C J Spiller

Running back C.J. Spiller is able to become a free agent after this season. Speaking to reporters following his first offseason workout, Spiller dropped a line that could send shivers down Bills fans' spines.

"It's my first rodeo. I'll take advice from guys that have been there before. I'll reach out to Jairus [byrd] and see how he handled it," Spiller said. "I haven't talked to him. I've seen him this offseason but I will [reach out] eventually."

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/8959/spiller-will-hire-agent-reach-out-to-byrd

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running back C.J. Spiller is able to become a free agent after this season. Speaking to reporters following his first offseason workout, Spiller dropped a line that could send shivers down Bills fans' spines.

"It's my first rodeo. I'll take advice from guys that have been there before. I'll reach out to Jairus [byrd] and see how he handled it," Spiller said. "I haven't talked to him. I've seen him this offseason but I will [reach out] eventually."

http://espn.go.com/b...ach-out-to-byrd

Old news. CJ doesn't even have an agent, and he has remarked on more than one occasion how he'd like to stay in Buffalo. He's not Byrd.

Bills RB C.J. Spiller not worried about contract, still looking for agent

Spiller is also currently without an agent. He's taking his time finding one because of important contract negotiations in the not-so distant future.

"I'm in the process right now," Spiller said. "I'll definitely have one soon."

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/07/cj_spiller_contract_agent.html

Old news. CJ doesn't even have an agent, and he has remarked on more than one occasion how he'd like to stay in Buffalo. He's not Byrd.

what if he hires Eugene Parker ?

CJ can become a free agent after this season. I believe he will absolutely want to test free agency and has no plans to give the Bills any kind of home town discount. in fact, I don't think he wants to be here.

And so it begins again with a different player. Same made up BS.

Why do Bills fans do this? Maybe its any fan base, but it always seems like Bills fans are mentally preparing to be passed over by every player and their mother.

Edited by What a Tuel

And so it begins again with a different player. Same made up BS.

Why do Bills fans do this? Maybe its any fan base, but it always seems like Bills fans are mentally preparing to be passed over by every player and their mother.

really?

Why do fans always do the opposite and assume that the player wants to be here? BecauE they read in some article that the player said that once? That's just being nice. That's just saying the right things so that the fans make it hard in the FO to make sure they offer top dollar so they don't lose him. Jairus Byrd said he wanted to be here too. So did many others.

At the end of the day it's about production and money from either side. CJ doesn't out up enough production to be paid top dollar and that's what he's going to want in his first and probably only big contract.

The cj spiller whisperer sees right through Cj's fake I want to stay here facade.

I'm simply stating that ANY player is going to say all the right things. Over NEVER seen a player say "ya know, I just don't want to be here so I'm going to test FA" have you?

I'm even gonna break out my old Lee Evans jersey out of the back of the closet to show support for 83. Different name but the number covers it a little bit.

And you guys thought I hated Evans too. How funny is that, I've got an Evans jersey and a CJ jersey and I believe both were over rated by Bills fans. Still doesn't mean I didn't like them as players or support them. Just a little tidbit for everyone that thinks I HATE CJ.

I'm even gonna break out my old Lee Evans jersey out of the back of the closet to show support for 83. Different name but the number covers it a little bit.

And you guys thought I hated Evans too. How funny is that, I've got an Evans jersey and a CJ jersey and I believe both were over rated by Bills fans. Still doesn't mean I didn't like them as players or support them. Just a little tidbit for everyone that thinks I HATE CJ.

I've also heard you hate beer, tacos, and chicken wings too.

do I have to look for pics of me sloshy drunk surrounded by Mighty Taco wrappers and wing bones and blue cheese?

I suppose you don't have to, but hey, I'd be amused.

Philosophical question for you: suppose Spiller re-upped with Buffalo for 5 years and $25M with, say, $12M guaranteed. How would you feel?

I suppose you don't have to, but hey, I'd be amused.

Philosophical question for you: suppose Spiller re-upped with Buffalo for 5 years and $25M with, say, $12M guaranteed. How would you feel?

id feel like it was wasted money that could have been spent on a LB, S, CB.

what does 'in' mean?

Also - I'm sick of hearing the CJ is leaving. He's one of our best players, why would we want to lose him from a FO standpoint. What are we looking at for Franchising a RB for next year? Let's get the best years out of him, and ride him a little more???

COME ONE>!?!?!>

id feel like it was wasted money that could have been spent on a LB, S, CB.

Interesting...you know I'm not of that opinion, as I think there are only so many guys with Spiller's skill set at the RB position in the league.

As for wasted money, I guess I don't really understand. I'm not asking you to defend your opinion--just thinking aloud--I don't see the need at CB with McKelvin/Gilmore/Robey/Graham/Cockrell all under contract for at least the next 3 seasons. S would only be an issue if neither Searcy or Duke can grab the SS role. As for LB, we have some young talent there, but I could see them needing another starter.

