Per Chris Brown, Hughes unlikely to be signed if has another good yr

YoloinOhio

This is simply not true. I can count on less than one hand all the times MW has not controlled his corner. He's a technical marvel at the position. The problems we've had against the run can be attributed to piss poor LB play more than any other factor. It's why we've turned that group over several years in a row now.

GO BILLS!!!

I can agree with the fact he is decent in containment...but he is a pass-rusher first and foremost.

That was my point from the get-go.

It's a lot easier to replace a run-stuffing big man, than it is to replace an elite pass-rusher.

Bottom line is...we need to get to Tom Brady, in order to beat the Patriots.

We need to beat the Patriots in order to win the division, or even have a sniff at the playoffs.

Without getting to Tom Brady, none of that happens...especially without elite pass-rushers.

Look at the Giants when they won the Super Bowl with those defensive lines.

And obviously Stevie and Sammy aren't the same...but Stevie was the defacto "#1 WR," now Sammy is.

Edited by Bob Malooga

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year they had to replace Byrd and Stevie...next year it could be Hughes and Spiller?

They could probably sign him for half the money of Mario, and get the same production or more.

You cannot keep letting guys go, and drafting their replacements every year, it has gotten them nowhere. Instead of trading Stevie and drafting his replacement, they could have drafted a pass-rusher and kept Stevie.

So, now...they go into next year already having to spend a draft pick on a replacement player.

I just cannot wrap my head around it. :blush:

There's a little thing called a salary cap. You can't just sign everybody to mega-contacts.

Mario is one of the best DE's against the run in the entire NFL. Period. He shows up on every play and it's all over his game tape. Pick any game when he's healthy (all of last season for example). Saying our team Run Defense was poor and having to do with anything he did is simply incorrect.

I can agree with the fact he is decent in containment...but he is a pass-rusher first and foremost.

That was my point from the get-go.

It's a lot easier to replace a run-stuffing big man, than it is to replace an elite pass-rusher.

Bottom line is...we need to get to Tom Brady, in order to beat the Patriots.

We need to beat the Patriots in order to win the division, or even have a sniff at the playoffs.

Without getting to Tom Brady, none of that happens...especially without elite pass-rushers.

Look at the Giants when they won the Super Bowl with those defensive lines.

And obviously Stevie and Sammy aren't the same...but Stevie was the defacto "#1 WR," now Sammy is.

Of course he's a great pass rusher, but I thought your point was to put forth the idea that Mario Williams sucks against the run and we could just give Hughes half as much (which wouldn't be enough if he has a monster year) to get the same production.

GO BILLS!!!

We have quite a few players GOOD players that will be coming due for new contracts . Not only if Hughes has a good year but if CJ has a year as good or better than he did in 2012 the Bills will have to open up that check book !

The only other way they could d things is if they rework Mario's contract & cut some of the others .

Unfortunately Fred is coming to the end of his run in a Bills uni , if he has a below average year i could see them getting some cap room from cutting him .

Plus Kyle Williams is getting up there too so if he goes in a negative direction as far as his out put goes & the Bills mimic let's say the Pat's he could go for a extra mid round pick like the Pat's did with Seymore .

Making the business of the NFL a cold hearted place ...

There's a little thing called a salary cap. You can't just sign everybody to mega-contacts.

No kidding...please point out where I said they had to sign him to a "mega-contract?" (Hint: I didn't.)

I actually said quite the opposite.

Somehow, the great teams all find ways to keep their best players. Seattle could let someone like Chris Clemons go, because they had someone waiting in the wings to replace him. Buffalo does not have that replacement waiting for Hughes to walk away.

THAT is the problem here.

That's conventional wisdom, not to invest too much in one position, but it's not a law or rule, and in the Bills' case, the smart thing is to sign Hughes to a long-term deal. They have very little money invested in the quarterback position (especially compared to what Brady and Manning are being paid), so there should be plenty of room. Plus, after this season, it may be easier to replace the soon-to-be-overpaid Mario than Hughes, a young player on the rise.

Sign your young players, Bills. You've taken two steps forward: forget the three steps back for once.

The team has no payroll pressure like a playoff or superbowl team. They let Byrd walk with a likely lo ball.

They just dumped johnsons contract. Possibly in the post Litmann (yea) period and remembering Hughes has had one good

Season. This season is yet to be played. There is no reason this team cannot sign a guy like him, Spiller and others.

or as others said keep drafting replacements. That has failed miserably.

They pay peanuts at the quarterback and left tackle positions. Why can the Niners sign everyone they really want and pick up Johnsons contract? The Bills cannot have 2 DE's?

