Manziel watch 2014!

FireChan

Most of the reports were about what happened day in and day out in the OTAs and then in practice at training camp. Kolb looked as bad as Lewis has played this year. There was hardly one day that any media report said that Kolb looked good, or even decent. Again, it was at least as much that Kolb sucked as it was that EJ "beat him out" but EJ clearly beat him out by both of their play last year.

I'd like to chime in and echo these thoughts. There were audible oohs and ahs from other players at the first OTA last year when EJ came in after Kolb and unleashed several effortless 50 yard bombs. It was an impressive display of the disparity in arm strength between Manuel and the other QBs in attendance. It was almost unfair to Kolb as he just couldn't compete from a physical standpoint. When Manuel started showing a solid grasp of the playbook as well, Kolb was playing catch-up. And that was BEFORE the first training camp practice. Sure, Kolb was listed and ran with the ones initially, but that is standard protocol in the NFL.

The simple fact is, Marrone and Co. would have had a difficult task of selling the rest of the team on starting Kolb given what was so readily apparent in all the practices.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to chime in and echo these thoughts. There were audible oohs and ahs from other players at the first OTA last year when EJ came in after Kolb and unleashed several effortless 50 yard bombs. It was an impressive display of the disparity in arm strength between Manuel and the other QBs in attendance. It was almost unfair to Kolb as he just couldn't compete from a physical standpoint. When Manuel started showing a solid grasp of the playbook as well, Kolb was playing catch-up. And that was BEFORE the first training camp practice. Sure, Kolb was listed and ran with the ones initially, but that is standard protocol in the NFL.

The simple fact is, Marrone and Co. would have had a difficult task of selling the rest of the team on starting Kolb given what was so readily apparent in all the practices.

GO BILLS!!!

I would rather have a qb with tools who might develop and eventually succeed than have a qb lacking in tools who you know right from the start will not in the end get you anywhere. Qbs such as Kolb and Fitz are roster survivors who simply will be nothing more than good backups. When selecting qb prospects you never know for sure whether they will succeed in the pro ranks at their challengin position. What is obvious to everyone, including his critics, is that he is the type of person who has the character and work ethic to do everything that needs to be done to be successful. If it doesn't work out then at least one can say that he did his best.

You do realize that the coaching staff signed Kolb in the first place to start. Meaning, they thought he wold outplay Manuel in camp. I guess they have an agenda against Manuel as well.

Again ... I'm sorry ... but you are mis-remembering this series of events. Kolb wasn't brought in to start. Manuel winning the job was always the goal.

I'll just leave this here.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000230960/article/ej-manuel-takes-hold-of-buffalo-bills-starting-qb-job

Further proof that they just signed sexy rexy to be his tutor and never expect him to take a snap --

@SI_Wire: Report: Johnny Manziel struggling to learn Browns' playbook http://t.co/vyMYOAFoQ1 http://t.co/sxWMsiy5sU

I'm gonna study the playbook...

22775444-1076.jpg

But first, let me take a selfie!!!

I'm glad I wasn't being judged during my first few days on the job. Remember that the real "Johnny Football," aka Unitas, got cut.

And I agree with this 100%. I don't think he will be good in the NFL but it's dumb to say he is a bust at this point.

That said, there are plenty of posters who called EJ a bust last year and stated that Manziel would be a huge upgrade.

Maybe their coaching staff should "dumb down" the playbook for him.....

Another subtle (is it even subtle at this point) to take a shot at the Bills and EJ.

I missed where the Browns were running a no huddle offense and where Johnny Football missed 2 weeks of his first camp.

I'm gonna study the playbook...

22775444-1076.jpg

But first, let me take a selfie!!!

And I agree with this 100%. I don't think he will be good in the NFL but it's dumb to say he is a bust at this point.

That said, there are plenty of posters who called EJ a bust last year and stated that Manziel would be a huge upgrade.

As I posted yesterday--this pretty much sums up the animus against this kid: it's not really about JM here, it's about EJ.....

As I posted yesterday--this pretty much sums up the animus against this kid: it's not really about JM here, it's about EJ.....

Please don't be so dense. The OP is a known EJ basher. His intentions are clear. If Johnny Manziel had EJ's first 2 preseason games of 2013, he would be jumping for joy.

You act like this is the first non-Bills player thread on the board. How many Tebow ones were there?

Some people get sick of the hype machine before they proved a thing.

And if EJ looks better because of the failings of a guy from the far superior Qb class of this year, that's just icing on the cake. :)

Please don't be so dense. The OP is a known EJ basher. His intentions are clear. If Johnny Manziel had EJ's first 2 preseason games of 2013, he would be jumping for joy.

You act like this is the first non-Bills player thread on the board. How many Tebow ones were there?

Some people get sick of the hype machine before they proved a thing.

And if EJ looks better because of the failings of a guy from the far superior Qb class of this year, that's just icing on the cake. :)

Again, this is exactly my point (the bolded part says it all). I was commenting on your response as typical of the guys seeking to feel better about our QB situation thus far by dumping on a kid who, by your admission, has done nothing in the league yet (good or bad).

You do realize that the coaching staff signed Kolb in the first place to start. Meaning, they thought he wold outplay Manuel in camp. I guess they have an agenda against Manuel as well.

You do realize that I was perfectly content with Kolb starting and EJ growing into the role, right?

As I recall, Hackett eliminated plays from the playbook when EJ returned from the 2nd knee injury. The reason was that EJ had missed too much practice time and that they could not get enough new reps on all the plays that had been installed previously.

No, he dumbed it down after the Tampa nightmare.

No, it's about JM and how more than a few people don't think he'll succeed in the NFL. College is over and early returns are not encouraging for JM. I can't imagine what this board would look like if the Bills had drafted him and he played and acted the way he did, against backups no less.

No, he dumbed it down after the Tampa nightmare.

Hackett has just as much to prove as EJ does.