Steve Tasker hit it on the nail.

seq004

Schopp was interviewing him and I apologize for not adding the link on my phone, but asked about the Bills current team and I'm paraphrasing he said "is there anyone willing to start a fist fight for the sake of winning?" He mentioned Thurman, Jim, Kent, and Darryl as being vocal and in 89 when it was the "Bickering Bills" it was the best thing that could have happened, because after that they all expected nothing but the best from eachother which ment sacrifice. This tean has talent but you need some leaders.

Schopp was interviewing him and I apologize for not adding the link on my phone, but asked about the Bills current team and I'm paraphrasing he said "is there anyone willing to start a fist fight for the sake of winning?" He mentioned Thurman, Jim, Kent, and Darryl as being vocal and in 89 when it was the "Bickering Bills" it was the best thing that could have happened, because after that they all expected nothing but the best from eachother which ment sacrifice. This tean has talent but you need some leaders.

robert woods enjoys a good fist fight!

• Fredex, Kyle Williams, and Eric Wood without a doubt. Watch and listen to the vitriol especially Wood and Williams have after significant losses. They are this team. Now we need a winning synergy on offense. i'm so sick of us as anemic as we perform on the offensive side of the ball especially in the pass.
  • I still hold out for high hopes this year with additions on the line and WR. to watch 3 and out as much as we've suffered for over a decade is so embarrassing.

I do not see Kyle Williams as the get in your face and lead you type like I see in other big leaders. I think he is a leader but I think he needs an Alpha-leader to really bring out his best.

If Spikes can be the one to grab your mask and tell you to get your head out of your ass, that play was all on you - yeah, that's where KW comes in. He'll get your back, he'll be there next play and you know he will. You know he's got your back and he's not going to let you fail - and then Spikes will come right in there, light up the back and say one of those "see there, brah, see there, you done it. way to be my brah brah."

Anyone who doesn't realize the leadership Mario Williams offers this team is blind and has not played a significant amount of team sports. He doesn't have to say anything, he doesn't have to show you anything, and you do not have to tell him anything. MW is going to get the job done over and over again and he will give his all - and even when he doesn't he is usually still the best player on the field. MW's leadership to the field is like weights in front of your tractor; they're there all the time and always working, they keep their end down and lighten the load up for everything else.

Your contribution to this thread has underachieved immensely. And also, Hollywood Hogan greatly underachieved in WCW.

Don't you dare diss the Hulkster.

They need their best players to be their leaders. Certain guys aren't vocal and that's fine. I think Aaron Williams would've had very little standing in the locker room before performing last season. Spikes and him I think add a level of toughness to the d. Jackson and Wood would be the leaders on offense. With the youth on offense I think guys should be able to become leaders. If Watkins is as good as expected then this year he's a rookie next season a leader hopefully.

Until they win guys are bad teammates. Once they win they get in the face of teammates they're leaders.

I do not see Kyle Williams as the get in your face and lead you type like I see in other big leaders. I think he is a leader but I think he needs an Alpha-leader to really bring out his best.

If Spikes can be the one to grab your mask and tell you to get your head out of your ass, that play was all on you - yeah, that's where KW comes in. He'll get your back, he'll be there next play and you know he will. You know he's got your back and he's not going to let you fail - and then Spikes will come right in there, light up the back and say one of those "see there, brah, see there, you done it. way to be my brah brah."

Anyone who doesn't realize the leadership Mario Williams offers this team is blind and has not played a significant amount of team sports. He doesn't have to say anything, he doesn't have to show you anything, and you do not have to tell him anything. MW is going to get the job done over and over again and he will give his all - and even when he doesn't he is usually still the best player on the field. MW's leadership to the field is like weights in front of your tractor; they're there all the time and always working, they keep their end down and lighten the load up for everything else.

Word!

I just listened to Stevie comments. And he was right.

