What is better, no guns, or more guns?

Nick Kristof Argues with Straw Men about Guns; Straw Men Win

By DAVID FRENCH

Yesterday, the New York Times’ Nick Kristof posted a column that purported to tell his largely progressive readership “how to win an argument about guns.” I’m interested to read good arguments from the other side, so I clicked eager to find how Kristof would best an informed gun-rights advocate in debate.

The short answer, it turns out, is that he wouldn’t.

The column’s pattern is simple: Kristof posits a primitive caricature of a gun-rights argument, delivers a thoroughly inadequate response designed to settle the issue, and then repeats the cycle. In other words, he erects one straw man after another and fails to best any of them.

More at the link: https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/04/nick-kristof-argues-with-straw-men-about-guns-straw-men-win/

91684b5541a0d497f2a22507dfd79a2b_bigger.Sean DavisVerified account @seanmdav
FollowFollow @seanmdav

Old and busted: "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

New hotness: Nobody needs a knife.

No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife. Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law.

I'm not sure I want to take advice from a guy who can't find any use for a knife other than murdering someone

I carry a knife everywhere I go and I find dozens of uses for it, none of which include murdering people

Edited by B-Man
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

But...but...but...I use it to eat my lunch.  

Not anymore. Only criminals use knives. The worst of the lot use assault knives to eat their lunch.

Edited by Koko78

58 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I'm not sure I want to take advice from a guy who can't find any use for a knife other than murdering someone

I carry a knife everywhere I go and I find dozens of uses for it, none of which include murdering people

I carry a locking for and a half inch blade, and Leatherman when dressed for the farm

If I'm out doing real work at sometimes carry a K-Bar

8 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Not anymore. Only criminals use knives. The worst of the lot use assault knives to eat their lunch.

Assault knives with self loading semi-automatic high capacity magazine clips

Doesn't the K in AK-47 stand for Knife?

Y'know what'd be really funny? If London banned knifes, and people started killing each other with forks. 

Mayor of London: "There's no reason for anyone to use a fork! Look at Ethiopia. They just grab some disgusting flatbread and scoop their food by hand. And only four people have ever been killed by flatbread in Ethiopia. Who's with me?"

The London law is clearly targeting gang violence. It's giving more power to law enforcement to stop criminals. This is to protect the innocent, and put more pressure & traps for gang members. The idea that this will hurt the innocent schoolteachers & accountants who walk around with personal-protection switch-blades is very silly. 

It's not going to affect people using knives in rural areas, or whatever. If that happens, if police were to spend more time hassling people over their Swiss army knives when they're camping, rather than on the gang members with switchblades -- nobody would stand for it. But it seems obvious London is looking at the violence & danger presented on the trains or the streets, looking for ways to curb muggings & assaults.

Nevertheless, right-wing media/commenters only focus on rhetoric aspect of it with no appreciation for any nuance... as usual. Any effort to regulate society & improve conditions will be imperfect until all humans are replaced by sentient robots. So what's the better plan?  Give knives & knife-training to all London citizens? Y'know, "the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a knife is a good guy with a knife."

Maybe it'd be better to escalate the situation -- London should legalize handguns again. Better yet, legalize AR-15s. I'm sure that would reduce gang violence.

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Yes. He's advocating for a version of stop and frisk without realizing liberals are on the other side of that issue - because he's an asshat. 

Or because I hold more nuanced views on things than you're able/willing to comprehend. Could it be that I think independently and hold some positions that don't necessarily fit the standard dogma on the left?

Ah but that would be impossible, wouldn't it? In your reality, everything fits neatly into a tidy little box. There is Good and there is Bad. Good happens to be whatever you agree with, and Bad is everything else, and I've noticed that your views on True and False similarly follow.

Despite the repeated claims of "open-mindedness," what I've observed from you is that any time you're presented with an option to consider, or outright reject — you choose the latter. 

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Is the above as dumb a post as I suspect?

Ignorantia beatitudo est.

2 hours ago, LA Grant said:

The London law is clearly targeting gang violence. It's giving more power to law enforcement to stop criminals. This is to protect the innocent, and put more pressure & traps for gang members. The idea that this will hurt the innocent schoolteachers & accountants who walk around with personal-protection switch-blades is very silly. 

