Per Chris Brown, Hughes unlikely to be signed if has another good yr

YoloinOhio

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to the amount invested in the DL...

Also there is Visor discussion in this link!

@ChrisBrownBills: Fan Friday 8-15 http://t.co/Un5dICtJQL

Not surprising but he could be a tag and trade candidate if he has like a 12 sack season. Some of those teams looking for pass rush would probably be willing to give up a 2nd for a guy that is still young coming off back to back double digit sack season. Maybe Dallas? Edited by Kirby Jackson

That sounded more like he's speculating the Bills wouldn't do it more than having some inside information.

I agree with him that it's unlikely, though, for the reasons he outlined. Gotta get some cheap youth talent there.

Not surprising but he could be a tag and trade candidate if he has like a 12 sack season. Some of those teams looking for pass rush would probably be willing to give up a 2nd for a guy that is still young coming off back to back double digit sack season. Maybe Dallas?

Yeah, that would certainly be an option.

Usually I am a proponent of you cannot spend too much on one position, like Brown is stating, and that is surely the case 90% of the time. The defensive line is possibly different, however. If our front four plays up to its potential and dominates this season, that keeps the need to pay linebackers and defensive backs bigger bucks. I'm not sure any other position has that much of a dramatic effect by paying higher salaries (it's arguable that OL does the same but it's easier to find good cheap OL than it is good cheap DL, especially pass rushers like Hughes).

A good argument could be made about the overall expense of the defense, and therefore keep Hughes, versus the common viewpoint of paying too much per position at the expense of the others.

Yeah, that would certainly be an option.

Usually I am a proponent of you cannot spend too much on one position, like Brown is stating, and that is surely the case 90% of the time. The defensive line is possibly different, however. If our front four plays up to its potential and dominates this season, that keeps the need to pay linebackers and defensive backs bigger bucks. I'm not sure any other position has that much of a dramatic effect by paying higher salaries (it's arguable that OL does the same but it's easier to find good cheap OL than it is good cheap DL, especially pass rushers like Hughes).

A good argument could be made about the overall expense of the defense, and therefore keep Hughes, versus the common viewpoint of paying too much per position at the expense of the others.

Good post, pass rush an impact a game in a manner that not many other positions can. Depending on how this season plays out I am not opposed to bringing Hughes back at all especially if you can restructure Mario to do it.

Let's wait and see who the new owner is before we start making any predictions/assumptions about who may not be here next year. The guys who make those calls could easily be gone.

It is possible. The resource allocation philosophy might change but it's not like they can now spend more money because they have a new owner. With Mario, Kyle and Dareus on the books what % of the cap (regardless of who is making the decision) will go to DL?

I heard something along those lines the other day, its unfortunate, but makes sense. Overinvesting in any one area of the team, will cost you big time in other areas. I think I'd rather sign Dareus as long as he can get his head straight.

If it were me, I'd make him a top priority. That means having a talk with Super Mario, or whatever it takes. I don't know how Mario's contract is set up, but Jerry Hughes is just entering his prime. I mean, the Bills have to look at age here.

He is also our best pass rusher. He is what everybody in the NFL tries to get; a guy who can beat a LOT with some consistency. You just can't replace a guy who can do that, they are very rare, we must keep him if we are to be (and remain) a top club.

I just can't believe Doug Whaley would just let him walk away, that would nuts.

At minimum, we should get a number one draft pick to take the franchise tag off him. He is worth a lot more than a number one pick. Anybody who doesn't think so, you will in a couple months if you pay attention to the line.

Go Bills!

This year they had to replace Byrd and Stevie...next year it could be Hughes and Spiller?

They could probably sign him for half the money of Mario, and get the same production or more.

You cannot keep letting guys go, and drafting their replacements every year, it has gotten them nowhere. Instead of trading Stevie and drafting his replacement, they could have drafted a pass-rusher and kept Stevie.

So, now...they go into next year already having to spend a draft pick on a replacement player.

I just cannot wrap my head around it. :blush:

Why not re-sign him? Mario is getting up there in age, and who else is there as a pass rusher?

Nailed it. Of the 6 oldest players, two are DE's and 2 are DTs.

8 Moorman, Brian P 38
91 Lawson, Manny DE 30
79 Pears, Erik T 32
95 Williams, Kyle DT 31
94 Williams, Mario DE 29
90 Branch, Alan DT 29

This year they had to replace Byrd and Stevie...next year it could be Hughes and Spiller?

They could probably sign him for half the money of Mario, and get the same production or more.

You cannot keep letting guys go, and drafting their replacements every year, it has gotten them nowhere. Instead of trading Stevie and drafting his replacement, they could have drafted a pass-rusher and kept Stevie.

So, now...they go into next year already having to spend a draft pick on a replacement player.

So the production of a DE is measured in sacks? Can't disagree more. Mario Williams is the best player on our team; nobody plays their position as well. I like Hughes a lot, but he doesn't bring the all-around game that Mario does.

GO BILLS!!!

So the production of a DE is measured in sacks? Can't disagree more. Mario Williams is the best player on our team; nobody plays their position as well. I like Hughes a lot, but he doesn't bring the all-around game that Mario does.

GO BILLS!!!

A pass-rushing defensive end? Yes, absolutely, and that is what I was referring to, as I said.

Clearly, Mario doesn't defend the run very well...nor does anybody on that defensive line. (Or, the defense, for that matter.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

That sounded more like he's speculating the Bills wouldn't do it more than having some inside information.

I agree with him that it's unlikely, though, for the reasons he outlined. Gotta get some cheap youth talent there.

while he is speculating, he is also the mouthpiece of the bills in the media. I assume he is very calculated about what he puts out there.

A pass-rushing defensive end? Yes, absolutely, and that is what I was referring to, as I said.

Clearly, Mario doesn't defend the run very well...nor does anybody on that defensive line.

mario is very good against the run.

while he is speculating, he is also the mouthpiece of the bills in the media. I assume he is very calculated about what he puts out there.

mario is very good against the run.

Yet, our run defense has been atrocious since before he got here...and he did nothing to fix it.

Clearly, Mario doesn't defend the run very well...nor does anybody on that defensive line. (Or, the defense, for that matter.)

This is simply not true. I can count on less than one hand all the times MW has not controlled his corner. He's a technical marvel at the position. The problems we've had against the run can be attributed to piss poor LB play more than any other factor. It's why we've turned that group over several years in a row now.

GO BILLS!!!

A couple of thoughts:

-Watkins was never meant to be Stevie's replacement. He was brought here to be one of the top playmakers in the league. Those players are miles apart in terms of talent. That is like saying why would they draft Andrew Luck when they already have Carson Palmer?

Mike Williams is Stevie's replacement. They basically took the $ that they could have applied to Stevie and gave it to MW.

-If they let Spiller go (I wouldn't because he is cheap) they already have Brown to replace him. Running backs only cost you $4M-$5M a year for someone like Spiller. There is no reason not to resign him at the same number that he makes now.

-Mario probably has to restructure to keep this team moving forward.

It is about assembling the best COLLECTION of talent possible. Sometimes you have to rob Peter to pay Paul. No one wants to see Hughes go but at the same time no one wants to see our 2nd best DE be one the 10 highest paid players in the league at that position.

This is simply not true. I can count on less than one hand all the times MW has not controlled his corner. He's a technical marvel at the position. The problems we've had against the run can be attributed to piss poor LB play more than any other factor. It's why we've turned that group over several years in a row now.

GO BILLS!!!

Mario is one of the best in the game against the run.

That's conventional wisdom, not to invest too much in one position, but it's not a law or rule, and in the Bills' case, the smart thing is to sign Hughes to a long-term deal. They have very little money invested in the quarterback position (especially compared to what Brady and Manning are being paid), so there should be plenty of room. Plus, after this season, it may be easier to replace the soon-to-be-overpaid Mario than Hughes, a young player on the rise.

Sign your young players, Bills. You've taken two steps forward: forget the three steps back for once.