New sale of team thread

Only Bucky could paint a cloud over TPEGS being the owner "for better or worse"

Well Bucky condemns Terry for the inexcusable crime of letting Darcy Regier hang around an extra season or two. God forbid he keeps Whaley and Brandon around, right? Buffalo media, that includes the BN and WGR, know that negativity sells in this town. So they keep feeding the beast. "Yes, Buffalo, we have a dream owner with money to burn on both are teams...but is that REALLY a good thing? :w00t:"

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to troll the author of the Orlando Sentinel column (I'm bored) while taking some of the feedback from you guys. Here is what I sent him:

After reading your Bon Jovi column I could not help but think about how little any of us in New Orleans care about the Orlando Sentinel? I wonder if I would care more if Justin Beiber was "awarded the paper from the community of newspaper owners" (because apparently that is how these sales work). I always thought that the owner sold the team to the next owner? I learned something from you today; I learned that the NFL "awards teams" to people. Thanks!!

Hopefully, if Bon Jovi wins the team the NFL will "award" them to his "ancestors" (like the Fords did) when he dies!! It is really dumb to think that a celebrity is equally qualified to run a business as a BUSINESSMAN worth billions of dollars. It is even dumber to think that the NFL "awards teams" to prospective buyers (they simply confirm ownership). It is dumbest to think that the generations that follow you are your "ancestors" and not your "descendants." When Justin Beiber buys your irrelevant newspaper I hope that he fires you for being such a hack. Other than that keep up the good work!!

Nice! A crowd-sourced takedown. Please do let us know if he gets back to you.

I have several lifelong big time Sabres fans as friends and many do not like Pegula as an owner so far. The main complaint is that he does not think things through he just reacts. The Ehrhoff signing is something they point to as an example. Signing him to a long term big contract as a knee jerk reaction then have the team pay the price.

The thought too among some is that Pegula cares too much about things like pretty locker rooms and harbor centers and not enough about the actual team performance.

I can see the points made, and it is hard to completely disagree if you follow the Sabres closely. But one thing is clear, the Sabres certainly aren't leaving Buffalo while Pegula is the owner. Plus, it is my feeling that the Sabres now may well have turned the corner this off season now that the cancer known as Darcy Regier has been removed and they had a very good draft, FA pickups, and resignings.

LaFontaine had no business being in that position in the first place and ties into what I said above about Pegula being seen as reactionary. He knee jerked that decision it's pretty clear.

Having LaFontaine in a PR role, meeting and greeting fans etc. would be fantastic. But he is not fit, in my opinion anyway, to actually make hockey decisions.

I don't post much over on SabreSpace because I don't follow the inner workings of the NHL nearly as much as I follow the NFL (and the hardcore posters over there are brutal), but these "criticisms" of Pegula sound pretty nit-picky. Recruiting is a part of the game, and making facilities first-class is important. The LaFontaine escapade was a bit embarrassing, but look how quickly it has been swept under the rug and forgotten? Ted Nolan was supposedly crushed when Patty left, but I don't hear him crying now.

I'll stand by my statement that I believe El Pegual is a dream owner.

I decided to troll the author of the Orlando Sentinel column (I'm bored) while taking some of the feedback from you guys. Here is what I sent him:

After reading your Bon Jovi column I could not help but think about how little any of us in New Orleans care about the Orlando Sentinel? I wonder if I would care more if Justin Beiber was "awarded the paper from the community of newspaper owners" (because apparently that is how these sales work). I always thought that the owner sold the team to the next owner? I learned something from you today; I learned that the NFL "awards teams" to people. Thanks!!

Hopefully, if Bon Jovi wins the team the NFL will "award" them to his "ancestors" (like the Fords did) when he dies!! It is really dumb to think that a celebrity is equally qualified to run a business as a BUSINESSMAN worth billions of dollars. It is even dumber to think that the NFL "awards teams" to prospective buyers (they simply confirm ownership). It is dumbest to think that the generations that follow you are your "ancestors" and not your "descendants." When Justin Beiber buys your irrelevant newspaper I hope that he fires you for being such a hack. Other than that keep up the good work!!

Just read the story, The Magic haven't been relevant since Shaq left for greener pastures in LA. I'm sure the author thought he was writing a cute story that the Sr's in Florida would chuckle about.

Bucky's column is small-minded as usual. He proclaims that Pegula overpaid for the Bills because Forbes said the team is worth X. If you look at my posts after that Forbes valuation was released I said it was BS and that the Bills would sell for over a billion. It was obvious to anyone except the Buckster.

Second, people like Pegula play the long game because they can. He knows the Bills are a solid gold investment, even at a $1.3B. Pegula already started the fire of redevelopment around the FNC, something that was supposed to happen automatically according to developers like Larry Quinn, but took an uber-wealthy visionary like Pegula to make happen.

Adding a stadium within ten years to the Canalside/Cobblestone/Larkinville area will just make everything more valuable. Everyone thought Steve Ballmer was nuts paying $2B for the Clippers until you actually studied the numbers and growth potential of the NBA. Then Ballmer looks like a genius.

It's the same thing here, only Bucky "woe is us" Gleason is still selling the tired "Buffalo is a loser's town" narrative. The deal makes no sense to Bucky because Bucky sees only failure in Buffalo. In fact he makes his living shovelling misery. His only reaction to a positive leader like Pegula is to tear him down because it threatens the order of things as Bucky sees them.

