Kiko Alonso tears ACL, then runs a marathon on way to get treatment.

boyst

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better to happen now than in week 4. Bills have time to look for someone and also prepare with out him.

Sucks to have a great young guy go down. Was looking forward to Kiko playing next to Spikes, those two would be nasty together.

Next man up! This is football, injuries happen.

Is there anyone available in free agency or after cuts? Who is his replacement?

Nigel Bradham is most likely the next man up, but the Bills have some nice young depth at LB. The ideal world was to let Preston Brown learn the MLB position behind Spikes and maybe contribue in some subpackages, I doubt they want to start him at WLB but you never know how good of a camp he will have. Rivers is best at SAM but has played WLB. I don't think they will move Lawson back. I think Ty Powell and Randell Johnson could compete for time there as well.

Better situation than Dallas has with Sean Lee. They talked about trying to coax Brian Urlacher out of retirement and now have signed retired schlepp Rolando McClain who has not shown he even wants to play football, out of desperation and lack of confidence in their roster.

there are 3 LBs that start on this team. So he's only 33% of that unit. If you think he's better than Spikes at this point in their careers you are absolutely delusional. Spikes is regarded as the best LB in the league against he run. Considering our run defense was one of the worst it's ever been in our history and that was WITH Kiko here last year.

Get a hold of yourself. I'm not saying it's not going to hurt. But it's not like were losing Peyton Manning for the season here.

That's all true.

Let me just say that Kiko was going to be playing at a different LB position than last season. A position that he is better suited for.

This is why I'm upset that we've lost him for the year, because I was expecting him to have a big impact for us this season.

Now our WLB position is a "?". Can Bradham play good on a consistent level? Do we know what we have in Keith Rivers? Can we expect Preston Brown or Randell Johnson to be day 1 starters?

I don't know about you, but I felt comfortable knowing that Kiko was going to be our WLB starter.

It's been what, 14 hours? I think them taking his pic off of there this soon would look a little weird personally. Does his pic really deter you from wanting to buy season tix if you were planning to do so?

just another huge embarassment in this offseason of great shame. Nearly as big as the texting story, but clearly not close to the jills one.

Poor D! First we lose a good DC in Pettine, a major, major blow in my view. Then we let our best playmaker go in Byrd. Then dareus goes berserk and will likely lose time. And now our most promising LB is gone for a friggin season! Good luck filling those holes.

Wow-- imagine if somehow all of those things had happened on the same day, and maybe mix in RW's death and JK's cancer recurrence. At least the universe was kind enough to spread things out for us a little. For whatever that's worth.

Completely serious. Teams make huge investments in players. Now, before camp even opens, the guy is unavailable for the season. If that could be avoided, why wouldn't you be for that?

Well... since you aren't being sarcastic let's just say it's for the best that you're not a practitioner of sports medicine or anything to do with the human anatomy. If your assumption is that modern professional athletes aren't in shape or don't work out enough in the off season that's laughably inaccurate.

To compound that inaccurate position by taking the stance that this alleged sloth leads to ACL injuries, well that's about as logical as blaming Beerball for the rain in Texas. It makes no sense, it doesn't track, and it's pure fantasy.

The two are not related.

Why shouldn't players work all season (allowing for a few weeks off during the winter to recover)? What's the best argument you can come up with as to why it's a bad idea?

Players do work all season by and large -- across all sports. Modern athletics require it even if the CBA's don't.

That was my point--too much time off before cranking it up leads to injury. We see it every offseason in the NFL.

There is no "off time" for NFL players anymore. Follow any player's twitter, go to any of the universities or sports centers in Los Angeles today and you'll see NBA, NFL, NHL guys working out and training for the upcoming seasons. The workouts are year round.

Your theory is incorrect and unfounded. Not to mention ballsy for calling out someone like Alonzo for a lack of work ethic... incredible.

And getting injured while in game shape (i.e., in season) is the opposite of what I am talking about. Not all injuries can be avoided, but I believe their likelihood certainly can be reduced. It's common sense.