Yes, this is a real tweet from a real section of the London's Metropolitan Police. This is the account linked to on their official website. https://www.met.police.uk/your-area/camden/regents-park/?tab=LocalActivity  https://twitter.com/MPSRegentsPark/status/974645778558980096 

DYajKT8WsAEyl8U.jpg

These items were found during a #weaponSweep near #MackworthHouse #AugustasSt during #OpSceptre . Safely disposed and taken off the streets

They are insane.

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

Yes, this is a real tweet from a real section of the London's Metropolitan Police. This is the account linked to on their official website. https://www.met.police.uk/your-area/camden/regents-park/?tab=LocalActivity  https://twitter.com/MPSRegentsPark/status/974645778558980096 

DYajKT8WsAEyl8U.jpg

They are insane.

I'll take things people with a job use for $1000 Alex

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

DYajKT8WsAEyl8U.jpg

They are insane.

But I had a concealed carry permit for those pliers!

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

DYajKT8WsAEyl8U.jpg

Does this classify a Leatherman as an Assault Weapon?

3 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

That has to be a parody account. Has to be. Impossible to imagine this is how London sleeps well at night...knowing they're safe from electricians.

Have you heard of the latest menace to terrorize White Chapel?

Jack the Cable Stripper

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Yes. He's advocating for a version of stop and frisk without realizing liberals are on the other side of that issue - because he's an asshat. 

He's advocating for profiling. Stating that nobody is going to go after businessmen and teachers for carrying a knife, that the law would only be for gang members means that they will search and pat down only suspicious looking people.

• Like (+1) 1

Literally now on the streets of London. 

You can only imagine the pure jealousy running through the veins of American progressives like LAGrant and gator.

"Man, London has the right idea! And look...it's Cookie Monster! He's adorable! Why wouldn't you want to give up your phillips head to this guy?"

Dae4kcxVQAA2QXq.jpg:large

Edited by LABillzFan
  • Haha (+1) 1

Why the !@#$ would they put a picture of a broken bottle on there? Nobody carries around a broken bottle. Don’t they watch movies? You break the bottle at the beginning  of a fight and then stab someone in the face.

And wtf is up with  the Cookie Monster being on there? They really are losing their minds across the pond. 

• Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Literally now on the streets of London. 

You can only imagine the pure jealousy running through the veins of American progressives like LAGrant and gator.

"Man, London has the right idea! And look...it's Cookie Monster! He's adorable! Why wouldn't you want to give up your phillips head to this guy?"

Dae4kcxVQAA2QXq.jpg:large

Hey, look!  A box of free knives!

• Haha (+1) 5

8 hours ago, gatorbait said:

Why the !@#$ would they put a picture of a broken bottle on there? Nobody carries around a broken bottle. Don’t they watch movies? You break the bottle at the beginning  of a fight and then stab someone in the face.

That's not a broken bottle, it's s spork

If we outlaw sporks, only outlaws will have sporks

8 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

That's not a broken bottle, it's s spork

If we outlaw sporks, only outlaws will have sporks

No one, but no one needs an assault spork.

Think of the children, man!

Imho, the OP's question is flawed.

What's BETTER is neither "no guns" or "more guns".

What's better is if our government stopped black-marketing guns around the world!  What's better is our own GOVERNMENT cracking down on ITSELF!!!  I know :lol:

What's better is if this black market could magically "disappear", and lawful, respectable gun owners could go about their business like they've always done.

But it's like the "War on Drugs", right? :rolleyes:  But that's another story.

No one wants guns in the hands of lunatics.  No one.  Except the powers-that-be, of course.  Why?

Makes fertile ground for "social engineering".  For motivating people to protest and get up in arms.  It's sad: such cynical manipulation.  But so it goes.  Because a couple super-deranged people kill a bunch of people, then get rid of the thing that the deranged people used to kill the people.  So let's get rid of Cars!  Because they certainly kill way more people in this country than guns do.

Edited by {::'KayCeeS::}
  • Like (+1) 2