I have several lifelong big time Sabres fans as friends and many do not like Pegula as an owner so far. The main complaint is that he does not think things through he just reacts. The Ehrhoff signing is something they point to as an example. Signing him to a long term big contract as a knee jerk reaction then have the team pay the price.

The thought too among some is that Pegula cares too much about things like pretty locker rooms and harbor centers and not enough about the actual team performance.

I can see the points made, and it is hard to completely disagree if you follow the Sabres closely. But one thing is clear, the Sabres certainly aren't leaving Buffalo while Pegula is the owner. Plus, it is my feeling that the Sabres now may well have turned the corner this off season now that the cancer known as Darcy Regier has been removed and they had a very good draft, FA pickups, and resignings.

LaFontaine had no business being in that position in the first place and ties into what I said above about Pegula being seen as reactionary. He knee jerked that decision it's pretty clear.

Having LaFontaine in a PR role, meeting and greeting fans etc. would be fantastic. But he is not fit, in my opinion anyway, to actually make hockey decisions.

Isn't that always the case with us? It's not enough that TP is the owner we always said we wanted. He has to do it EXACTLY the way we envision, which changes from day to day. We always find fault with everything, and that is the saddest thing. We can't enjoy our good fortune.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Is it me or does the national media seem to be about 3 days behind on this story? Colin Cowherd just had Peter King on and said "so, three parties are expected to bid on the bills?"

Dan Patrick has had Mike Florio and Rich Eisen on in the last two days talking about it. Cowturd will tell you he doesn't care about Buffalo.

Is it me or does the national media seem to be about 3 days behind on this story? Colin Cowherd just had Peter King on and said "so, three parties are expected to bid on the bills?"

Technically, I thought the official bids have not yet been submitted. Those were to just get in the door as a finalist before the final bids are placed.

5f2e8f1b4685dd0380c60e8950336cec_bigger.jpegTim Graham@ByTimGraham 17s

Two sources deeply plugged into the Bills sale process have told me every bid number that has been reported so far is wrong.

That could mean wrong by hundreds of millions or wrong by a few bucks. Which is it, Tim? I get the feeling he and John Kryk have their own little pissing match. Everytime Kryk reports something, Timmah tweets back something that suggests Kryk is wrong.

That could mean wrong by hundreds of millions or wrong by a few bucks. Which is it, Tim? I get the feeling he and John Kryk have their own little pissing match. Everytime Kryk reports something, Timmah tweets back something that suggests Kryk is wrong.

It sure does seem like it, and wouldn't be unlike him. Here's something encouraging.

Both sources tell me reported $1.2 billion bid from Toronto group is quite higher than reality.

It sure does seem like it, and wouldn't be unlike him. Here's something encouraging.

45]

Both sources tell me reported $1.2 billion bid from Toronto group is quite higher than reality.

So mr TG, tell us how far off El Pegual's bid was. It drives me nuts how vague he is

And truthfully I don't give a care in the world what the TO bid is, as long as it's less than El Pegual's

Graham's info is no different than what Kryk reported yesterday:

http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/nfl/bidding-war-what-bidding-war-if-reports-of-pegulas-first-bid-are-true-toronto-group-cant-match-it-sources/

"Maybe that first bid was as high as $1 billion, sources said, but more likely it was in the $800-million to $900-million range."

So how is Kryk wrong?

Here's the letter I just sent to that d-bag about his ignorant journalism!

Mr. Whitley,

I assume your column is nothing more than entertainment as it has no true source of real journalism. The Buffalo Bills don't need any "spark" from outside of WNY where they belong. Please do us the favor of not spreading you anti Buffalo comments or beliefs as it undermines any credibility you do have. Terry Pegula is a self-made Billionaire that not only owns the Buffalo Sabres, but is doing an amazing job of rebuilding Buffalo from the inside out. A man of purpose and substance, unlike the "celebrity" of Jersey Jon. I'm sure you still have some real journalistic talent in you somewhere. Try focusing it on what the Buffalo Bills are, what they mean to the people and city of Buffalo. It's more than a sports team, it's an integral part of the identity and fabric of the community who's LOYALTY cannot be questioned. Ridicule us all you'd like (prob because you've not spent any considerable time there), but make no mistake the Buffalo Bills are a viable franchise in the only city it's ever called home and will be for years to come. The fans are some of the best in the league and that's saying something with the product that's been on the field the past decade+. Buffalo gets hammered for being "small market" because the NFL refuses to count the Canadian fans just on the other side of the river. How many other NFL teams would be considered "small market" if you took away 1/2 of their geographical fanbase?? Make that piece whole and you'd see the Buffalo Bills fanbase/market as one of the top 5 in the NFL. Shocking to you? Well it wouldn't be so if you did some research. Take care from sunny South Florida where there is no such loyalty because nobody is actually from there. Good day sir, and GO "BUFFALO" BILLS.

Regards,

Tim McDonell

Tim McDonell, SMSgt, USAF

Command Expeditionary Engineer Program Manager HQ AMC/A7XO

DSN: 779-0707

Comm: 1 618-229-0707

NIPR: timothy.mcdonell@us.af.mil

SIPR: timothy.mcdonell@us.af.smil.mil