Would you say Mario Williams is a true leader? I think without naming any names this is what Stevie is talking about. Mario maybe is the most gifted player on the team, and even is getting paid like it, but does he lead the team like say Talley did.

You need your BEST players to team the team by the throat and demand we will not lose.

I love the fact he said they have to be militant to win.

I think maybe Kyle Williams needs to be so pissed off about losing he needs to call some of these guys out, not maybe in the media but closed door, keep it in the fam.

I know the team is tired of losing. Freddie has to be as well. Maybe somebody needs to be the guy in the locker room to do it.

But Stevie nailed it. Best interview I heard in a LONG time.

Spikes might be the guy to show them how to win, his name skipped my mind. Maybe he will show them.

They tried the character thing for over a decade and it got them nothing. I will take Dareus, a ProBowl and two arrests thank you very much. You can only lead if you have talent or experience. The only players that qualify are Fred, Mario, Wood, and Kyle. Mario is not a leader. Fred is a platoon 30 year old RB that fumbles too much. Wood and Kyle might be the guys you are looking for as leaders.

But we all know what needs to happen. EJ needs to throw for 4200 yards and 32 touchdowns this year. Leadership problem solved!

Every team is different. The bickering Bills thing worked for them sort of. They didn't get really good til the next year when they stopped bickering. The Sea hawks don't really do that. They do more of a team unity us against the world kind of thing. The 1970s Cowboys didn't do that sort of bickering thing either.

Just because it worked 20 years ago for that team doesn't necessarily mean it's what this team needs to do.

Every team is different. The bickering Bills thing worked for them sort of. They didn't get really good til the next year when they stopped bickering. The Sea hawks don't really do that. They do more of a team unity us against the world kind of thing. The 1970s Cowboys didn't do that sort of bickering thing either.

Just because it worked 20 years ago for that team doesn't necessarily mean it's what this team needs to do.

the point tasker was trying to make was that the best players on that bills team demanded your best effort and would not tolerate anything less. players that were not giving their best were called out and that's why they became the bickering bills. eventually, everyone that was not on board with this was replaced, thus making for a closer bond between teammates all sharing the same desire to win.

also, tasker did say that not every team needs to go through the "bickering bills" phase, he was just retelling a story of his own experience. but the point about leadership and accountability i think carries a lot of weight.

Edited by swnybillsfan

Bingo.

And you know what really helps (and Tasker alludes to this in the interview), a collection of all-time great talents on the same team.

There's nothing particularly earth-shattering about what Tasker said. Marrone said it when he got here. The coaching staff can only do so much to demand performance and accountability -- great teams self-police. That's what has to happen within "the room" to escape the culture of being "ok" with losing. We can only hope this is happening behind the scenes, because it isn't anything we're going to see on the practice field or at the stadium for ourselves.

If I had to predict, I see guys like Spikes, Aaron Williams, and Eric Wood being those guys. Maybe Corey Graham and Boobie Dixon. I also expect it out of someone like Sammy Watkins, and I think Robert Woods has a bit of "get in your face" to him. This may come as a surprise to some, but I think Mike Williams could be a vocal leader as well.

There's nothing particularly earth-shattering about what Tasker said. Marrone said it when he got here. The coaching staff can only do so much to demand performance and accountability -- great teams self-police. That's what has to happen within "the room" to escape the culture of being "ok" with losing. We can only hope this is happening behind the scenes, because it isn't anything we're going to see on the practice field or at the stadium for ourselves.

Marrone once told CJ to tell the o line they aren't blocking properly. Something like.... The difference between you and me is I would get in their face. That's a good message

Marrone once told CJ to tell the o line they aren't blocking properly. Something like.... The difference between you and me is I would get in their face. That's a good message

Really? If that's true, then this gives me hope. Maybe this will instill some leadership in these guys. They got to force their will upon that line if they want to get better.

I'd like a team leader to be a veteran with a few more NFL seasons completed with the Bills, have a high level of play and be able to motivate people. Average players and rookies aren't the types who command respect from others, so aside from Eric Wood and Fred Jackson, I don't see anyone vocal enough to get people going.

