Manziel watch 2014!

FireChan

If I was Pettine I would be more concerned about how lost Manziel looked out there than his immature gesture. There is no way he is capable of starting right now. This should be an easy call for Pettine, but who knows how much pressure he is under to play the kid.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. If things like that affect either his play or the play of his teammates (or draws a unsportsman penalty maybe?) then yes he needs to "grow up". Otherwise, I have seen people talking crap as they run off the field or back to the huddle for years. This was just that, only non-verbal ;)

do you think that a constant distraction around the team based on their QB not handling himself professionally could effect a team on and off the field?

If I was Pettine I would be more concerned about how lost Manziel looked out there than his immature gesture. There is no way he is capable of starting right now. This should be an easy call for Pettine, but who knows how much pressure he is under to play the kid.

i wonder if the homeless guy that inspired the browns to draft him has weighed in on the topic of who should start?

Reality is his maturity level with all he's handling is light years past most of those criticizing him.

Was it the money sign when he got drafted?

The stupid tweets?

The hanging out with Justin Bieber?

Or the giving his opponents the finger ...

Please ... tell me what indicates that he's handling this well.

From where I am, I see an overrated, self-entitled legend in his own mind and, personally, I can't wait to see him fall flat on his face.

The guy acts like the exact same guy that got him to where he is today, a fearless, confident, charismatic over-achiever and people jump all over him for being immature.

If that's immature, immaturity is what got him drafted in the first round and won him the heisman as a Freshman.

The Redskins guys were taunting him and he taunted them back. Orakpo said all the guys he flipped off were laughing hysterically on the sidelines. They didn't even take offense to it.

I'm not advocating doing it, and he can't because of kids watching games and the NFL can't condone it and he might get penalties that hurt his team. But it's a simple learning curve that he has to try to tone down a touch. Being that guy that did that is what got him here whether you like him or not. I like him. I thought he played like garbage yesterday though and he should have played a lot better.

do you think that a constant distraction around the team based on their QB not handling himself professionally could effect a team on and off the field?

Constant??? But no I don't. But I am definitely not one who puts much stock in "intangibles" in general.

The stupid tweets?

From where I am, I see an overrated, self-entitled legend in his own mind and, personally, I can't wait to see him fall flat on his face.

+1

The stupid tweets?

you forgot the "I can't hear you! I have to much f*#%ing money in my ear!" And the rolled up bill in the Vegas club bathroom. Bad look for a franchise QB. Again maybe he will be great, who knows. His image is a mess though. Doesn't help matters. He will continue to be a target, on and off the field, because of his own actions. Edited by YoloinOhio

The guy acts like the exact same guy that got him to where he is today, a fearless, confident, charismatic over-achiever and people jump all over him for being immature.

If that's immature, immaturity is what got him drafted in the first round and won him the heisman as a Freshman.

The Redskins guys were taunting him and he taunted them back. Orakpo said all the guys he flipped off were laughing hysterically on the sidelines. They didn't even take offense to it.

I'm not advocating doing it, and he can't because of kids watching games and the NFL can't condone it and he might get penalties that hurt his team. But it's a simple learning curve that he has to try to tone down a touch. Being that guy that did that is what got him here whether you like him or not. I like him. I thought he played like garbage yesterday though and he should have played a lot better.

The only QB I can remember acting remotely close to this is Rivers as a rookie. This is far more than a learning curve or being cocky, in my opinion. The only thing that got him where he is, is the undue hype he received for the last couple years. Had he handled himself better, he would've been a first-round pick and likely universally loved. A decent attitude and some maturity may have helped some take a little longer to realize what a crappy QB he is, too.

But he has done nothing but portray himself to be a jerk. And that's because he was just being himself.

If TBD had a feature that locked a thread after recognizing truth and common sense in a post, this thread would be locked on the post above.

Constant??? But no I don't. But I am definitely not one who puts much stock in "intangibles" in general.

when in the last 3 years has there not been something -- the original arrest, the signing issue/suspension, the manning camp being the big national stories...

he hasnt even gotten to the regular season and we have lastnight, the money phone, riding a swan, his coach saying they want him to tone it down.... for the browns its all been little stuff, but its been pretty consistent.

personally, him throwing someone the finger doesn't speak a ton to whether or not he can be a sucessful nfl qb.

that said, the fact that he had a dreadful outing in preseason, with an equally bad veteran ahead of him means that people ought to remember that there is a learning curve for most rookie qb's. everyone said that he had potential, but would likely need time to work on mechanics, get used to the speed of the game.

so bashers on both sides on the ej/jf debate, please remember that.

The only QB I can remember acting remotely close to this is Rivers as a rookie. This is far more than a learning curve or being cocky, in my opinion. The only thing that got him where he is, is the undue hype he received for the last couple years. Had he handled himself better, he would've been a first-round pick and likely universally loved. A decent attitude and some maturity may have helped some take a little longer to realize what a crappy QB he is, too.

But he has done nothing but portray himself to be a jerk. And that's because he was just being himself.

I understand where you're coming from I just don't agree. He didn't get where he is today because of hype, he got it because he was a dynamic fabulous player in college. And he got to be fearless because of that attitude. The same way Jim Kelly did as a player. The only reason he wasn't drafted at the very top of the draft was because of his size. Period. And because of that size scouts and GMs worry, with very good reason, that he won't be able to play that style in the NFL.

I personally think it's moronic to be hanging around Justin beiber. I think the rolled up bill think is about as stupid as you can get. The point is, the brashness and the self confidence he has is exactly what makes him the player he is. Again, it's the same thing that made Kelly fearless. And if he tries to take it away from himself or others take it away from him, he has no chance to succeed as a player.

A little wiser choices? Of course. But he and the Browns are more stupid than the rolled up bill pic if they try to change him. He will suck as a player.

Gug, he was a legend in college. You can act like it's all in his head, but he broke offensive records in the best conference and was the first Freshman Heisman winner. He's not a legend in the NFL, but he has been for 2 years in college.

If TBD had a feature that locked a thread after recognizing truth and common sense in a post, this thread would be locked on the post above.

I agree. It was a good post.

My guess is that the fans of the Saints, Colts, Broncos, NE, Seattle, etc., really aren't nearly as worked up about JM and wishing him so poorly. I wonder why that might be.....

... If that's immature, immaturity is what got him drafted in the first round and won him the heisman as a Freshman. ...

I think it was shattering Cam Newton's SEC record for total offense in a season that won him the Heisman.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree. It was a good post.

My guess is that the fans of the Saints, Colts, Broncos, NE, Seattle, etc., really aren't nearly as worked up about JM and wishing him so poorly. I wonder why that might be.....

You're right. I'm sure they all want their kids seeing a guy giving people the finger.

I don't care about the finger. It just confirms what he is. A spoiled little rich douche. He's been on easy street his whole life. Doesn't surprise me crumbles under the first sign of adversity.

You're right. I'm sure they all want their kids seeing a guy giving people the finger.

I don't care about the finger. It just confirms what he is. A spoiled little rich douche. He's been on easy street his whole life. Doesn't surprise me crumbles under the first sign of adversity.

You just described 90% of major sport professional athletes.

I think it was shattering Cam Newton's SEC record for total offense in a season that won him the Heisman.

GO BILLS!!!

He had to have the confidence and fearlessness and charisma as a leader before he could shatter the record. So that "immaturity" came first. :nana: In retrospect, while it amazed me when I first heard it, now it is no surprise that the Texas fans started calling him "Johnny Football" before he even played one snap.