I guess my viewpoint on that is that the $$ can easily be spent on Spiller without sacrificing the ability to fill in where they need to at other spots.

what does 'in' mean?

Also - I'm sick of hearing the CJ is leaving. He's one of our best players, why would we want to lose him from a FO standpoint. What are we looking at for Franchising a RB for next year? Let's get the best years out of him, and ride him a little more???

COME ONE>!?!?!>

"In" means that there are other threads covering the topic, and I'm getting in on this one before it gets closed/merged.

Interesting...you know I'm not of that opinion, as I think there are only so many guys with Spiller's skill set at the RB position in the league.

As for wasted money, I guess I don't really understand. I'm not asking you to defend your opinion--just thinking aloud--I don't see the need at CB with McKelvin/Gilmore/Robey/Graham/Cockrell all under contract for at least the next 3 seasons. S would only be an issue if neither Searcy or Duke can grab the SS role. As for LB, we have some young talent there, but I could see them needing another starter.

I guess my viewpoint on that is that the $$ can easily be spent on Spiller without sacrificing the ability to fill in where they need to at other spots.

"In" means that there are other threads covering the topic, and I'm getting in on this one before it gets closed/merged.

I don't think that a guy that's been injured literally every single season of his NFL career that is completely unreliable to have a good game or a terrible game is worth any money.

Sure, the games where he plays well are great. Just can't be relied on and are few and far between.

I don't think that a guy that's been injured literally every single season of his NFL career that is completely unreliable to have a good game or a terrible game is worth any money.

Sure, the games where he plays well are great. Just can't be relied on and are few and far between.

Spotty productivity I agree with; the injury thing is a bit misdirected for me given that he's played 14, 16, 16, and 15 games in his 4 NFL seasons.

Let me frame the question another way that I think will answer the part I'm missing: if not Spiller, who do you propose to play the speed back/home-run-hitter role in the offense? I understand that not every team has one; I just happen to feel it's a valuable dynamic to keep in the team's arsenal.

You've probably answered that question before in this discussion; I'm just too lazy to go searching for it :D

Spotty productivity I agree with; the injury thing is a bit misdirected for me given that he's played 14, 16, 16, and 15 games in his 4 NFL seasons.

Let me frame the question another way that I think will answer the part I'm missing: if not Spiller, who do you propose to play the speed back/home-run-hitter role in the offense? I understand that not every team has one; I just happen to feel it's a valuable dynamic to keep in the team's arsenal.

You've probably answered that question before in this discussion; I'm just too lazy to go searching for it :D

the injury thing is not false. Anyone can say he "only missed XX games these years" and anyone else can say that is just more excuses. Like last year when he didn't miss much time but now were making an excuse for the entire season. It's been like that his entire career.

I don't need a "speed/homerun" back that you think we need. Honestly, Freddy had as many big time plays for huge gains as CJ does except he scores on them usually. Just use Fred. Or any of the other backs for that role. It's over rated IMO.

the injury thing is not false. Anyone can say he "only missed XX games these years" and anyone else can say that is just more excuses. Like last year when he didn't miss much time but now were making an excuse for the entire season. It's been like that his entire career.

I don't need a "speed/homerun" back that you think we need. Honestly, Freddy had as many big time plays for huge gains as CJ does except he scores on them usually. Just use Fred. Or any of the other backs for that role. It's over rated IMO.

I didn't say it was patently false, I said it was a bit misdirected. He hasn't missed a lot of time, and yes, last year he played through injuries.

As for Fred having as many huge gains as Spiller, well, that's something I would consider patently false when looking at the numbers since the time when they both starting getting significant touches:

In 2013, CJ was tied for 2nd in the NFL in 20+ yard rushes with 9; Freddie had 1

In 2012, CJ was tied for 2nd in the NFL in 20+ yard rushes with 12; Freddie had 0 (and missed 6 games, which is noteworthy since we're talking about durability)

In 2011 Freddie had a decided advantage in 20+ yard rushes with 10, while CJ had 7 (Freddie missed 6 games in this season as well)

http://espn.go.com/n...rt/rushingYards

So over the last 3 years, CJ has 28 rushes of 20+ yards, while Fred has 11...I would say it isn't even close in the big plays department. It's also worth noting that Freddie does not have a single TD run of 20 yards or more since early in the 2011 season (EDIT: his last one was week 6 of the 2011 season against the Giants in NJ), while CJ has 6 during that same time span.

Again, I'm not trying to change your opinion. I just think that if part of your reasoning for dismissing what CJ brings to the table is based upon Freddie (or anyone else on the team) having equal or greater big-play potential, then it may not be as cut-and-dry as you might've thought from the onset.

Know what I mean?

Oh, and I still want the mighty/beer/wings pics...enough stalling!

Edited by thebandit27

Since Cj has opt out clause can the Bills still transition or franchise tag him?

I wouldn't mind either or since we can match the transition tag or trade him via franchise. We need to have options

I asked that question awhile back and not sure anyone knew at the time - still curious if he is eligible to be franchised if they want more time to negotiate if he opts out on his own.

