What`s up with Marrone?

Just watched presser and then noticed this thread. I agree with most posters, the presser was odd and awkward, it's almost like Marrone hasn't decided on what personality he wants to show the public. Does he want to be Mr. Congeniality (providing too much information, joking with the press) or does he want to be Bill Belichick ? Just pick one, geez.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't know what to make of Doug Marrone. I want to like him, but I find him hard to listen to, I don't think he has proven a thing as a coach yet. I like some of the reasoning for his demeanor here, I just wish I could buy them. He has always struck me (or at least since coming to Buffalo) as fairly negative and thin-skinned. I don't mind at all the notion that he just wants his team to be serious about winning, pre-season or not, but then, he doesn't really do anything to help insure that his team wins. It may be nothing (and really it is), but if he was so serious about winning the HOF game, why end the game, down by four points, with time-outs to burn. And why play a game of "playing not to get hurt" with your QB, who could use some work? All this might be cool, if from time to time, I haven't found myself wondering what the !@#$ Marrone is thinking along the sidelines, during real, regular season games. Seems he could use all the practice he can get, knowing how to manage timeouts, paly inside two minutes, etc etc. If you want your young team to keep their eye on the prize, play to win at all coats, and all the other clichés, you should probably coach the same way. I am not suggesting something like putting first stringers in in the fourth quarter, but use these preseason games to work out all the kinks with your team, and your coaching staff, rather than treating them like, you know, meaningless exhibitions. The Bills aren't good enough to waste opportunities like these. This isn't the Seahawks or the Broncos....and to whoever suggested that Marrone doesn't want his team to have built in excuses for losing, that sounds great, but I think Marrone does it all the time...I am fully behind EJ Manuel, but Marrone makes excuses for him at every turn.

Excellent post. EJ should have played the 1st qtr of that game, what is it 4 series maybe? Eli played more than EJ and he is a 2 time SB MVP! The mentality has to change across the board, it doesn't help if 1 guys get it and the others don't.

Excellent post. EJ should have played the 1st qtr of that game, what is it 4 series maybe? Eli played more than EJ and he is a 2 time SB MVP! The mentality has to change across the board, it doesn't help if 1 guys get it and the others don't.

For crying out loud, Eli played more than 2 series because the first one was a 3-and-out, and the second one ended quickly with a sack/fumble turnover. Plus, they're installing a completely new offense. "Obviously" their group needed more work, they weren't going to let them finish the night that way.

Excellent post. EJ should have played the 1st qtr of that game, what is it 4 series maybe? Eli played more than EJ and he is a 2 time SB MVP! threw 27 INTs last year, is installing a brand new offense, and couldn't move the ball against the 1st team D.

Fixed it for you

No, it's not. Bills have 5 preseason games this year. Plenty of time to practice.

Since we've got a 4 page thread on Marrone's presser attitude, but no link to the presser itself, thought I'd add that:

http://www.buffalobi...anshare:twitter

Did most in this thread even watch this? Personally I thought it was funny - obviously Marrone doesn't want to say anything about anyone (maybe he likes that we're flying under the radar?), but he was smiling and even laughing while on the mic. Hardly him being a jerk...

Since we've got a 4 page thread on Marrone's presser attitude, but no link to the presser itself, thought I'd add that:

http://www.buffalobi...anshare:twitter

Did most in this thread even watch this? Personally I thought it was funny - obviously Marrone doesn't want to say anything about anyone (maybe he likes that we're flying under the radar?), but he was smiling and even laughing while on the mic. Hardly him being a jerk...

I don't know how you can watch that and not come away thinking that it was an antagonistic PC. Yes there were a couple of stupid questions, or at least they sounded as if Chris Farley was doing the interviewing. But not all questions were stupid.

Fixed it for you

That make you feel better? They had no OL or running game last year. Pay attention buddy.

No, it's not. Bills have 5 preseason games this year. Plenty of time to practice.

