Manziel watch 2014!

FireChan

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were a browns fan, I'd be even more concerned about that coaching staff. Pettine and shanahan look like the B team

unfortunately (although it is very early) they probably had a better coaching staff last year. Pettine might be a good HC I have no idea yet. But replacing ray Horton and norv turner with Jim Oneill and shanny jr is not an upgrade as far as coordinators.

Who beat out Kevin Kolb? Mike Vick?

EJ Manuel's 2013 preseason qb rating: 112

Kevin Kolb's 2013 preseason qb rating: 58.3

And for comparison, Johnny Hobbit's 2014 qb rating: 77, inflated by a shovel pass touchdown against 3rd stringers.

If I were a browns fan, I'd be even more concerned about that coaching staff. Pettine and shanahan look like the B team

Little Shanahan doesn't have daddy or Kubiak to bail him out anymore.

It's possible, if not likely, that this will be the first year since 2007 that no rookie QBs will start week 1. And this was supposed to be the best QB class in how long...

:)

It's possible, if not likely, that this will be the first year since 2007 that no rookie QBs will start week 1. And this was supposed to be the best QB class in how long...

Could mean that coaches have seen the light regarding starting rookie QBs and decided it was a stupid thing to do in all but the most extreme (Luck) cases.

I know, right? The QB class of 2012 made starting rookie QB's the new thing, but this class will see journeymen QB's start over the rookies. Which IMHO is a mistake.

And for comparison, Johnny Hobbit's 2014 qb rating: 77, inflated by a shovel pass touchdown against 3rd stringers.

Yep, EJ won the job. The rubber mat incident was moot in that regard, but it would have been nice to have Kolb over Lewis or Tuel in the games EJ missed.

I know, right? The QB class of 2012 made starting rookie QB's the new thing, but this class will see journeymen QB's start over the rookies. Which IMHO is a mistake.

Yep, EJ won the job. The rubber mat incident was moot in that regard, but it would have been nice to have Kolb over Lewis or Tuel in the games EJ missed.

Yeah, I love how people act like EJ was handed the job last year and the Bills had no plan at backup qb. Kolb is made out of glass but he is a hell lot more proven than Brian Hoyer.

Yeah, I love how people act like EJ was handed the job last year and the Bills had no plan at backup qb. Kolb is made out of glass but he is a hell lot more proven than Brian Hoyer.

You are correct. Kolb had proven himself to be not able to stay on the field. That was a great Bills decision.

2 years?

GO BILLS!!!

Little Shanahan doesn't have daddy or Kubiak to bail him out anymore.

:)

The competition never finished. EJ won by default by recovering from his injury first.

The competition never finished. EJ won by default by recovering from his injury first.

I think if you go back and look at the media reports it was a unanimous decision that EJ had just flat beat out Kolb in the spring and training camp with or without either's injuries. He was not handed the job. It was a combination of Kolb continually looking flat awful and EJ picking things up fairly quickly and simply outplaying him.

I think if you go back and look at the media reports it was a unanimous decision that EJ had just flat beat out Kolb in the spring and training camp with or without either's injuries. He was not handed the job. It was a combination of Kolb continually looking flat awful and EJ picking things up fairly quickly and simply outplaying him.

I recall this as well. Of course no one knows what could have happened had Kolb not gotten hurt and missed so much time (I remember he also experienced a death in the family that led to missed time and reps).

I recall this as well. Of course no one knows what could have happened had Kolb not gotten hurt and missed so much time (I remember he also experienced a death in the family that led to missed time and reps).

The only ones who think Kolb would have beaten EJ out, a 1st round rookie with a 112 qb rating in his first training camp, are folks with an agenda against Manuel.

I am respectfully disagreeing with your recollection of this series of events.

Kolb played like 3 quarters. Then his career ended. It's hard to say who "won" when EJ was the only healthy QB week one.

For those two weeks when they were both healthy, did EJ play better? Sure. But to act as though he "wrested" control of this team in a glorious competition is a mischaracterization.

Edited by FireChan

Kolb played like 3 quarters. Then his career ended. It's hard to say who "won" when EJ was the only healthy QB week one.

For those two weeks when they were both healthy, did EJ play better? Sure. But to act as though he "wrested" control of this team in a glorious competition is a mischaracterization.

Most of the reports were about what happened day in and day out in the OTAs and then in practice at training camp. Kolb looked as bad as Lewis has played this year. There was hardly one day that any media report said that Kolb looked good, or even decent. Again, it was at least as much that Kolb sucked as it was that EJ "beat him out" but EJ clearly beat him out by both of their play last year.

The only ones who think Kolb would have beaten EJ out, a 1st round rookie with a 112 qb rating in his first training camp, are folks with an agenda against Manuel.

Careful with language like that, you'll get a visit from the mods.

Does that make Marrone/Hackett C team?

Careful with language like that, you'll get a visit from the mods.

Does that make Marrone/Hackett C team?

You do realize that the coaching staff signed Kolb in the first place to start. Meaning, they thought he wold outplay Manuel in camp. I guess they have an agenda against Manuel as well.