Per Chris Brown, Hughes unlikely to be signed if has another good yr

YoloinOhio

The trading of an underperforming Kelvin Sheppard from the Bills for an underperforming player from the Colts was a tremendous deal for the Bills. Whaley deserves a lot of credit for making that deal and Pettine deserves a lot of credit for putting Hughes in the best possible position to succeed.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trading of an underperforming Kelvin Sheppard from the Bills for an underperforming player from the Colts was a tremendous deal for the Bills. Whaley deserves a lot of credit for making that deal and Pettine deserves a lot of credit for putting Hughes in the best possible position to succeed.

Genius !

And we need to keep these guys or upgrade in the draft. I am willing to take a pay cut . anyone with me.

Keep Hughes.

too soon ?

They will have to redo Mario's deal regardless as I think his cap number which is high this year is even higher next year. Dareus is going to command a big contract and Kyle isn't cheap so I would not be surprised by this which is why I was surprised they didn't try to trade him this offseason.

Don't get me wrong I like Hughes and think he needs to be on the field more but if he has another good year someone will end up overpaying for him.

Why not re-sign him? Mario is getting up there in age, and who else is there as a pass rusher?

You have a good point.

The Bills are well below the overall salary cap, so there's room to re-sign guys like Hughes. Kelly the Dog has made a good case about why it would be okay for the Bills to "overspend" on their defensive line.

But even if the objective was to keep the DL within a specific budget, why get rid of Hughes? Why not eliminate the salaries of other, older players instead?

Spending to the cap and winning is one of the many discussions this board has had without closure and alignment. In my opinion, there is often a lag between cap spending and win/loss record because a lot of teams get good before their key players become FA eligible. Hughes heading into FA after the 2014 will be a good test for Whaley/Brandon as executives and how they manage the cap.

To me, cap management is so strategically important for a franchise that is in the process of developing young talent that is on the verge of being FA eligible, i.e. Glenn, Gilmore, Hughes, Dareus and Spiller. Consistently good / great teams make investments in players and positions to create the ability for their team to keep as many of these guys as possible. They also structure contracts to provide the greatest flexibility and exercise all the leverage they have with players in the process.

I was hoping Buffalo would spend to the cap now to create as much room later when these players became FA's. It's still possible with $8M left to spend in 2014 to get Glenn and Gilmore extended, let's hope they do it.

No kidding...please point out where I said they had to sign him to a "mega-contract?" (Hint: I didn't.)

I actually said quite the opposite.

Somehow, the great teams all find ways to keep their best players. Seattle could let someone like Chris Clemons go, because they had someone waiting in the wings to replace him. Buffalo does not have that replacement waiting for Hughes to walk away.

THAT is the problem here.

I think that's kind of an urban myth, so to speak. Good teams find a way to keep some players while letting others go. Thing is, most of them probably have good QBs.

AS A PASS-RUSHER.

Not once did I say "Mario Williams sucks against the run."

I said the run defense has sucked since before he arrived, and if he was so good, why hasn't it improved?

Quite a big difference.

Mario alone shouldn't be responsible for the run-stopping problems. Just like this season, when it's bound to improve markedly, he shouldn't get all the props when it's a success.

Edited by stony

Why and why?

He even said this week that his job has not changed one bit in this scheme.

He's small. He's not a run stopper. His job hasn't changed because he can't do anything else but rush the passer and Schwartz is doing the best he can with a team built to run Pettine's defense. They are not asking him to do more than he can handle basically. When you keep changing schemes every year you end up with players that aren't ideal for what you are trying to do.

Hughes doesn't fit their defensive scheme. He's a good pass rusher but they need an every down DE.

Technically I agree, however, I'd like to see this year play out to make that statement definitive. In addition, all defenses need guys that can rush passer, the issue will be at what price. More than likely, if Hughes has a 10+ sack year, he'll be worth more to another team in a different scheme than he would be to the Bills in this scheme (at least as we think we know it today). Edited by TXBILLSFAN