I am not sure what you saw in the sample size but in this instance more is more.

I know Mike Schopp is a scourge here, but I liked his take in this whole new "surley Marrone" persona. He said, essentially, "people seemed impressed by his long winded explanations to most questions last year, and now they are upset that he is giving short answers. I say, "who cares"? Whether the answers to questions are short, or long, he is only going to tell you what he wants to tell you, you aren't going to get anything out of him...so who cares if he is "nice" or terse with your answers.

Schopp is right. It may also lend some insight into Schopp as well.

I heard this as well and thought this was the right take. I really do not care what he says anymore - it is about results on the field. He was equally short and snippy in the PC after the game. Good for him. Just teach them how to win, and all will be right with the world.

How Marrone handles the press doesn't directly matter very much. It will piss off the press corps, and that's not necessarily good for his career, but the much bigger factor on his career prospects is his W-L record, and that's unaffected here. BUT! His W-L record is 6-10. That's bad. Guys like Belichick or Popovich can get away with being surly a-holes to anyone with a microphone because they've built up a ton of caché through winning. Marrone doesn't get that same caché, nor does he deserve it at this point.

Did you notice it was Nassib who lit up the 2nd/3rd String secondary for that 76 yard bomb? Oddjida making.

I must say I'm a little dissapointed in TBDers. I was anticipating when I looked at the site on Monday that I would have seen at least one, we should have drafted Nassib instead of EJ thread. Nothing.

After Nassib came in after the first two plays I asked, who is that QB, he looks really good. Laughed when my wife said it was Nassib. That jump pass was sweet. He really sucked last year.

John Wawrow@john_wawrow 1m

Have confirmed that #Bills coach Marrone's terseness was a result of lingering frustrations over preseason-opening loss. End of story.

Way to read between the lines John. Thanks Obvious Man.

But his iPad doesn't work.

It's a shame that a sourpuss like Maiorana gets in a snit at a HC who is curt with his answers and surly about his team losing when he will be the first to get fired if he doesn't make this team a winner. Meanwhile Sal will still yuck it up with his cohorts and chew the same cud when the next HC arrives.

Al Davis said it best. Just win baby!

Edited by Nanker

With a few exceptions (Coach Sal, Joe B, Mark Gaughn) local media is a joke. I love how bent out of shape about Marrone's professionalism when they don't act professional themselves. Jerry Sullivan called Mario a loser on the radio before last year. Tom Graham gets in twitter fightS and act like a douchebag in an interview with EJ. Mike Schoop would rather talk about tennis. It's a joke.

A lot of this reporters are the geeks in high school who were jealous of athletes. Now they get to hide behind a tape recorder, take shots at people, make awful predictions that they don't get held accountable for, & then they cry when they get some of their own medicine back.

P.s. I don't remember this happening to real reporters like Allen Wilson or Vic carruci.

Coach Marrone is a strange cat. Someone said he is being compared to Bill Bellyache. When I watched the post game PC that's what came to mind for me. Not a bad thing necessarily.

Then the whole bit about being mad we didn't win. I always thought pre season is about evaluating players. All he would say about that was they had a lot of work to do.

may be it's just the reverse psychology coach thing. Whatever it is, I sure hope it works.

He's made a lot of odd decisions so far. I'm not sold. Wins/playoffs will sell me big time though.

Go BILLS !!!

If Maroon wanted to "win" so bad, he should have kept the starters in for a series longer like the Giants did.

On the highlights they show Eli leading a scoring drive but never mention that it was against our 2nd string defense.

As far as Marrone goes with the media, my take on it goes both ways. I like that he's upset cuz it shows frustration and emotion we haven't seen from recent Bills coaches, but on the flipside it shows immaturity and unprofessionalism (don't know if that's a word).

It's a tough one to decipher because, how can you get mad at a guy for giving a stupid answer to a stupid question?

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz