, I'd actually like him to replace Murphy who is a nice guy but way too much of a homer and is just fine as the voice of the Bills. Sal is just more interesting to listen to about sports.

Also like Joe B and Paul Hamilton who's stinging honesty is refreshing.

Sal has actually got into it with me texting, about the spread and EJ, too bad he wrong about EJ and I would take Tannehill in a heartbeat, kid is gona take the next step and light it up this year.

Yea I'm a big Sal fan as well. I only catch him when he is replacing Murph but I enjoy listening to him. I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying give him the John Murphy show, but maybe he could do it one night per week or they could co-present on one night of the week and make it a bit more of a discussion show with fewer interviews that night? I sometimes feel as though Murph is scraping the barrel for guests on some evenings.

I agree with him on Tannehill too. Tannehill was not good in 2013, I still think he is a bottom 6-8 of the league starting Quarterback as of the current moment. If he doesn't take a big step this year the Dolhpins have to think about moving on for me. If EJ is putting up Tannheill like numbers this year that won't be good enough for us to make the play-offs I don't think.