It is common sense... unlike the thesis of your OP.

I think people are ridiculous for saying one of our teams best players. You guys need to get a grip.

Spikes

Dareus

K. Williams

Mario

Gilmore

A. Williams

Jackson

Glenn

Wood

M. Williams

Probably CJ (at least that's what everyone here would like to think)

EJ better be if were gonna have a chance this year

Sammy better be considering we gave up quite a bit to get him

Everyone of those players are arguably better or at least more important than Kiko.

I don't see whats' so ridiculous about saying he's one of our teams best players. :blink:

Considering that he was runner up for DROY, your statement seems more ridiculous. Stil, I've done my share of crazy-talk on this forum so I'll be nice. Suggesting that Spiller with his two touchdowns, or Aaron Williams with his one career INT going into last season are anywhere NEAR the type of impact player Kiko has been is well...(gulp) somewhat uninformed on your part.

I'm not sure what you make of the 87 solo tackles, four INT's and two sacks this kid racked up last year, but please consider the fact that he did it as a ROOKIE. A rookie, that by some accounts was playing out of position at MLB. -By any standard, this is a devastating loss for us. A loss compounded by the fact that this season's D was basically Kiko's. -Tweaked to play to his strengths and abilities as an AMAZING playmaker. Sliding him over to "will" leaves him free to do what Kiko does, which is basically EVERYTHING.

True, the show must go on, and someone obviously needs to step up. I just can't think of who that could be at this point. Kiko Alonso is one hell of an act to try and follow.

Edited by #34fan

Kiko's game and value are all about quickness and speed. The Kiko who will return next year won't be the Kiko of 2013. Think of the very dfferent Merriman that emerged from surgery. I wish him the best but I think he's done, at least as the Kiko we know.

He tore his other ACL a few years ago and he played extremely fast last year, so there is every reason to believe he will be able to return to 100% unless the injury is more severe than the run of the mill torn ACL. The surgery on that kind of stuff is remarkable these days.

just another huge embarassment in this offseason of great shame. Nearly as big as the texting story, but clearly not close to the jills one.

Or the Marrone has BLANK cancer one.

Just heard the news. Noooooooo way!

This team has the worst luck. This is way more devastating than Kolb's injury. Another season over before it has begun.

Maybe a touch of hyperbole or nah?

Just heard on Cleveland sports radio hourly news update:

"Big blow to the Buffalo Bill defense as they learn Kiko Alonso has torn his ACL in off season training and will likely miss the 2014 season. Don't forget, the Browns hold the Bills 1st round pick in 2015."

Edited by YoloinOhio

He tore his other ACL a few years ago and he played extremely fast last year, so there is every reason to believe he will be able to return to 100% unless the injury is more severe than the run of the mill torn ACL. The surgery on that kind of stuff is remarkable these days.

I've had my ACL replaced twice. It's a long recovery, nine months. But with proper rehab, 100% recovery.

Nick Barnett is available and may have something left in the tank

I mentioned earlier in this thread, Erin Henderson in FA. Was released by the Vikings for two DUIs in six weeks. Eight year vet had his best season last season-- 4 sacks, 2 ints, 69 tackles. He can play inside and outside. Claims he is "on the wagon." Why not? Let's keep it deep.

I mentioned earlier in this thread, Erin Henderson in FA. Was released by the Vikings for two DUIs in six weeks. Eight year vet had his best season last season-- 4 sacks, 2 ints, 69 tackles. He can play inside and outside. Claims he is "on the wagon." Why not? Let's keep it deep.

Our new LB coach came from the Vikes (Pagac) so he should know if that would be a good move. I say why not but is he facing suspension with those DUIs?

Kiko's game and value are all about quickness and speed. The Kiko who will return next year won't be the Kiko of 2013. Think of the very dfferent Merriman that emerged from surgery. I wish him the best but I think he's done, at least as the Kiko we know.

this is an ACL injury, not an Achilles. he'll be fine.