What`s up with Marrone?

Ha - they are talking about Marrone on WGR right now. They said they think the pressure is getting to him and he is a much different guy than last year. Evident since the first night practice.

Sounds like the media are the one's who are butt hurt. I honestly like that he was short with them considering the lack of intelligent questions he was asked.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I noticed a big change in his appearance last season, just between week 1 and week 17.

Heading a losing program will do that to a guy.

Eh, this is nothing. Who cares if Marrone won't talk to the press? All they do is look for crap to trip you on. He has enough to worry about.

This.

Put yourself in his position...would you want to answer questions from Sullivan, Gleason, Graham,.....everyday?

+1

That 76 yard TD bomb that won the game for the Jints had to gall him. You know it did.

That was the difference in the game.

Frankly, I hope he gets mad and stays mad if the team doesn't develop into a winning club.

@JeremyWGR: Really actually upset about losing a preseason game. Why? Who would be? He was legit mad about it. To me that’s very strange.

Heading a losing program will do that to a guy.

This.

+1

That 76 yard TD bomb that won the game for the Jints had to gall him. You know it did.

That was the difference in the game.

Frankly, I hope he gets mad and stays mad if the team doesn't develop into a winning club.

maybe it triggered his PTSD from Justin Rogers? Edited by YoloinOhio

I have no doubt that answering "stupid questions' every day is likely very tedious...but what are "smart questions" or "good questions" they can ask? Why does the NFL bother to mandate that their employees talk to the press at all?

Two things.

One, I think it's great that the coach got mad at the way the team played on Sunday. He should. They played poorly against a team in full transition.

Two, there's no benefit to Marrone getting snippy with the press. At least Coughlin had some body of work behind his surliness. He doesn't owe the press anything, but they don't owe him anything else in return. Which means they won't have to hold back on any criticism of his coaching abilities. Like it or not, but a lot of the fans' views are colored by what they read in the press. And if Marrone continues to antagonize the press corps, which he seems to be doing well in this camp, then he shouldn't be surprised when every move is put through a microscope. It's Media Relations 101.

That's exactly what I sound like when my wife nags me.

Two things.

One, I think it's great that the coach got mad at the way the team played on Sunday. He should. They played poorly against a team in full transition.

Two, there's no benefit to Marrone getting snippy with the press. At least Coughlin had some body of work behind his surliness. He doesn't owe the press anything, but they don't owe him anything else in return. Which means they won't have to hold back on any criticism of his coaching abilities. Like it or not, but a lot of the fans' views are colored by what they read in the press. And if Marrone continues to antagonize the press corps, which he seems to be doing well in this camp, then he shouldn't be surprised when every move is put through a microscope. It's Media Relations 101.

all Marrone owes the press is the time mandated by the NFL, and a winner. To me, sounds like he is on focused on that. Edited by JaxBills

Two things.

Two, there's no benefit to Marrone getting snippy with the press. It's Media Relations 101.

I agree on both points and would like to add one more.

I am getting mildly concerned about his handling of Woods. Two reasons why putting him on the 2's may be justified: (1) Marrone is trying to juggle the combinations and he already knows Woods' versatility (2) he is trying to find the best positions for others such as Hogan.

If it is a disciplinary action, it better be for good reason. Besides some minor anger issues (didn't a lot of us want players with fire in their belly ?) I have not seen anything from RW that would indicate behavior issues.

No matter what, it would not hurt for him to simply state what he is doing and get all the angst behind him. Again, he does not OWE us a response, but there doesn't appear to be any good reason to be so vague about it.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I have no doubt that answering "stupid questions' every day is likely very tedious...but what are "smart questions" or "good questions" they can ask? Why does the NFL bother to mandate that their employees talk to the press at all?

I agree. These press conferences are every bit as useless as post game locker room interviews. Nothing new or of interest is ever learned and rarely said. It's endless cliche fishing.

Put yourself in his position...would you want to answer questions from Sullivan, Gleason, Graham,.....everyday?

Especially if you know what a tool like Graham is already thinking. Yesterday Graham tweeted something to the effect of "Been so busy covering ownership story, finally got to my first practice, and it looked like the team's first practice, too."

I understand he feels the need to do this so he can have patty-cake twitter battles with people so his fans can fawn over his clever retorts, but I have to imagine it's a pain in the ass to field questions from people who openly and consistently rejoice in your team's losses and failures. This is why people like Wawrow get the stories and people like Graham report on the Wawrow stories.

I know Mike Schopp is a scourge here, but I liked his take in this whole new "surley Marrone" persona. He said, essentially, "people seemed impressed by his long winded explanations to most questions last year, and now they are upset that he is giving short answers. I say, "who cares"? Whether the answers to questions are short, or long, he is only going to tell you what he wants to tell you, you aren't going to get anything out of him...so who cares if he is "nice" or terse with your answers.

Schopp is right. It may also lend some insight into Schopp as well.