Per Chris Brown, Hughes unlikely to be signed if has another good yr

YoloinOhio

Not too soon, I am okay with 3rdand12 taking a pay cut too!!

Well , okay but we need a vote .

Hughes is not a deficient as some have written at run defense. i think thats a perception . Consider what he was asked to do mostly . Because he was very good at it . We dont truly know how JimS will use him or how he fits KDiggz

in practice he kills it. dont mean a thing. But ..

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He might actually be the prototype - Schwartz wants his end to rush not stop the run. That's what spikes is for.

Actually the most important job for a DE in Schwartz's D is keeping contain and funneling everything inside

Technically I agree, however, I'd like to see this year play out to make that statement definitive. In addition, all defenses need guys that can rush passer, the issue will be at what price. More than likely, if Hughes has a 10+ sack year, he'll be worth more to another team in a different scheme than he would be to the Bills in this scheme (at least as we think we know it today).

I used the Cowboys as an example earlier but what is a 10+ sack guy (from TCU) worth to them?!?

He's small. He's not a run stopper. His job hasn't changed because he can't do anything else but rush the passer and Schwartz is doing the best he can with a team built to run Pettine's defense. They are not asking him to do more than he can handle basically. When you keep changing schemes every year you end up with players that aren't ideal for what you are trying to do.

Actually all reports have been that he has been surprisingly good at playing the run in camp. And they have other guys that can play on the run downs anyway. They will let him start the season playing a lot of run downs, too, but Lawson will play a lot of those.

Actually all reports have been that he has been surprisingly good at playing the run in camp. And they have other guys that can play on the run downs anyway. They will let him start the season playing a lot of run downs, too, but Lawson will play a lot of those.

Yea I know he is doing well. I hope he keeps it up. But typically someone with his talents doesn't play that position in this scheme. He's not prototypical but doesn't mean he can't do well

Yea I know he is doing well. I hope he keeps it up. But typically someone with his talents doesn't play that position in this scheme. He's not prototypical but doesn't mean he can't do well

He's exactly the kind of player to fit this scheme. Line up wide with your hand down and as soon as the ball is snapped go like a bat outta hell after the QB or ballcarrier. I'm just curious what makes you think he is not good for this scheme.

If we get Pegula - we remove the self imposed salary caps on coaches, GMs and scouting staffs.

We also likely scrap Ralph's cash to the cap rule and actually play a season where we are not 30million under the cap.

New owner, 4th richest in NFL - he does not buy a championship but we start competing for one without our hands always tied behind our backs !

He's exactly the kind of player to fit this scheme. Line up wide with your hand down and as soon as the ball is snapped go like a bat outta hell after the QB or ballcarrier. I'm just curious what makes you think he is not good for this scheme.

Just what I said previous. He's not the "prototypical" big DE Schwartz might want. And keep in mind none of these guys are "his guys" he's just doing the best with what he inherited. I think if they are going to invest in a DE it's going to be whoever he feels fits his scheme

14 years no playoffs?

No kidding. we need all of them right now and to consider not doing everything in your powers to retain high level and proven talent would be absurd.

I want it now!

SB baby !

Just what I said previous. He's not the "prototypical" big DE Schwartz might want. And keep in mind none of these guys are "his guys" he's just doing the best with what he inherited. I think if they are going to invest in a DE it's going to be whoever he feels fits his scheme

If they can locate and secure that player . I would obviously agree . As i may have mentioned . or not . if they want to draft an upgrade thats fine but these guys hit a home run with Hughes . They dont want to let him go . Maybe Mario will give up his fridge ?

What's going to happen when Schwartz leaves after the season and the Bills go back to a 3-4? Who's the OLB then?

Lawson and Bradham, although we haven't played a 3-4 in quite some time. We rarely, rarely ran a 3-4 last year when a lot of people called it a base 3-4. We hardly ever had 4 LBs, Kiko almost always played in the middle like a 4-3, we basically always had a 4 man line with two ends rushing hard on virtually every play. We rarely had a DT on the nose and almost always had two in there. It boggles my mind how people called that a 3-4 defense, even a base 3-4.

What's going to happen when Schwartz leaves after the season and the Bills go back to a 3-4? Who's the OLB then?

if Schwartz leaves - unlikely Imo - they will run the same scheme with pepper Johnson. I don't have a link offhand but Marrone or Whaley made comments on this during the offseason.

He's small. He's not a run stopper. His job hasn't changed because he can't do anything else but rush the passer and Schwartz is doing the best he can with a team built to run Pettine's defense. They are not asking him to do more than he can handle basically. When you keep changing schemes every year you end up with players that aren't ideal for what you are trying to do.

Again, think of him like a freeney/Mathis in a cover 2, or in schwartzs past a guy like kearse or Avril.... Instead of blitzing he sends the front four to the qb and lets the linebackers stay at home to clean up the run behind them. Anything Hughes brings in the run game is just bonus.

If we get Pegula - we remove the self imposed salary caps on coaches, GMs and scouting staffs.

We also likely scrap Ralph's cash to the cap rule and actually play a season where we are not 30million under the cap.

New owner, 4th richest in NFL - he does not buy a championship but we start competing for one without our hands always tied behind our backs !

Great points.

Ralph respected talented players but wanted nothing to do with high priced coaches. Tried it once with Chuck Knox, butted heads frequently and was criticized by Knox.

After that nothing but first timers and retreads with bad track records who were perhaps more inclined to be micro-managed from Grosse Pointe.

The Bills lack of success during his ownership reign can be boiled down to a lack of emphasis on QB talent and head coaching talent.

Sad to say but they just might let Hughes walk and take a pass rusher next year. Also, maybe they do let spiller walk or franchise him but they won't trade him IMO.

Sad to say but they just might let Hughes walk and take a pass rusher next year. Also, maybe they do let spiller walk or franchise him but they won't trade him IMO.

I used the Cowboys as an example earlier but what is a 10+ sack guy (from TCU) worth to them?!?

I think people are getting ahead of themselves assuming Hughes will get some mega-deal.

I love his pass rush ability but this is not an every down DE and I doubt teams will be convinced of this by a contract year effort.

He is still undersized/small framed.

Pass rushers are at a premium but situational pass rushers do not get $10M contracts.

They get Mark Anderson-type or Seahawks DE-type contracts.

Anything he does will also be colored by the fact that he plays on a line with 3 monster every down DL.......and that's the way it should be.

That all said.......the two most important aspects of the game IMO are QB play first and pass rush second.

When the Bills insisted on keeping their second round pick this year in the Watkins trade I thought for sure that Kony Ealy was going to be that pick if he was there.

I don't pretend to know what the Bills are thinking....like many here.....but as was discussed in this thread when you run a penetrating 4-3 you will always be thirsting for pass rushers and Ealy was that rare kind of every down type pass rushing specimen.

I wasn't down on the Kouandjiou pick.....this draft was so good that you could pick the wrong guy and still end up with an excellent player......but pass rush is such a difference maker.

You can point to the Bills/Rams as teams with poor records that rushed the passer well but in context......the Bills offense was so woeful due to inexperience at key positions and a new system last year that the team probably would have had the #1 overall pick if not for the juice of that pass rush.

It LITERALLY won them games......especially all of the early season wins.

Hughes is definitely an intriguing player entering this season. After the resurgence he had last season with 10 sacks, and the talent surrounding him, you would have to believe he is primed for another 10+ sack season.

He is a prototype DE for Schwartz's defense. His defense calls on the front four dictating the game and for his ends to line up wide (9 tech) & beat the OTs with their speed. That is exactly what Hughes excels at. He will almost always face one on ones with the talent surrounding him; not many teams are going to choose to leave Mario or Kyle one on one. I expect him to have a better season then last year.

If he does keep rolling, you have to resign him. The defensive line is integral in being successful & if you can create pressure with just your front 4, it opens up so many possibilities. Hughes and Dareus are the young studs on the line... you have to keep your young talent around. If I'm going to devote big money to any unit, it's my d-line.

The cap will also jump another 10 million like it did this year so that covers Hughes cap hit.