I asked that question awhile back and not sure anyone knew at the time - still curious if he is eligible to be franchised if they want more time to negotiate if he opts out on his own.

I don't know this, but I would assume that as soon as he officially opts out of his final year, that the Bills would indeed have that option available to them. It would seem silly that they were not (although the NFL has some silly rules).

I didn't say it was patently false, I said it was a bit misdirected. He hasn't missed a lot of time, and yes, last year he played through injuries.

As for Fred having as many huge gains as Spiller, well, that's something I would consider patently false when looking at the numbers since the time when they both starting getting significant touches:

In 2013, CJ was tied for 2nd in the NFL in 20+ yard rushes with 9; Freddie had 1

In 2012, CJ was tied for 2nd in the NFL in 20+ yard rushes with 12; Freddie had 0 (and missed 6 games, which is noteworthy since we're talking about durability)

In 2011 Freddie had a decided advantage in 20+ yard rushes with 10, while CJ had 7 (Freddie missed 6 games in this season as well)

So over the last 3 years, CJ has 28 rushes of 20+ yards, while Fred has 11...I would say it isn't even close in the big plays department. It's also worth noting that Freddie does not have a single TD run of 20 yards or more since early in the 2011 season (EDIT: his last one was week 6 of the 2011 season against the Giants in NJ), while CJ has 6 during that same time span.

Again, I'm not trying to change your opinion. I just think that if part of your reasoning for dismissing what CJ brings to the table is based upon Freddie (or anyone else on the team) having equal or greater big-play potential, then it may not be as cut-and-dry as you might've thought from the onset.

Know what I mean?

Great post. Spiller brings a lot of explosiveness to the offense & that type of big play ability from your RB is very difficult to come by. 28 rushes of 20+ yards to go along with 6 TDs of 20+ is valuable.

He has a career average of 5.1 ypc. He is in the prime of his career as well. I think he adds another much needed dimension to this offense and is primed to have a career year with all of the improvements made to the offense.

Marrone and Hackett are committed to running the ball as well. Why even consider trading him?? Nothing you woukd get back would be as valuable as Spiller will he to this team.

Since Cj has opt out clause can the Bills still transition or franchise tag him?

I wouldn't mind either or since we can match the transition tag or trade him via franchise. We need to have options

he absolutely can be franchise tagged.

Running Back: $9,074,000

not happening.

Edited by papazoid

Know what I mean?

Good post, but i wish you factored in freddie's epic run at the meadowlands last year:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000248559/Jackson-59-yard-run

Edited by dave mcbride

C J is the ultimate team player if he asks to be traded i think it will be because he believes he's not being used enough or correctly . If he is healthy he can be one of the best backs in the league & for one i think the Bills would be foolish to let him go unless he is developing a relationship with Byrds agent .

But i would think if CJ puts up better numbers this year than he did in 2012 he should be paid . The other thing is maybe he sees that Hackett is as much of a rookie coach as some of the players & doesn't want to stick around to see if the experiment works , which i would say i can't say as i would blame him .

He is ultimately a winner & if the coaching staff can get their head & A** wired together they have the talent on the field it's just knowing what to do with it & how to use it .

Very productive last couple pages!!! I'm glad to see things aren't getting pointed and snippy!!!

CJ for president!!! Hahaha jk

shut up. You've got a pig to cook.

Good post, but i wish you factored in freddie's epic run at the meadowlands last year:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000248559/Jackson-59-yard-run

meh. His 20+ yard runs aren't nearly as many as CJs obviously as pointed out. However his 10-20 yard runs is probably higher and I'm almost positive his 5-10 yard gains is higher.

meh. His 20+ yard runs aren't nearly as many as CJs obviously as pointed out. However his 10-20 yard runs is probably higher and I'm almost positive his 5-10 yard gains is higher.

For sure on both accounts.

Freddie is a very good back; just different than what CJ gives you.

For sure on both accounts.

Freddie is a very good back; just different than what CJ gives you.

yeah. CJ is great for Madden. In real life though I'd just rather have Freddy any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I did...it was his one long run last year.

It was less about the yardage than the quality of the run. The jets completely shut down the bills run game that day, but jackson's remarkable effort (and balance) on that play -- where the bills' line collapsed and he was completely stoned -- shows what a good player he is.

To me the something overlooked by fans more than coaches is the ability of an RB to be an effective blocker. This just isn't a stat like YAC or YPK. But coaches review every play and know the details of blown assignments or poor blocks. CJ has improved here but perhaps this is a skillset where CJ has been weaker than some of the other guys.

There is no doubt he's an explosive rare thoroughbred when it comes to busting it up field. But with questions at QB/OL you really want a stud blocking back to help and maybe Doug doesn't trust him 100% to get that done. CJ seems earnest enough but maybe he struggles with the Xs and Os of his assignments more than Fred and others?