Of course he's a great pass rusher, but I thought your point was to put forth the idea that Mario Williams sucks against the run and we could just give Hughes half as much (which wouldn't be enough if he has a monster year) to get the same production.

GO BILLS!!!

AS A PASS-RUSHER.

Not once did I say "Mario Williams sucks against the run."

I said the run defense has sucked since before he arrived, and if he was so good, why hasn't it improved?

Quite a big difference.

This is a little ridiculous speculating on this now. What happens if he breaks Strahan's single season sack record (and Brett Favre doesn't give him a gift sack)? You still don't keep him? Really?

right. But brown was asked about it and assuming they do keep All of the other 3, he doesn't think they would tie up that much in the DL. Not because it's the bills, but because it is not common around the league either. So I guess if that happens and he gets 20+ sacks, and brown is correctly laying out how they may approach the DL, then we would be losing Mario, kW, or Dareus. I'm not familiar enough with the cap situation to know how a restructuring of Mario would impact things.

I have DE43 ranked high as a positional need for the Bills at DraftTek, and moved it up for the next mock (from P3 to P2 Priority).

• Lawson (vs run) and Hughes (vs pass) combined are one good player if they can somehow fuse their DNA.
  • Branch is old,
  • Ik Igbinosun has been effective vs 2nd and 3rd stringers; I'd like to see what he can do with the ones. He's ranked 2nd of 85 DE43s in preseason by ProFootballFocus (subscription required).
  • Jaquies Smith is a good PS; Jarius Wynn and Bryan Johnson are as good as waived.

Despite having 4 players in PFF's top 25 DTs right now (Cohen, KWilliams, Dareus, Stefan Charles), part of that is strong work against 2nd and 3rd stringers (Landon Cohen, Charles), I have DT43 as a need due to the Dareus situation and Kyle Williams' age. Cohen has been with 1/4 of NFL teams and has never stuck anywhere, and Charles makes me nervous (#2 in most penalties by a DT)

Edited by Astrobot

No kidding...please point out where I said they had to sign him to a "mega-contract?" (Hint: I didn't.)

I actually said quite the opposite.

Somehow, the great teams all find ways to keep their best players. Seattle could let someone like Chris Clemons go, because they had someone waiting in the wings to replace him. Buffalo does not have that replacement waiting for Hughes to walk away.

THAT is the problem here.

No you didn't suggest a mega-contract but if Hughes has a good year he's going to expect one

A pass-rushing defensive end? Yes, absolutely, and that is what I was referring to, as I said.

Clearly, Mario doesn't defend the run very well...nor does anybody on that defensive line. (Or, the defense, for that matter.)

Hughes and the other rushing lineman and LBers are the beneficiary of the double teams that MW draws. When our DBs shoot the gaps the lanes exist because a disproportiate number of blockers are focused on Mario. As far as not defending the run very well a factor in that weakness can also be attributed to the LBers, especially the middle backers. That is why Spikes was signed and Brown was drafted with a relatively high pick.

Why not re-sign him? Mario is getting up there in age, and who else is there as a pass rusher?

When you rush heavy with your front 4 you pretty much have to let guys walk and replace them with high draft picks. Think giants or lions.

You can't afford FA dollars on 4 guys that can hit 10 sacks. If Schwartz is successful, start scouting 1st round lineman. Whether the draft (or our guys production) points one way or the other - I think we are choosing between Hughes and MD soon and replacing the other with a premium pick

AS A PASS-RUSHER.

Not once did I say "Mario Williams sucks against the run."

I said the run defense has sucked since before he arrived, and if he was so good, why hasn't it improved?

Quite a big difference.

Sorry, it didn't come across that way. But to imply you'd get the same production at half the price AS A PASS RUSHER is still off the mark. One has to look at the DE position as a whole.

GO BILLS!!!

Why not re-sign him? Mario is getting up there in age, and who else is there as a pass rusher?

Nailed it. Of the 6 oldest players, two are DE's and 2 are DTs.

8 Moorman, Brian P 38
91 Lawson, Manny DE 30
79 Pears, Erik T 32
95 Williams, Kyle DT 31
94 Williams, Mario DE 29
90 Branch, Alan DT 29

That's why I was saying that the Bills should have seriously considered taking a DE in this past year's draft.

We could have had Stephon Tuitt, but drafting Kouandjio did make sense.

I'd love for the Bills to keep Hughes, but I wouldn't be surprised if he signs for big bucks elsewhere.