And there still isn't one guy on this team at a Kelly or Darryl Talley level right now. Someone needs to step up or else when things get difficult, you'll see no one filling the leadership void. In theory, it should be the QB, but I'm not sure he has the personality to do so. And he certainly doesn't have the on-field to success to command respect. Not yet at least.

Edited by BillsVet

robert woods enjoys a good fist fight!

They had one the other night at practice after the rain delay , not exactly sure who it was but it was a good one for as long as it lasted .

I think it was number 67 that was doing the swinging ??

I'm surprised about the Kyle William comments. I see a lot of signs that Kyle is very respected by his teammates a leader.

Why do you guys think calling out your teammates in the media is a sign of leadership? What makes you think he's not calling them out behind the scenes?

I'm surprised about the Kyle William comments. I see a lot of signs that Kyle is very respected by his teammates a leader.

Why do you guys think calling out your teammates in the media is a sign of leadership? What makes you think he's not calling them out behind the scenes?

I know for a fact that KW has gotten in Dareus' grill on several occasions since his rookie year.

Leadership comes in many different forms. Perhaps the one common element is the talent to back up any particular style of leadership.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't see any players that are willing to get in there face for performance and motivation or lack there of other than Eric Wood. They have rah rah guys but they don't have players that won't accept losing.

Edited by seq004

I don't see any players that are willing to get in there face for performance and motivation or lack there of other than Eric Wood. They have rah rah guys but they don't have players that won't accept losing.

We don't know that yet. This team is minus a few and plus a few from last year. The FO was pretty upfront about wanting to bring in players from winning programs. Spikes, C Graham, Dixon... plus the draft picks... give it a look see this year and maybe things are a little different.

A Winner is an ex-loser who got mad.

Go find some Kyle clips when he's miked up and tell me again the guy isn't an alpha leader. He's an animal and more than willing to get in teammate's faces. Boys from the bayou don't mess around.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Bills-Focus-Kyle-Williams-Wired-For-Sound/84de6c8e-bfe1-4e53-a712-5cb2a8ab9a11

(this is from last year, there are better ones out there)

I know for a fact that KW has gotten in Dareus' grill on several occasions since his rookie year.

Leadership comes in many different forms. Perhaps the one common element is the talent to back up any particular style of leadership.

GO BILLS!!!

Not to mention, JoeB said he was one of the few guys he's seen in practice and games get vocal with guys.

I'd like a team leader to be a veteran with a few more NFL seasons completed with the Bills, have a high level of play and be able to motivate people. Average players and rookies aren't the types who command respect from others, so aside from Eric Wood and Fred Jackson, I don't see anyone vocal enough to get people going.

And there still isn't one guy on this team at a Kelly or Darryl Talley level right now. Someone needs to step up or else when things get difficult, you'll see no one filling the leadership void. In theory, it should be the QB, but I'm not sure he has the personality to do so. And he certainly doesn't have the on-field to success to command respect. Not yet at least.

I have been saying this for years. The Bills as a whole are fill of nice guy that don't get into trouble.

Maybe there are not enough guys on the club that play with " I'm gonna kick your ass all day " mode.

I see a little of that coming from A.Williams. Woods has a mean streak as well. Maybe Eric Wood.

But the player who may have the most is the smallest guy on the team. and that's Robley.

That guy is all Heart. Just wish he was bigger.

I hope that Spikes can show them what it takes coming from the Pats.

Edited by Bufcomments

If you haven't heard it, go to WGR's site and listen, it was a great interview.

One of the things I found curious was that Tasker named Kelly, Thurman, Hull and Talley as team leaders and the most vocal. Notably absent was Bruce Smith, which made me draw parallels to Mario Williams. I don't envision Mario being a team leader I think on defense it will be Kyle Williams, Aaron Williams and eventually Alonso and Gilmore.